Additional materials along with the EET course

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikR_PE

Philosopher
Reaction score
I am planning to take the PE exam in Oct 2018. I have currently enrolled in the EET courses. I wanted to know what other study materials did people use apart from their binders. Any insight and suggestions would be helpful.

For practice problems, definitely get your hands on the NCEES issued PE practice exam. It only provides 40 breadth questions and 40 structural depth questions, but these questions are definitely the best representation of problems on the actual exam that you will find anywhere, because they are problems that have been on prior exams.

Truly, I think EET (particularly if you're signed up for both the breadth and depth classes) provides a TON of practice problems. I couldn't even finish them all when I took the EET courses, and passed, on my third attempt at the structural depth. My last time studying, I used basically only these problems and the NCEES practice exam as practice problems.

If you really want more, I'd also suggest the CERM and the PPI practice problem book that accompanies the CERM. The problems in the practice problems book are lengthier than you'll probably see on the actual exam, but are good for checking concepts and really understanding topics.

I wouldn't bother with the PPI 6 minute solutions.

Personally, I think you'd be well off with the EET binders and the CERM by itself. But that's just based on my own experience. Others might have different ideas!

EET's binders are the best, especially all the example problems they have are better than any other book I found. I did bring the CERM also and had a few problems in the morning that were almost word for word in the CERM. I did a handfull of other practice problem books, but don't waste your time with 6 minute solutions, they are way too long and drawn out and you will get frustrated with it (it may help in understanding some concepts but as I whole I found it frustrating to work through while also trying to practice speed).

And also bring all the codes listed, it doesn't matter how good the EET binders, or CERM, or any other reference is, there will be multiple problems that all is required is you find the right line of code to answer and it is usually a very uncommon topic that most engineers wouldn't know offhand.

For practice problems, definitely get your hands on the NCEES issued PE practice exam. It only provides 40 breadth questions and 40 structural depth questions, but these questions are definitely the best representation of problems on the actual exam that you will find anywhere, because they are problems that have been on prior exams.

Truly, I think EET (particularly if you're signed up for both the breadth and depth classes) provides a TON of practice problems. I couldn't even finish them all when I took the EET courses, and passed, on my third attempt at the structural depth. My last time studying, I used basically only these problems and the NCEES practice exam as practice problems.

If you really want more, I'd also suggest the CERM and the PPI practice problem book that accompanies the CERM. The problems in the practice problems book are lengthier than you'll probably see on the actual exam, but are good for checking concepts and really understanding topics.

Personally, I think you'd be well off with the EET binders and the CERM by itself. But that's just based on my own experience. Others might have different ideas!
What other references material did you bring for the morning exam portion besides the EET binders?

What other references material did you bring for the morning exam portion besides the EET binders?
I really only brought the EET binders, the CERM, my binders that had practice problems worked out (often in the EET binder), the NCEES practice exam, and the codes. The codes I brought with me were the IBC, ASCE, AISC, NDS, ACI, and TMS. I did not bring the PCI, AASHTO, nor OSHA.

Thank you for all the input guys. This is very helpful.

I do have most of the codes i received from my office colleague. But the specifications have changed since APR 2018. Is there any better (or economical) way to buy/rent these and opposed to buying at the high price.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for your reply. I do have the NCEES practice exam and the CERM.

I am taking the EET on demand classes. I heard that they give out homework / tests after every class. Are these already part of the binders mailed to me or these are provided later in the adobeconnect?

Thanks for your reply. I do have the NCEES practice exam and the CERM.

I am taking the EET on demand classes. I heard that they give out homework / tests after every class. Are these already part of the binders mailed to me or these are provided later in the adobeconnect?
Most practice problems are already included in the binders. Sometimes, additional problems will be posted on Adobe Connect, which you can download. All the professors do it a bit differently, but you can bet there will be a TON of problems already in the binders when you receive them.

Most practice problems are already included in the binders. Sometimes, additional problems will be posted on Adobe Connect, which you can download. All the professors do it a bit differently, but you can bet there will be a TON of problems already in the binders when you receive them.
Thanks

Back