Engineer Boards
​ ​
BridgeGT

April 2018 SE Exam Results

On 6/22/2018 at 6:30 PM, kenny509 said:

Is anyone from Hawaii still waiting for their results?

I emailed the board but they aren't responding.

Read this post from Oct April 2017 results

Had one colleague pass and one fail the Hawaii April 2017 exam. The former got his congrats letter within several days of the first day. The latter had a long wait and had his result posted on the NCEES site (probably after the board meeting based on above).

I really hope thats not what they are doing. The results came out from NCEES one day after the board meeting so I'm also not hoping that I have to wait another month...

I think for those who passed, you should've received results by mail mid-week last week.  It took a few days for the board to give NCEES approval to post results as i just received an email from NCEES saying that the results have been posted.  

I wanted to add my experience and results to this thread. Thanks to everyone who has already shared - some very valuable insight out there. I see that someone already has a similar score (but slightly higher) posted as unacceptable, but I wanted to share my results as well for helping with compiling passing cut scores in the future.

First time taker, California, Buildings, Vertical & Lateral exams. I am a Civil PE, with 12 years of structural design engineering experience. Began review during the week between Christmas & New Years, continuing until the week of the exam. I work full time and travel throughout the US frequently for work. I have a young family as well. I used the PPI review material and on-demand course, diligently sticking to the posted homework and lecture schedule. I took both the PPI and NCEES practice exams - NCEES around 2-3 weeks before exams, PPI the week of the exams. I put in about 320 hours of review over 15 weeks, studying all topics regardless of my experience in practice, with the following approximate break-down: 205 hours of code/reference book review & problem solving; 80 hours of lectures; 35 hours of practice exams; nearly 500 total pages of worked problems.

Exam results:

• Vertical - Acceptable
  • Lateral  - Unacceptable
    • AM: 20/40
    • PM: A/A/A/A

I managed to waste around 45 minutes on Lateral AM reworking problems I was certain would produce answers, but did not - most certainly lead to my demise.

I am sitting Lateral again this October in California, and will probably give another 2 months of review to the effort for good measure.

I hope my experiences can help some other people out there. Best of luck to everyone!

23 hours ago, camerongtaylor said:

I wanted to add my experience and results to this thread. Thanks to everyone who has already shared - some very valuable insight out there. I see that someone already has a similar score (but slightly higher) posted as unacceptable, but I wanted to share my results as well for helping with compiling passing cut scores in the future.

First time taker, California, Buildings, Vertical & Lateral exams. I am a Civil PE, with 12 years of structural design engineering experience. Began review during the week between Christmas & New Years, continuing until the week of the exam. I work full time and travel throughout the US frequently for work. I have a young family as well. I used the PPI review material and on-demand course, diligently sticking to the posted homework and lecture schedule. I took both the PPI and NCEES practice exams - NCEES around 2-3 weeks before exams, PPI the week of the exams. I put in about 320 hours of review over 15 weeks, studying all topics regardless of my experience in practice, with the following approximate break-down: 205 hours of code/reference book review & problem solving; 80 hours of lectures; 35 hours of practice exams; nearly 500 total pages of worked problems.

Exam results:

• Vertical - Acceptable
  • Lateral  - Unacceptable
    • AM: 20/40
    • PM: A/A/A/A

I managed to waste around 45 minutes on Lateral AM reworking problems I was certain would produce answers, but did not - most certainly lead to my demise.

I am sitting Lateral again this October in California, and will probably give another 2 months of review to the effort for good measure.

I hope my experiences can help some other people out there. Best of luck to everyone!

Wow, just missed by a handful of multiple choice questions. Darn! You'll get'em next time.

Just for a reference point to those who did not pass, this is somebody with 12 years of experience in California. When I passed I had about 15 years of experience, mostly in the Southeast, but I did quite a few projects in heavy seismic and wind areas.  I took Lateral first and Vertical next (Split up the components folks!) and studied probably as much as Cameron did for each component.  Point being - a lot of this exam has to do with experience, along with literally a year's worth of study.   

If you are at the beginning of your career (5-8 years), you may want to wait a little while to get some more experience.  In the meantime, go ahead and get your PE and "study as you go" with work, etc. A couple co-workers decided to take that route and they seem content with a PE at this point in their careers.   

17 hours ago, David Connor, SE said:

Wow, just missed by a handful of multiple choice questions. Darn! You'll get'em next time.

Just for a reference point to those who did not pass, this is somebody with 12 years of experience in California. When I passed I had about 15 years of experience, mostly in the Southeast, but I did quite a few projects in heavy seismic and wind areas.  I took Lateral first and Vertical next (Split up the components folks!) and studied probably as much as Cameron did for each component.  Point being - a lot of this exam has to do with experience, along with literally a year's worth of study.   

If you are at the beginning of your career (5-8 years), you may want to wait a little while to get some more experience.  In the meantime, go ahead and get your PE and "study as you go" with work, etc. A couple co-workers decided to take that route and they seem content with a PE at this point in their careers.   

I've taken both twice and failed both twice now.  In retrospect, I wish I broke up the days.  I am in that 5-8 year range.  I underestimated just how much studying there was to do, and just how much deep learning had to be done before I could even begin "studying the test" so to speak.

