Choosing the PE Civil Depth

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rawan

Reaction score
Good morning all,

i am not sure if you remember me I was talking just one month ago on FE exam and now I’m with you after passing the FE exam civil  ( thank God ) 

now I just applied for the PE exam ( waiting to be accepted to go for the exam in October).

i have been  working in fire protection engineering for more than 2 years  ( till present ) and before that I was working in seismic design for MEP systems ( I applied my structural design knowledge to design seismic bracing supports )  in a large company in CA for more than 2 years . And before that I was also working in structural design scope. 

So basically I have been working for only 6 years and as you see my experience is a combination of fire protection and structural design. My question is : based on your experience ( all of you )  , is construction depth a good one to go for in PE exam or I should stick to Structural or fire protection depth ? Since most of my experience comes from structural design engineering. 

Please share with me your thoughts as I am really lost , I feel I want to move my work scope to planning / scheduling / estimating / management/.....etc  fields. and I believe going for the PE construction depth will open the door for me for that, but in the same time I’m not sure if this is the right thing to do since most of my experience comes from structural and fire protection design .

thanks all

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning all,

i am not sure if you remember me I was talking just one month ago on FE exam and now I’m with you after passing the FE exam civil  ( thank God ) 

now I just applied for the PE exam ( waiting to be accepted to go for the exam in October).

i have been  working in fire protection engineering for more than 2 years  ( till present ) and before that I was working in seismic design for MEP systems ( I applied my structural design knowledge to design seismic bracing supports )  in a large company in CA for more than 2 years . And before that I was also working in structural design scope. 

So basically I have been working for only 6 years and as you see my experience is a combination of fire protection and structural design. My question is : based on your experience ( all of you )  , is construction depth a good one to go for in PE exam or I should stick to Structural or fire protection depth ? Since most of my experience comes from structural design engineering. 

Please share with me your thoughts as I am really lost , I feel I want to move my work scope to the management level and I believe going for the PE construction depth will open the door for me for that, but in the same time I’m not sure if this is the right thing to do since most of my experience comes from structural and fire protection design .

thanks all
The construction depth is the construction engineering and construction activity management (other PEs please correct me if I am wrong), it is not the "soft" managerial level thing like PMP, CCM or other best management practices.

I never worked in design part since I graduated, maybe other folks here can tell more on whether you can benefit from your previous work if you go with structural depth.

@Mr. Zane thanks for your feedback , I believe I mislead you in my question( I just edited now ) 

i did not mean management field as you understood I meant moving to planning field / estimating/ costing .....etc 

thanks 

FWIW, the Fire Protection Engineering exam is only offered in October. It doesn't have many takers either so study materials may be limited. The civil exams are offered in both April and October and have a ton of study materials.

Back