Get approved for P.E. exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rawan

Reaction score
Hi All,

does anyone know how long it takes to hear back from NYSED if your experience got approved for the P.E. exam ? 

Thanks 

Hi All,

does anyone know how long it takes to hear back from NYSED if your experience got approved for the P.E. exam ? 

Thanks 
When did you submit the application? I did with TBPE, there is some process in their website that can show where is your application.

But, mine was taken almost 2 months to get approved.

When did you submit the application? I did with TBPE, there is some process in their website that can show where is your application.

But, mine was taken almost 2 months to get approved.
@PB&Jelly not really u need to submit another application for the PE and a lot of verification applications for your experience 

@Mr. Zane I submitted all my applications on May 1st through NYSED. 

I hope it will take less than that 🙏
I hope so but you know when I submitted the application online and then physically deliver the material to the board, the lady checked the calender and said I will be informed by 4 weeks.

In fact, its longer than that.

Hi All,

Thanks 
I assume you've submitted the application from scratch, hoping you can get approved for the October test.  If so, it's really somewhat of a 'crap shoot' with the NYSED.  Right now they are very bogged down with getting the licenses issued for those (like myself) who passed the PE on April 13th.   They appear to be weeks behind what they've done in the past, so maybe some folks there have retired.  I work for NYS as well (but another agency) and the 'Tier 4' retirees are in full swing this year (those who started working for the State in the mid to late 80's), since they lose some Medial plan options if they leave after July 1st of this year.  Hiring new staff is also an issue for the State due to the improve economy and the new 'Tier 6' retirement package is a far cry from what the State has offered in the past, so the only benefit a person gets now is some job security for a reduced pay scale.

In my case (waiting for my license), I tried reaching out to them (hoping for some State co-worker consideration), but they only take messages and their Email bounces back saying they have an unusually high volume taking place (you're guess is as good as mine on what that means - probably all of us waiting for our PE licenses annoying them).

I do have a suggestion for you on the application front however - keep at them.  Last year they actually misplaced most of my application for about six months, including my Money Order payment.  I did not find this out until I tried reaching out to them through Email to find out the status of my application.  Fortunately I was still studying for the FE and did not need to schedule my PE exam at that time.  When I finally got back an Email from that office (three weeks after I sent repeated Emails), and heard what had happened, I asked for one of the Supervisors to call me - of course mentioning I worked for another State agency.  I did not get a phone call, but within two hours I got an Email back indicating that they found everything, and included an itemized list of what they had in my file.  The Email also asked to let them know if there were any other forms I had submitted to experience references or with educational institutions, to which I replied 'No, none' - they did not respond back any further through Email, however I received a written PE exam authorization letter from them less than two weeks later indicating that I could sit for the PE whenever I chose to register for the test.

Well, I hope this somehow helped, but I really do feel your frustration.  I am now concerned that unless I get my license number by the end of July, I may lose out of some cash as well since my employer pays an annual bonus to staff who have their PE, as long as I can prove I am fully 'Registered' by the cut-off date.

Good luck.

I assume you've submitted the application from scratch, hoping you can get approved for the October test.  If so, it's really somewhat of a 'crap shoot' with the NYSED.  Right now they are very bogged down with getting the licenses issued for those (like myself) who passed the PE on April 13th.   They appear to be weeks behind what they've done in the past, so maybe some folks there have retired.  I work for NYS as well (but another agency) and the 'Tier 4' retirees are in full swing this year (those who started working for the State in the mid to late 80's), since they lose some Medial plan options if they leave after July 1st of this year.  Hiring new staff is also an issue for the State due to the improve economy and the new 'Tier 6' retirement package is a far cry from what the State has offered in the past, so the only benefit a person gets now is some job security for a reduced pay scale.

In my case (waiting for my license), I tried reaching out to them (hoping for some State co-worker consideration), but they only take messages and their Email bounces back saying they have an unusually high volume taking place (you're guess is as good as mine on what that means - probably all of us waiting for our PE licenses annoying them).

