Review Course

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vette388

Reaction score
Hi all,

I took the Power PE for my first time in April and failed. I did bad on protection and for some reason the code questions, which is odd since I work with the code book everyday. I wanted to see options on review courses. I like to study on my own, but maybe a course would help? I found many questions on the exam I've never seen before in a practice exam or through study material. I want to take it again in October.

Hi all,

I took the Power PE for my first time in April and failed. I did bad on protection and for some reason the code questions, which is odd since I work with the code book everyday. I wanted to see options on review courses. I like to study on my own, but maybe a course would help? I found many questions on the exam I've never seen before in a practice exam or through study material. I want to take it again in October.
I was in your shoes this time last year. I failed my first time as well. Take a month or two to gather yourself and do things you enjoy. Look at your diagnostics and find material that will help strengthen those areas you did poorly in.  Look on this site for recommendations. For me, I took the GT course and Zachs PE Power Review course. I'm not complaining because I passed on my 2nd try.

ultimately it is up to you which course you take. Study everything again and don't just focus on the areas you didn't do so well in. Good luck I know you can do it. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

I was in your shoes this time last year. I failed my first time as well. Take a month or two to gather yourself and do things you enjoy. Look at your diagnostics and find material that will help strengthen those areas you did poorly in.  Look on this site for recommendations. For me, I took the GT course and Zachs PE Power Review course. I'm not complaining because I passed on my 2nd try.

ultimately it is up to you which course you take. Study everything again and don't just focus on the areas you didn't do so well in. Good luck I know you can do it. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
Hi thank you, I just tried, it said you can not accept messages, I will try again in a bit.

Agreed. Try to unwind before picking up again. I also second Zach's course. His practice problems were fantastic, really made you think about what you were doing and often times made you have to combine several subjects into one to solve which came in very useful during the test for me.

Hi all,

I thought the code questions in this exam were very tricky (especially that ONE B*LL SH*T question). Do you have Tom Henry's Code Index? It's amazing. It saved me and helped me pass. My most used reference during the exam for sure. 

I also had a book on protective relaying that I read a bit and thought it helped for the exam. 

Did you go through the Graffeo guide?

I took School of PE but I do not recommend, a $1300 study guide essentially. If you can get your company to pay for it then it's worth it I guess. I don't recommend watching the lectures though, just go through the printed slides yourself. 

I finally passed it four years ago and was very pleased with GA Tech's course.  I've also heard good things about Zach Stone's course and the School of PE.  If the NEC was a problem I recommend, among their other books, Complex Imaginary's  NEC code drill book.  My approach to the test was to take several passes on exam day as listed below:

1) all easy problems that I could solve without referring to materials

2) All Code problems

3) Problems that I felt good about but required me to use materials.

4) problems that I felt somewhat good about

5) Problems that I had no clue about but had to guess.  In those cases I looked at what my other answers were and chose the letter/number that trended most.

Any problem that could not be worked on their respective pass was moved to the next go around.  By doing all Code problems on the same pass you minimize having to go back and forth between the Code book and other references. 

If you PM me I'll be glad to send you a detailed guide to my study method.  By no means am I an expert.  Just telling you what worked for me.

I thought the code questions in this exam were very tricky (especially that ONE B*LL SH*T question). Do you have Tom Henry's Code Index? It's amazing. It saved me and helped me pass. My most used reference during the exam for sure. 

I also had a book on protective relaying that I read a bit and thought it helped for the exam. 

I took School of PE but I do not recommend, a $1300 study guide essentially. If you can get your company to pay for it then it's worth it I guess. I don't recommend watching the lectures though, just go through the printed slides yourself. 
To be honest, im pretty sure i nailed every code question in this test.

But i live the code... and have done multiple projects in almost every chapter so...

To be honest, im pretty sure i nailed every code question in this test.

But i live the code... and have done multiple projects in almost every chapter so...
I think I got them all right too, there was one question in particular though... it pissed me off. It was meant to trip you up. Wish I could go into more detail buuuut obviously I can't. 

Prior to studying for this exam I had never touched any code before, so I thought that the Tom Henry's really helped. 

I second the Tom Henry endorsement.  I would have been out to sea for most of the code questions without his index of keywords in the book.

Aside from a review course I would recommend bringing the FE handbook to the exam.  I brought it on a lark only to find that there were numerous questions in the exam that I wouldn't have been able to answer without it, as the relevant information was nowhere else in my notes or books.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with all of the above, although I would not recommend the Georgia Tech class. I found it mostly useless except for the NEC section, I regretted wasting time with it for sure. I would highly recommend Zach's Electrical PE Review (www.electricalpereview.com). The whole course is built off of the NCEES PE exam syllabus with each section containing a 5-15 min video working and explaining a problem. It also includes an awesome live class that's interactive and not some guy reading off slides for 3 hours. I will say however that his code section is a bit weak, and doesn't really get you where you need to be as far as sizing equipment, and doing voltage drops.

Tom Henry's index was totally clutch too. I feel like I got the answers to all but one question with this index. I would recommend the FE handbook too, it has tables that I found very useful--probably because it is from NCEES.

In my opinion there were problems on this exam that no amount of practice exams would've prepared you for, not even the NCEES practice exam. The theory and practice provided in the course gave me confidence during and after the exam. 

