Alaska results out

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blybrook PE

Veteran 10k Spammer
Reaction score
Alaska started releasing results from the April 2018 exam this morning around 0945 local.

Good luck to those awaiting their scores.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 6
Lots of oil exploration and drilling, the engineering marvel that is the Alaska pipeline. The tundra and arctic conditions in the north of the state push engineering to the limits. Building in remote isolated areas (no road connections) presents its own challenges. It has seismic issues that would make Californians cringe. Plenty of essential military outposts. And don't get me started on the coastal engineering problems...

Am I missing anything else important?

Ive seen it in the show Meat Eater! Its BEAutiful!! But that's about it.  :D  I don't fly, so I don't think I will ever see it. 😞
Seeing Steve and them hunt Brooks Range & Afognak Island in Alaska reeeallly makes me want to go visit the state sometime. Off topic, but that show is great. Even if you don't hunt, I'd suggest to anyone to check it out on Netflix!

And??? Any word from [mention=35538]mrs blybrook[/mention]??? //content.invisioncic.com/r86644/emoticons/default_dunno.gif
//content.invisioncic.com/r86644/emoticons/default_waitwall.gif
Since she's not on here screaming that she passed, she's let me know what I can update this thread that she did not pass this attempt. She didn't do worse than last time thankfully. She got the exact same score as her first attempt.

Now we figure out when she's going to try again. Not likely going to be in October due to summer activities...
Maybe she'll keep us posted!

Lots of oil exploration and drilling, the engineering marvel that is the Alaska pipeline. The tundra and arctic conditions in the north of the state push engineering to the limits. Building in remote isolated areas (no road connections) presents its own challenges. It has seismic issues that would make Californians cringe. Plenty of essential military outposts. And don't get me started on the coastal engineering problems...
Am I missing anything else important?
Only thing you didn't mention are the volcanos.

We have just about every type of natural disaster your can design for somewhere in the state. We also have nearly every soil / rock type and weather condition imaginable.

If anyone wants to truly visit, be sure to take the ferry and then drive the main road to the oil fields and back. You'll really experience the differing conditions.

Sigh. Yep. I failed. Again. I think I need a break from studying. I think I will retake it in April. I felt so prepared....heck, I even got some of those (foreign topic to me) transportation questions right! I am now trying to remind myself that there is more to life than this **** exam....lol

Theres engineering in Alaska?!?! :D
You come try to design a 200' raise to a major diversion dam in discontinuous permafrost in steep terrain, complete with stream inlet and outlet structures, a diversion channel and access road, an outlet basin with a huge HDPE pipe dropping down off a mountain with multiple thrust blocks to resist the forces, a stilling basin to decrease the rapid velocity, etc etc etc, and all the while doing this in the field with freaking mosquitoes the size of birds everywhere. Yeah, we have just a wee bit of engineering challenges here. And yes, that is a real project I spent two years working on at a remote mine in Alaska. Every type of earthwork and construction imaginable, in bedrock and multiple soil types, seismic area of course, and oh yeah, gotta comply with all those State and Fed wetland regs too. It was awesome!! But if you have never been here or even thought about how things are constructed here, then maybe consider that engineering in AK presents far more challenging conditions than your basic Lower 48 everyday projects. :D And yes, we love the challenges!

Only thing you didn't mention are the volcanos.

We have just about every type of natural disaster your can design for somewhere in the state. We also have nearly every soil / rock type and weather condition imaginable.

If anyone wants to truly visit, be sure to take the ferry and then drive the main road to the oil fields and back. You'll really experience the differing conditions.

Yeah, you guys mentioned most everything...don't forget the mosquitoes. They matter.

Sigh. Yep. I failed. Again. I think I need a break from studying. I think I will retake it in April. I felt so prepared....heck, I even got some of those (foreign topic to me) transportation questions right! I am now trying to remind myself that there is more to life than this **** exam....lol
You didn't fail.  You just didn't pass this time...

You didn't fail.  You just didn't pass this time...
Well said. Now, if only NCEES would change the 'fail' nomenclature on the first screen to 'unsuccessful attempt' like it says on the second screen.  That screen doesn't hurt as much for some reason. 

Dangit.  Enjoy your summer off, I think waiting till April is a good move, it was so hard to study in the summer months when all I wanted to do was, well, really anything else.  

Back