Supply air termination at windows

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruggercsc

I was once fast and scrappy, then lost my s's
EB Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been working on Design Build multi-family and lodging facilities for a number of years and the issue of  where to terminate the supply air in bedrooms always comes up.  Some of our consulting ME's are insistent on terminating the supply near the windows, while others are a lot less concerned about it.  I always thought the old school way of thinking was windows were drafty/leaky and you needed the air supply to terminate there to account for this.

This topic comes up at just about every Constructibility and VE meeting. Ten feet of duct is not a big deal, but 10' x No. of bedrooms x no. of units adds up on large projects.

Thanks in advance for any input on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to imagine why it would matter.  From what perspective is this an issue?  Heating?  Cooling? Temperature gradient in the room?  Room air loss (I'm at a loss, clearly)??

I'm trying to imagine why it would matter.  From what perspective is this an issue?  Heating?  Cooling? Temperature gradient in the room?  Room air loss (I'm at a loss, clearly)??
You answered my question if you don't think it matters (the issue I am assuming is heating since it is in Colorado).  

I don't think it does, but I don't know what the concern might be either.
Project is a extended stay hotel in Colorado (studio type rooms).

Potential issue is the "elimination of the convection loop" at the window if the conditioned air supply is moved away from the window and into the interior of the room due to VE exercise to move the supply air away from windows and terminate in soffit at kitchen to save on duct work.  Argument is that once a heavy curtain is pulled shut at window, the convection loop is essentially eliminated anyway.  

Any thoughts?

How big are the rooms?  I would think any effect would be pretty negligible.  10 ft can't make that big a difference, particularly if the air flow is correct for the room size and heating/cooling effects.

Last edited by a moderator:
How big are the rooms?  I would think any effect would be pretty negligible.  10 ft can't make that big a difference, particularly if the air flow is correct for the room size and heating/cooling effects.
Rooms are typically 23' x 16.5'.  Duct length savings is 10' +/- with easier ceiling installation without the ductwork.

Back