The 2018 Garden Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supe

Reaction score
Time for the 2018 garden thread.  Post 'em up.

This year's pepper spread:

-Dragon Cayenne (potted, 2x)

-Cowhorn

-Garden Salsa

-Mammoth Jalapeno

-Jalapeno

-Habanero (2x)

-Carolina Reaper (potted, 2x)

For tomatoes, I've got two big designated pots: German Johnson and Beefmaster (heh)

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't have a garden, but we did just get two new plants yesterday. The cat already took a liking to one! It is now more strategically placed. Hopefully it works.

I've already had to yell at my dogs to stay out of the planter boxes.  They dug the **** out of them this winter.

Hopefully we've had our last freeze.  We have a few plants started in a small greenhouse and plan to get the garden going in earnest in a week or two.

last year we planted on mothers day weekend and it snowed the following weekend so this year going to wait till the weekend after that!

Time for the 2018 garden thread.  Post 'em up.

This year's pepper spread:

-Dragon Cayenne (potted, 2x)

-Cowhorn

-Garden Salsa

-Mammoth Jalapeno

-Jalapeno

-Habanero (2x)

-Carolina Reaper (potted, 2x)

For tomatoes, I've got two big designated pots: German Johnson and Beefmaster (heh)
I just germinated my Anaheim and Birdseye peppers! I hope these little guys make it.

We don't have a vegetable garden this year, way too many deer and not enough sun. And not enough space to put an enclosure in to keep deer out.
We have deer in our yard on a daily basis.  I put a 5' fence around our garden.  The deer could jump it if they really wanted, but so far they haven't.  I just used welded wire and t-posts, which don't really take up any space.  Unless you have a postage stamp yard.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have deer in our yard on a daily basis.  I put a 5' fence around our garden.  The deer could jump it if they really wanted, but so far they haven't.
I can send you a few Reaper seedlings.  Once they eat one of those peppers, they'll never come back.  They may just die on the spot, and would be pre-seasoned if you wanted to keep the meat.

Thankfully, my greyhounds do a pretty good job of rabbit population control in my yard.

We have deer in our yard on a daily basis.  I put a 5' fence around our garden.  The deer could jump it if they really wanted, but so far they haven't.  I just used welded wire and t-posts, which don't really take up any space.  Unless you have a postage stamp yard.
I have a portable deer hunting ladder stand. How's the projection beyond your garden for say the trajectory of aa 30-06 bullet? Asking for a friend. :)

We have no back yard, it is all wooded.  And such structures are not allowed in the part of our yard that actually gets sunlight.  I'm ok with not growing things, we have a great farmers market where I can get all sorts of tasty things.

I have a portable deer hunting ladder stand. How's the projection beyond your garden for say the trajectory of aa 30-06 bullet? Asking for a friend. :)
Bow hunting only in our neck of the woods.

Our backyard slopes down, so it's a pretty good trajectory.  Unfortunately in my part of the state 30-06 aren't allowed for deer hunting.  Shotgun, handgun, muzzle loader or larger caliber (.35+) with straight walled rounds.

@mrs blybrook is responsible for the garden.  It's been too cold to really get started until this past weekend.  I know she's getting ready to get started.  There are tomatoes and strawberries in the house waiting to go outside.

We don't have a vegetable garden this year, way too many deer and not enough sun. And not enough space to put an enclosure in to keep deer out.
Use an electric fence.  I put in a 6' tall, multi strand fence a few years ago.  Works great for the moose (until they break through it while getting chased by dogs).  It's fun to watch the newborns try to lick it, once...

@mrs blybrook is responsible for the garden.  It's been too cold to really get started until this past weekend.  I know she's getting ready to get started.  There are tomatoes and strawberries in the house waiting to go outside.
Yep, it's been hard to call this weather "spring" here, but I have started weeding and digging in the beds and prepping the soil. This year there will be lots of onions, carrots, beets, lettuce, squash, zucchini (I need this for zucchini bread!), tomatoes (if it warms up enough), strawberries, cucumbers, snap peas, green beans, and I am going to try growing butternut and winter squash this year. Alaska is such a picky b*tch when it comes to weather so sometimes we have a great harvest, and other years only the cold weather veggies are successful. We will also have the usual containers full of flowers surrounding our deck and I might plant a bed with some wildflowers for the bees. I like to roll around in my awesome hammock on the deck, surrounded by flowers, and read a good book...summer....where are you? Heck, where is spring??? :p

Back