I do have a suggestion for you on the application front however - keep at them.  Last year they actually misplaced most of my application for about six months, including my Money Order payment.  I did not find this out until I tried reaching out to them through Email to find out the status of my application.  Fortunately I was still studying for the FE and did not need to schedule my PE exam at that time.  When I finally got back an Email from that office (three weeks after I sent repeated Emails), and heard what had happened, I asked for one of the Supervisors to call me - of course mentioning I worked for another State agency.  I did not get a phone call, but within two hours I got an Email back indicating that they found everything, and included an itemized list of what they had in my file.  The Email also asked to let them know if there were any other forms I had submitted to experience references or with educational institutions, to which I replied 'No, none' - they did not respond back any further through Email, however I received a written PE exam authorization letter from them less than two weeks later indicating that I could sit for the PE whenever I chose to register for the test.

Well, I hope this somehow helped, but I really do feel your frustration.  I am now concerned that unless I get my license number by the end of July, I may lose out of some cash as well since my employer pays an annual bonus to staff who have their PE, as long as I can prove I am fully 'Registered' by the cut-off date.

Good luck.
Which email address do you write to?

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the online form you fill out and got a generic response from [email protected] saying the board is reviewing.  Are they the same division?
I had tried that one at first, but as with you, I only got a the canned response.  I did some Google research and came up with the 'engineer' Email, which worked out much better in getting action - though somewhat delayed.  All the responses I got back from that Email seemed to come from the same woman who included her name in the responses -  I forget now if it was Angie, Ariel or April, but definitely a name similar to that.

I used the online form you fill out and got a generic response from [email protected] saying the board is reviewing.  Are they the same division?
I received the following Email as a response to my Email to the addy that I specified earlier in this thread:

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

Thank you for contacting the New York State Board for Engineering, Land Surveying & Geology.

Your application is now with our processing unit and your inquiry has been forwarded to our processing unit for a response.  You should be hearing from them shortly.  They may be

reached at 518-474-3817 ext. 250 or  [email protected]

We hope this information is helpful. 

Sincerely,

New York State Board for Engineering, Land Surveying and Geology

New York State Education Department, Office of Professions

89 Washington Avenue

Albany, NY 12234

518-474-3817 ext 140

http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/pels/

http://www.op.nysed.gov/prof/geo/

www.op.nysed.gov

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

So I guess they are two different departments after all   :eek:hmy:

@PB&Jelly I actually did not hear back yet ! 

I submitted my application on May 1st
I am confused as to why the approval to sit for the exam is taking so long.  Is it taking you just as long?  Did you ever get an approval?  Do you know if getting approved late will affect the availability of getting a seat in October?  I am worried there will be no seats left at my location. 

I am confused as to why the approval to sit for the exam is taking so long.  Is it taking you just as long?  Did you ever get an approval?  Do you know if getting approved late will affect the availability of getting a seat in October?  I am worried there will be no seats left at my location. 
I actually heard from them just last week, they said they started the preliminary reviewing but they asked for a letter describing my work relationship with my indirect supervisor. 

I am expecting to hear the answer within 1 month. 

I am little bit worried if I don’t get accepted because I already started studying . 

Regarding your worries , i believe we have till August 30 to reserve a seat for October test. 

Its still July 7th, when did you submit your application? 

Rawan

I actually heard from them just last week, they said they started the preliminary reviewing but they asked for a letter describing my work relationship with my indirect supervisor. 

I am expecting to hear the answer within 1 month. 

I am little bit worried if I don’t get accepted because I already started studying . 

Regarding your worries , i believe we have till August 30 to reserve a seat for October test. 

Its still July 7th, when did you submit your application? 

Rawan
I had all my paperwork mailed out in mid to late April.  I had a direct supervisor sign my form but never got any notices from NYS.  Did they email you? or mail you a letter?  Hopefully they approve us soon.

Back