Hello Vette388

Keep your head up. If its any consolation, I passed, but on my 3rd attempt. I took the SOPE course first attempt, last April. Overall, decent course, it definitely helped.

For me, the biggest difference was understanding what the question is asking. My first 2 tries, I was solving problems, but not truly understanding the concept.

I wish you the best of luck, and hope you find a method that works for you.

On 5/25/2018 at 8:21 AM, Stephen2awesome said:

On 5/25/2018 at 10:20 AM, tschnepf said:
Agreed. Try to unwind before picking up again. I also second Zach's course. His practice problems were fantastic, really made you think about what you were doing and often times made you have to combine several subjects into one to solve which came in very useful during the test for me.

On 5/25/2018 at 10:41 PM, jshar17 said:
I agree with all of the above, although I would not recommend the Georgia Tech class. I found it mostly useless except for the NEC section, I regretted wasting time with it for sure. I would highly recommend Zach's Electrical PE Review (www.electricalpereview.com). The whole course is built off of the NCEES PE exam syllabus with each section containing a 5-15 min video working and explaining a problem. It also includes an awesome live class that's interactive and not some guy reading off slides for 3 hours. I will say however that his code section is a bit weak, and doesn't really get you where you need to be as far as sizing equipment, and doing voltage drops.

Tom Henry's index was totally clutch too. I feel like I got the answers to all but one question with this index. I would recommend the FE handbook too, it has tables that I found very useful--probably because it is from NCEES.

In my opinion there were problems on this exam that no amount of practice exams would've prepared you for, not even the NCEES practice exam. The theory and practice provided in the course gave me confidence during and after the exam. 

@Stephen2awesome@tschnepf Thank you for the mention.

@jshar17 Thank you for the mention and the feedback as well. We are working on overhauling our NEC portion this semester based on similar feedback so it will be just as challenging as the other topics. 

On 5/25/2018 at 7:43 AM, Vette388 said:
Hi all,

Hi @Vette388

We would be more than happy to have you. 

Feel free to try out some of our free material by signing up for the Free Trial of our Online Program (no credit card required) and working your way through our Electrical PE Review - Free Articles.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Vette388

Keep your head up. If its any consolation, I passed, but on my 3rd attempt. I took the SOPE course first attempt, last April. Overall, decent course, it definitely helped.

For me, the biggest difference was understanding what the question is asking. My first 2 tries, I was solving problems, but not truly understanding the concept.

I wish you the best of luck, and hope you find a method that works for you.
Thank you,  I just hope that a class can cover what I didn't get on the test. The ones I didn't do good on the test but for got what type of problems they were. I do agree that they I need to understand the concept more. I can solve problems, maybe just need to get deeper into the concept of them.

How is your course on protective relaying, that was my hardest subject on the test. The rest I know I just need more practice.

@Stephen2awesome@tschnepf Thank you for the mention.

@jshar17 Thank you for the mention and the feedback as well. We are working on overhauling our NEC portion this semester based on similar feedback so it will be just as challenging as the other topics. 

@vette38 we'd be more than happy to have you. 

Feel free to try out some of our free material by signing up for the Free Trial of our Online Program (no credit card required) and working your way through our Electrical PE Review - Free Articles.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

I finally passed it four years ago and was very pleased with GA Tech's course.  I've also heard good things about Zach Stone's course and the School of PE.  If the NEC was a problem I recommend, among their other books, Complex Imaginary's  NEC code drill book.  My approach to the test was to take several passes on exam day as listed below:

1) all easy problems that I could solve without referring to materials

2) All Code problems

3) Problems that I felt good about but required me to use materials.

4) problems that I felt somewhat good about

5) Problems that I had no clue about but had to guess.  In those cases I looked at what my other answers were and chose the letter/number that trended most.

Any problem that could not be worked on their respective pass was moved to the next go around.  By doing all Code problems on the same pass you minimize having to go back and forth between the Code book and other references. 

If you PM me I'll be glad to send you a detailed guide to my study method.  By no means am I an expert.  Just telling you what worked for me.
I took the School of PE course and it was horrendous. I do NOT recommend it.

Hi all,

Did you take the complex imaginary practice tests?  I have it for sale if your interested.  The Complex imaginary code drill book also heped me significantly i felt.  I also took the School of PE course and organized the notes like crazy, practiced with them a lot.  Let me know if you want ot buy the CI books. just PM me

I took the School of PE course and it was horrendous. I do NOT recommend it.
I have to agree the first itme i took it, but the second time they took my feedback and brought on better instructors which I felt was beneficial. 

I second the Tom Henry endorsement.  I would have been out to sea for most of the code questions without his index of keywords in the book.

Aside from a review course I would recommend bringing the FE handbook to the exam.  I brought it on a lark only to find that there were numerous questions in the exam that I wouldn't have been able to answer without it, as the relevant information was nowhere else in my notes or books.
Did you take the whole FE manual or you just need electrical section? 

Did you take the whole FE manual or you just need electrical section? 
Whole manual.  Can't speak for other exams but in the April 2018 one, I was referencing the Engineering Economics section a lot.  

I brought the whole FE manual too and tabbed the economics section based on what I heard from previous examinees, but I also brought a book titled "Engineering Economic Analysis" and was able to use that for the problem(s) in that particular section.

Back