Laurel or Yanny?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard Laurel on my computer, but Yanny on my husband's computer.

My brother heard both at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard it as Laurel on my iPad this morning, and just heard it as Yanny on my work computer just now.  it's an interesting audio anomaly, but a colossally stupid thing to argue about.

Yanni but when they play it and show the waveform, I hear "yalie"

I heard Laurel. 

This mostly brings up the fact that my mother insists there is a massive difference in the pronunciation of Erin and Aaron. 

grnkoia.gif

I first listened to it on my phone with headphones. "Yanny."

Unplugged my headphones. "Laurel"

Wild!

0000408135.jpg

TV was Yanny, Mrs. Supe's phone was clearly Laurel with no hint of anything else.  Clearly its all a ruse just to piss me off, and 99% of the playbacks are really just saying one of the two. 

I watched a pretty neat explanation of this phenomenon on YouTube yesterday.  Apparently, the original recording was saying Laurel, but high frequency artifacts were layered over the original recording such that some people hear Yanny.  There is even someone that has pitch-shifted a recording of himself saying Laurel, and the higher the shift, the more it sounds like Yanny.

I only ever hear laurel, but my hearing is quite bad. My wife hears both simultaneously regardless of source.

I think it's Lanny.  Everyone is wrong.  But then who gives a true **** one way or another?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back