Severance pay

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean Agnostic

Reaction score
What are your experiences or thoughts on severance pay? How much did you ask for in $?For instance, the duration of the job is 6 months to one year and then the company will get rid of me thereafter.

Only time I've seen severance pay on the table is if you're being laid off unexpectedly, and the package is based on position, tenure, salary, length of notice, etc.

If you're signing on the dotted line for a 6-12m position, and you know that up front, it's unlikely you'll get anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I get Dex thanks. It’s something I would propose because I would put my reputation on the line and there’s high risk involve so I might as well get compensated just in case I get killed  later on lol (knock on wood).

I'll second Dex's comments.  I've only seen severance given out once with my organization in 10 years, and that when several hundred employees were let go instantly when the utility abandoned a project without warning.  I have never seen it given for a contractor in any circumstance.

i got severance pay when I was laid off a job. Its not negotiable. Its a nice help from the company. Seems silly to negotiate. Just say thankyou. 

by definition severance pay is "an amount paid to an employee upon dismissal or discharge from employment."  If you're negotiating a 6-12 month project then that is a contract postion which terminates at the end of the job.  You're not being "dismissed" or discharged" from employment.  As a contract position the terms should be negotiated up front.  Basically you want more compensation or a bonus upon completion but it's not "severance pay".  Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have these competing thoughts. It’s like finding that right girl (is this going somewhere long term romantic relationship, or a one night stand?) 

Back