PENNSYLVANIA IS OUT - APR 2018 - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Clemson CE, P.E.

PENNSYLVANIA IS OUT

of their damn minds with the state liquor laws.  Seriously, why can't I buy beer at the grocery store or a convenience store?  

To my coworker... sorry :party-smiley-048:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

And you have to buy it by the case too.

Fun fact: Pennsylvania is the seconds largest wholesale buyer of wine and spirits after Quebec.

Edited by RBHeadge PE

2 minutes ago, Clemson CE, P.E. said:

of their damn minds with the state liquor laws.  Seriously, why can't I buy beer at the grocery store or a convenience store?  

To my coworker... sorry :party-smiley-048:

I have been to PA once, and yes it was extremely frustrating to have to go to a "beer" store. What the hell is that about.

On the bright side, you don't have the insane WA state liquor taxes. We have 2 seperate taxes if you buy booze: 1. State liquor sales tax. (20.5%) 2. Alcohol by volume tax. ($3.7708/liter) It ends up adding about 50-60% of the sticker price. 

• Sad 1

Tennessee has gotten a lot more progressive in thier liquor laws recently.  Liquor stors now open 7 days a week and grocery stores can sell wine (they can't sell it yet on Sundays until 2019 though).

2 minutes ago, Jackal301 said:

I have been to PA once, and yes it was extremely frustrating to have to go to a "beer" store. What the hell is that about.

On the bright side, you don't have the insane WA state liquor taxes. We have 2 seperate taxes if you buy booze: 1. State liquor sales tax. (20.5%) 2. Alcohol by volume tax. ($3.7708/liter) It ends up adding about 50-60% of the sticker price. 

It's a relic of a bygone era. The theory is to make it more inconvenient to by alcohol so people will buy less of it. And then, only highly trained and responsible people can sell it. Anything over 5% has to be sold be the Commonwealth.

Beer (with a few exceptions) sold by the case, with the theory that having to buy more and spend more, will discourage people from causally buying it. I think it just encourages people to drink more.

We have awful alcohol taxes, not as bad as that though. They're called the Johnstown flood tax. It was to pay for the Johnstown dam breaking (twice) and destroying the town (twice). Nevermind that that was like a 100 years ago. Most people on the eastern side go to Jersey or (even better) Delaware to buy alcohol.

Just now, RBHeadge PE said:

It's a relic of a bygone era. The theory is to make it more inconvenient to by alcohol so people will buy less of it. And then, only highly trained and responsible people can sell it. Anything over 5% has to be sold be the Commonwealth.

Beer (with a few exceptions) sold by the case, with the theory that having to buy more and spend more, will discourage people from causally buying it. I think it just encourages people to drink more.

We have awful alcohol taxes, not as bad as that though. They're called the Johnstown flood tax. It was to pay for the Johnstown dam breaking (twice) and destroying the town (twice). Nevermind that that was like a 100 years ago. Most people on the eastern side go to Jersey or (even better) Delaware to buy alcohol.

On a more technical side of that BS... California now has Certified Lighting Controls Technicians to make sure that toggle switches, motion sensors, etc. work as required per the energy codes for new construction.  

Switch On -> Switch Off.  $5000 dollars please.  

4 minutes ago, Szar said:

On a more technical side of that BS... California now has Certified Lighting Controls Technicians to make sure that toggle switches, motion sensors, etc. work as required per the energy codes for new construction.  

Switch On -> Switch Off.  $5000 dollars please.  

Hahaha, add that to the loooong list of reasons I will never move to CA. Plus their new mandatory solar panels.. what a joke. 

Just now, Jackal301 said:

Hahaha, add that to the loooong list of reasons I will never move to CA. Plus their new mandatory solar panels.. what a joke. 

I'm not sure if it passed, but New Jersey was trying to mandate sprinkler's in ALL new residential construction...

not sure if it's worse but Kansas has 3.2 beer in grocery and convenience stores... which is really just taunting us. I'd rather it not be there at all than have to look at the sad shell of greatness that is 3.2 beer.

18 minutes ago, Szar said:

I'm not sure if it passed, but New Jersey was trying to mandate sprinkler's in ALL new residential construction...

Fire sprinklers are part of the IRC.  Most jurisdictions have not yet adopted the versions that inclued this provision or have opted out of that provision.

23 minutes ago, JohnLee said:

@Clemson CE, P.E. you are in Clemson you should have some insight, Right ?

Nope.  Just a Clemson Alumni.  I do know some of the professors that sit on the board, but not well enough to ask them anything (not that I think they would tell me even if I did).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ruggercsc said:

Fire sprinklers are part of the IRC.  Most jurisdictions have not yet adopted the versions that inclued this provision or have opted out of that provision.

Interesting... did not know that but just looked it up!

I wonder if its helping any...

1 minute ago, ruggercsc said:

Another goofy regulation in there is that new construction cannot have a traditional fireplace.  The only fireplaces allowed in new construction is vented gas fireplaces.  Some states have left out that provision, but I believe in PA you cannot get a fireplace without some sort of waiver.

20 minutes ago, Clemson CE, P.E. said:

Another goofy regulation in there is that new construction cannot have a traditional fireplace.  The only fireplaces allowed in new construction is vented gas fireplaces.  Some states have left out that provision, but I believe in PA you cannot get a fireplace without some sort of waiver.

In my Jurisdiction (Oxnard, CA) Fire sprinklers have been mandatory in (N) construction since the 80's.

49 minutes ago, Jackal301 said:

As for "mandatory" solar panels, there is a stipulation that all (N) construction be solar ready, you don't have to put panels up.

7 minutes ago, kmill23 said:

There's good trolling that is funny/witty.  Then there are dipshits like @Stephen2awesome who apparently thinks he's witty/funny and doesn't get the hint that his 'bumps' are stupid AF.

you could grow up and ignore if you're that upset.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok guys, deep breath...results aren't coming out today.  You'll know when the results release is legit.  You'll see multiple state threads popping up and it won't just be these troll threads being bumped up.  I know it's stressful waiting, but take a step back if these posts are getting to you.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, StructuralVFL said:

That’s rich...

3 minutes ago, kmill23 said:

I'm not upset.  Just pointing out your lack of self-awareness.  You're not funny.  Your posts are not amusing or witty.  At least put some effort into your trolling.  

You're letting both your anxiety and uncertainty get the best of you, thus getting your hopes up when seeing my bumps.

• Like 2