Adding Credentials

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myph PE

Reaction score
So if we have passed the PE exam should we wait until after paying the licensing fee and being assigned a license number before displaying the “PE” credentials? 

You definitely need to wait until after you have your number. Otherwise you would be guilty of misrepresentation. Depending on your states laws and regs there is the potential for fines or even an inability to actually get licensed.

It may not even be a very long wait in your state so don't risk it.

Mods: This question always comes up. Should it be sticky'd for reference in the sub-forum?

You definitely need to wait until after you have your number. Otherwise you would be guilty of misrepresentation. Depending on your states laws and regs there is the potential for fines or even an inability to actually get licensed.

It may not even be a very long wait in your state so don't risk it.

Mods: This question always comes up. Should it be sticky'd for reference in the sub-forum?
How long time shall we wait to get a notification to pay or get a number?

It really depends on a state-by-state basis and how your state board does it. This has probably been addressed in past cycles for Texas... Maybe try checking the October 2017 or April 2017 subforums?

Last edited by a moderator:
So if we have passed the PE exam should we wait until after paying the licensing fee and being assigned a license number before displaying the “PE” credentials? 
Yes, you are not a PE until you have your actual license.  This is even more important in states that decoupled the exam. As harsh as it sounds, it's possible for someone to pass the exam but never become a PE if they don't have the right credentials or experience. 

Yes, you are not a PE until you have your actual license.  This is even more important in states that decoupled the exam. As harsh as it sounds, it's possible for someone to pass the exam but never become a PE if they don't have the right credentials or experience. 
I remember my last email from the board was an approval for licensure, subject to passage the exam..

Waiting for the next email... :beerchug:

Wait however long it takes before adding credentials to your name. States will contact you when they are ready. In the past States would notify people that they passed and give them the next-steps at the same time. Now it's a two step process so that people don't have to stress out about it as long. iI's really cut back on the wait time to learn of pass/fail but at the perceived postponement of getting licensed.

It really depends on a state-by-state basis and how your state board does it. This has probably been addressed in past cycles for Texas... Maybe try checking the October 2017 or April 2017 subforums?
^Always this^ I'd highly recommend this step for everyone who passed regardless of their state. If you can't find it there, please post it in this years respective state thread so that people in the future can look it up.

I remember my last email from the board was an approval for licensure, subject to passage the exam..

Waiting for the next email... :beerchug:
Did you check previous years' Texas thread yet? Do that first.

IIRC, Texas starts issuing licenses to those who have met all of the other requirements very quickly. Have you checked the state license look up yet?

Wait however long it takes before adding credentials to your name. States will contact you when they are ready. In the past States would notify people that they passed and give them the next-steps at the same time. Now it's a two step process so that people don't have to stress out about it as long. iI's really cut back on the wait time to learn of pass/fail but at the perceived postponement of getting licensed.

^Always this^ I'd highly recommend this step for everyone who passed regardless of their state. If you can't find it there, please post it in this years respective state thread so that people in the future can look it up.

Did you check previous years' Texas thread yet? Do that first.

IIRC, Texas starts issuing licenses to those who have met all of the other requirements very quickly. Have you checked the state license look up yet?
thanks for.reminding, i texted a friend who passed the exam last round. he received email from board during the second day.

Every state seems different - If I recall correctly, Maine's policy is that official licensure was subject to passing the exam and the board receiving payment for the license.

It took me a few days after getting my NCEES pass notice.  The board sent an official letter in the mail stating where I could mail my check (letter arrived 1 day after NCEES pass email), the check took two days to travel to the board and for the board to cash it (if I was really eager, I could have hand delivered it that day), and the board then sent me a PDF copy of my license with the online license database showing my PE license as "active".  At that point, it's official.

The wall hanging certificate took 2-3 additional weeks to arrive.

Every state seems different - If I recall correctly, Maine's policy is that official licensure was subject to passing the exam and the board receiving payment for the license.

It took me a few days after getting my NCEES pass notice.  The board sent an official letter in the mail stating where I could mail my check (letter arrived 1 day after NCEES pass email), the check took two days to travel to the board and for the board to cash it (if I was really eager, I could have hand delivered it that day), and the board then sent me a PDF copy of my license with the online license database showing my PE license as "active".  At that point, it's official.

The wall hanging certificate took 2-3 additional weeks to arrive.
:party-smiley-048:

I found out I passed December 4th, my license is dated December 21.  Iowa says they will take 2 weeks, and it was pretty close to that.  They also use an online system that only works in Chrome, (or, well, at least does not work in IE) so I had to get chrome put on my computer to complete my application, so that took a day or two on my end.  Then the back & forth of them reviewing, then asking for payment, then me paying , them receiving payment, and sending my email with my printable card and certificate.

Anyone have any experience with NY state? I had to do a lengthy application with experience and references (and pay a good amount of money) before they would allow me to take the PE exam. NCEES has my exam as passed and when I click next steps it links me to the NY state site where the only information stated is that once you pass to check their website in 4-6 weeks to see if your license has been issued. Are they going to be sending me mail as well?

In Michigan, you apply for the actual license after you pass the PE. I’m using the NCEES record as all my documentation to apply. The steps I took were paying their fee then transmitting my NCEES record. Just sent it as I just received results. Anyone else have experience applying for initial licensure using the NCEES record?

Hi, Y'all! I am completing my work experience field in the PE licensure application. On the FAQ section it was stated that "To meet the requirements of most state licensing boards, select a supervisor or department manager who was licensed as an engineer or surveyor, as appropriate, at the time of your employment. " I spent almost 3 years of my career in the UK and there was nobody with the PE licence in the company that I can go to. 

So the question is, do I really need to provide a supervisor that has PE licence in the work experience contact? I asked to NCEES via live chat and the response was "The work experience contact does not have to be licensed. As long as the person can verify the time you work and the work you do this is all we need." I just wanted to double check others experience on this.

Cheers!

I've never did anything via the NCESS record so I can't comment on how easily states may accept the work experience record and PE supervisor. Someone else may be able to elaborate there.

Some states require you to work under a (licensed) PE for the experience to count. Some don't. I think there are usually exceptions to those rules. For instance, many states will ask you to submit sample(s) of your work IFF you didn't work under a PE. This can make things more complicated and add processing time. Especially if the work was classified or controlled information - but the boards understand that too and there are workarounds.

In Illinois you must have 4 years experience working under a licensed PE. The PE will fill out a VE-PNG form and sign and seal it in an envelope then return it to the applicant to include with his/her application. I just had this conversation with my boss who will help me with my VE-PNG form. He also told me about the required PDH's for renewing licenses.. which i had no idea about.

In Illinois you must have 4 years experience working under a licensed PE. The PE will fill out a VE-PNG form and sign and seal it in an envelope then return it to the applicant to include with his/her application. I just had this conversation with my boss who will help me with my VE-PNG form. He also told me about the required PDH's for renewing licenses.. which i had no idea about.
I got the State Engineering Law and Statutes Exams with 25 questions which involves reading 200 pages of the State Law. Now I'm scared. The PDH, biennial renewals ooph!

+1 for obtaining the NCEES Record as it really accelerates the licensing process and provides additional credibility to those individuals who work in an area that may require licensure with other jurisdictions.

-1 to NCEES for changing their NCEES Record system and essentially invalidating those legacy record holders. :eek:ldman:

Back