While I hear you on breaking the days up, I'll probably take them both together again since I have so many study hours logged.  I want to be done "studying" and in total "practice" mode by September.  I am working your bridge book right now.

5 hours ago, TheBigGuy said:

I've taken both twice and failed both twice now.  In retrospect, I wish I broke up the days.  I am in that 5-8 year range.  I underestimated just how much studying there was to do, and just how much deep learning had to be done before I could even begin "studying the test" so to speak.

While I hear you on breaking the days up, I'll probably take them both together again since I have so many study hours logged.  I want to be done "studying" and in total "practice" mode by September.  I am working your bridge book right now.

Best of luck to you TheBigGuy.  Hopefully you can knock out at least one of the components this time around. 

Does anyone have experience with failing an exam twice?  I have passed vertical and am somewhat close on lateral.  According to the MA board you need to provide additional experience or education to demonstrate you have addressed deficient areas.  Seems a little ridiculous with the low pass rates.  Does a couple more months of experience provide them with enough to allow you to retake? 

4 hours ago, bcn989 said:

Does anyone have experience with failing an exam twice?  I have passed vertical and am somewhat close on lateral.  According to the MA board you need to provide additional experience or education to demonstrate you have addressed deficient areas.  Seems a little ridiculous with the low pass rates.  Does a couple more months of experience provide them with enough to allow you to retake? 

they make you describe your experience in the areas your scored poorly on in the exam???

21 hours ago, bcn989 said:

I think all you need to do is take a review course and provide them with evidence that you took it.

I took and passed vertical last year but failed lateral this year.

AM: 24/40 

PM: Acceptable/Acceptable/Acceptable/Slight Improvement Needed.

It is baffling the areas I was deficient in as those are the areas I do most of my work in. I guess living in the northeast not typically designing for seismic put me at a bit of a disadvantage. I think I didn't read the problems and the code-provisions I was citing closely enough. I need to read more thoroughly as to what they are asking and what the code is actually telling me next time.

49 minutes ago, rickaccused said:

I took and passed vertical last year but failed lateral this year.

AM: 24/40 

PM: Acceptable/Acceptable/Acceptable/Slight Improvement Needed.

It is baffling the areas I was deficient in as those are the areas I do most of my work in. I guess living in the northeast not typically designing for seismic put me at a bit of a disadvantage. I think I didn't read the problems and the code-provisions I was citing closely enough. I need to read more thoroughly as to what they are asking and what the code is actually telling me next time.

You were only about 4-6 multiple choice questions away. Your afternoon was good enough to pass. You're close keep pushing!

• Like 1

On 6/19/2018 at 8:17 PM, deviationz said:

Used quite a few different materials.

Alan Willams - Seismic and Wind Design examples

Seismic Design Manual Volume 1

AISC Seismic Design Manual

Seismic Design of building structures (PPI)

Seismic Design solved problems - Baradar

Wood design Breyer for wood diaphragms and shear walls

Masonry Design book - Brandow and Hart. Very good book for cheap from the Masonry association of Calif and Nevada. Used the Amrhein book as well for specific checks.

Purchased the code master series from SK Ghosh associates. Didn't find it very useful except for the masonry portions.

Did you find any of these books to not be worth your time or did you find them all relatively useful?

I found them all to be useful in some form. Even after your test, you will find these books (all except maybe the PPI books on Seismic Design and Seismic Solved problems) to be useful to have as a practicing engineer. However, the PPI books are useful to get problem solving experience. There is nothing that can replace solving as many different problems as possible.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2018 at 1:30 PM, MathsWell said:

I passed gravity! Passed the lateral last October. I'm just extremely glad to have this behind me.

I failed the lateral the first time. Took the EET courses after that and got passing results for anyone looking at what to do next.

hi! I know this is a really really after the fact thing - but how much time did you spend studying outside of the EET course? I'm setting up my study schedule for april 2019 lateral, and have no idea what amount of stuff they give you as homework problems/quizzes, and I want to block out enough time for getting some other practice problems out of the way before the course starts. Also, if you have the schedules for the courses still, that would be super helpful for me! (to project when in dec/jan everything will be starting up, how long of a break for xmas etc). Thank you in advance :)

Finally, I Passed Seismic Exam ! ! ! 

I tried that many times...I recommended Dr. Shahin Mansour Books.

• Like 2

On 8/8/2018 at 3:46 PM, tj_PE said:

hi! I know this is a really really after the fact thing - but how much time did you spend studying outside of the EET course? I'm setting up my study schedule for april 2019 lateral, and have no idea what amount of stuff they give you as homework problems/quizzes, and I want to block out enough time for getting some other practice problems out of the way before the course starts. Also, if you have the schedules for the courses still, that would be super helpful for me! (to project when in dec/jan everything will be starting up, how long of a break for xmas etc). Thank you in advance :)

Honestly, the course is very thorough and inclusive. I didn't spend much time outside of the class studying other 2 additional practice tests I took closer to the exam date. For the lateral exam, I did read some of "Seismic and Wind Forces Design Examples" by Alan Williams just to get another perspective to the material but I don't think that's really necessary. I don't have any schedules but the class moves quickly and there is plenty of practice material between the quizzes and homework. I think you'll find you have your hands full, especially if you're taking both courses at the same time. For an example timeline, I started covering material in mid July for the October exam, and early to mid January for the April Exam. Hope this helps!

• Thanks 1