Why it's taking so long Rant

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new_at_this

Reaction score
I don't get why NCEES takes so long for grading and publishing a simple scantron. If it's for the eraser, I would  blame their incompetence. The fee for the test is not nominal. They should be able to give us a good pencil and an eraser at the least. If they are too poor to do that, why not bump the registration fee by a few dollar so that they can buy a proper eraser. 

This "8-10 weeks" response is also nauseating because they almost always publish the result before that. Why not just give us a specific timeline and release the result on that day.  

LOL...<smh>

2961175776_b341ca0fc5.jpg

I'm sure they do the 8-10 week canned response because (A) they get hounded about the results release hundreds of times a day, and (B) they need that wiggle room should they need it.

The results will be here before you know it. Waiting is the WORST but you're almost there.  Hang in there! You'll know very soon.

What is you guys' feeling about results being released today? As much as I'd like for that to happen... I'm thinking it'll be more like Thursday.... ugh....

It's also not as easy as a "simple scantron". Try volunteering to review exam questions for future cycles. You'll definitely have a much better appreciation for the depth of this process.

It's also not as easy as a "simple scantron". Try volunteering to review exam questions for future cycles. You'll definitely have a much better appreciation for the depth of this process.
I appreciate the exam taking process, question standard, and so on. However, I don't agree that grading, curve setting, and publishing results is a complex process. I was engaged in public exam administration (both written and scantron) process that involved more than a million students. It never took us more than 9 weeks to publish the results. 

However, I don't agree that grading, curve setting, and publishing results is a complex process. 
You don't have to agree with it. You are just simply misinformed on all that is involved with all the different state jurisdictions and very specific exam disciplines (note, these are given only once per cycle). There's a difference in giving an exam for a focused area vs. that of being nation-wide. Again, I encourage you to get involved to become more familiar with the NCEES process as it relates to the PE exam administration.

You don't have to agree with it. You are just simply misinformed on all that is involved with all the different state jurisdictions and very specific exam disciplines (note, these are given only once per cycle). There's a difference in giving an exam for a focused area vs. that of being nation-wide. Again, I encourage you to get involved to become more familiar with the NCEES process as it relates to the PE exam administration.
Sure! Any direction on how to get involved? I would be happy to after (when) I pass the test....

Its not just grading a scantron. Some exams like the EE Power were new versions. This means some of those questions were test run on us. They need to review those and look at outliers, red flag problems, possible ambiguities, rBis etc  to see what to adjust. The new changes to the specs will be board evaluated by sampling our answers. These board meetings were scheduled May 18th and 19th last Thursday and Friday. Not from there they need to determine cut scores etc...  Since we have a long wait, read through this and you’ll understand better what/why we are waiting on.

Good read straight from NCEES:

Here's an excerpt:

The passing score is determined in one of two ways.
•  For the first administration of a new exam or specification change (the anchor exam), a cut-score panel recommends the score. (Ie this new April 2018 specification change)
•  For subsequent administrations, a statistical procedure known as “equating” is used to set the score relative to the anchor exam

Its not just grading a scantron. Some exams like the EE Power were new versions. This means some of those questions were test run on us. They need to review those and look at outliers, red flag problems, possible ambiguities, rBis etc  to see what to adjust. The new changes to the specs will be board evaluated by sampling our answers. These board meetings were scheduled May 18th and 19th last Thursday and Friday. Not from there they need to determine cut scores etc...  Since we have a long wait, read through this and you’ll understand better what/why we are waiting on.

Here's an excerpt:

•  For the first administration of a new exam or specification change (the anchor exam), a cut-score panel recommends the score. (Ie this new April 2018 specification change)
•  For subsequent administrations, a statistical procedure known as “equating” is used to set the score relative to the anchor exam
You would think they would have held these meetings earlier than May 18 and 19 for a new exam...

Here's an excerpt:

That's how standardized tests like GRE work. They declare beforehand that some of the questions will be for "Research" and not be graded for the current exam takers to determine their score. However, depending on how everyone is doing on those questions, they will adjust/revise those questions which then will be used as "actual" question for future test takers. 

Back