PENNSYLVANIA IS OUT

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And you have to buy it by the case too.

Fun fact: Pennsylvania is the seconds largest wholesale buyer of wine and spirits after Quebec.

Last edited by a moderator:
of their **** minds with the state liquor laws.  Seriously, why can't I buy beer at the grocery store or a convenience store?  

To my coworker... sorry  :party-smiley-048:
I have been to PA once, and yes it was extremely frustrating to have to go to a "beer" store. What the hell is that about.

On the bright side, you don't have the insane WA state liquor taxes. We have 2 seperate taxes if you buy booze: 1. State liquor sales tax. (20.5%) 2. Alcohol by volume tax. ($3.7708/liter) It ends up adding about 50-60% of the sticker price. 

Tennessee has gotten a lot more progressive in thier liquor laws recently.  Liquor stors now open 7 days a week and grocery stores can sell wine (they can't sell it yet on Sundays until 2019 though).

I have been to PA once, and yes it was extremely frustrating to have to go to a "beer" store. What the hell is that about.

On the bright side, you don't have the insane WA state liquor taxes. We have 2 seperate taxes if you buy booze: 1. State liquor sales tax. (20.5%) 2. Alcohol by volume tax. ($3.7708/liter) It ends up adding about 50-60% of the sticker price. 
It's a relic of a bygone era. The theory is to make it more inconvenient to by alcohol so people will buy less of it. And then, only highly trained and responsible people can sell it. Anything over 5% has to be sold be the Commonwealth.

Beer (with a few exceptions) sold by the case, with the theory that having to buy more and spend more, will discourage people from causally buying it. I think it just encourages people to drink more.

We have awful alcohol taxes, not as bad as that though. They're called the Johnstown flood tax. It was to pay for the Johnstown dam breaking (twice) and destroying the town (twice). Nevermind that that was like a 100 years ago. Most people on the eastern side go to Jersey or (even better) Delaware to buy alcohol.

It's a relic of a bygone era. The theory is to make it more inconvenient to by alcohol so people will buy less of it. And then, only highly trained and responsible people can sell it. Anything over 5% has to be sold be the Commonwealth.

Beer (with a few exceptions) sold by the case, with the theory that having to buy more and spend more, will discourage people from causally buying it. I think it just encourages people to drink more.

We have awful alcohol taxes, not as bad as that though. They're called the Johnstown flood tax. It was to pay for the Johnstown dam breaking (twice) and destroying the town (twice). Nevermind that that was like a 100 years ago. Most people on the eastern side go to Jersey or (even better) Delaware to buy alcohol.
On a more technical side of that BS... California now has Certified Lighting Controls Technicians to make sure that toggle switches, motion sensors, etc. work as required per the energy codes for new construction.  

Switch On -> Switch Off.  $5000 dollars please.  

On a more technical side of that BS... California now has Certified Lighting Controls Technicians to make sure that toggle switches, motion sensors, etc. work as required per the energy codes for new construction.  

Switch On -> Switch Off.  $5000 dollars please.  
Hahaha, add that to the loooong list of reasons I will never move to CA. Plus their new mandatory solar panels.. what a joke. 

not sure if it's worse but Kansas has 3.2 beer in grocery and convenience stores... which is really just taunting us. I'd rather it not be there at all than have to look at the sad shell of greatness that is 3.2 beer.

I'm not sure if it passed, but New Jersey was trying to mandate sprinkler's in ALL new residential construction...
Fire sprinklers are part of the IRC.  Most jurisdictions have not yet adopted the versions that inclued this provision or have opted out of that provision.

Fire sprinklers are part of the IRC.  Most jurisdictions have not yet adopted the versions that inclued this provision or have opted out of that provision.
Another goofy regulation in there is that new construction cannot have a traditional fireplace.  The only fireplaces allowed in new construction is vented gas fireplaces.  Some states have left out that provision, but I believe in PA you cannot get a fireplace without some sort of waiver.

Another goofy regulation in there is that new construction cannot have a traditional fireplace.  The only fireplaces allowed in new construction is vented gas fireplaces.  Some states have left out that provision, but I believe in PA you cannot get a fireplace without some sort of waiver.
In my Jurisdiction (Oxnard, CA) Fire sprinklers have been mandatory in (N) construction since the 80's.

Hahaha, add that to the loooong list of reasons I will never move to CA. Plus their new mandatory solar panels.. what a joke. 
As for "mandatory" solar panels, there is a stipulation that all (N) construction be solar ready, you don't have to put panels up.

Back