PMP Prep Course recommendation??

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AyanHein

Reaction score
Hi All,

What is the best PMP prep class for new 6th edition PMBOK? I prefer online class for my flexibility but if there's such a GREAT in person/bootcamp class out there, i'd consider that too. According to my limited research, i came up with a few online classes. Please share any of your PMP experience.

1. GreyCampus https://www.greycampus.com/pmp-training-instructor-led#course_overview

2. PM Training http://www.pmtraining.com/Public/PMPBootcamp.aspx?usource=lc

3. Velociteach https://www.velociteach.com/online-courses/pass-pmp-6th-edition-exam/

4. PM PrepCast https://www.project-management-prepcast.com/pmp-exam/the-pm-prepcast

5. Udemy by Joseph Phillips https://www.udemy.com/pmp-pmbok6-35-pdus/

I"m new to PMP world, so my knowledge is very limited. I'm looking for a class that will fulfill 35 PDUs and helpful for real PMP exam. 

Thanks in advance.  

I would look for the most economical online course and read the reviews.  I have seen the Prep courses run from about $9 to $3,000 or $4,000.   A quick check above shows a range of OnDemand courses being about $300 to $500, with the exception of Udemy at $11.99.  While it seems to good to be true, I have read good things about the Udemy by Joseph Phillips course, but know of none who has taken it personally.

Also, make sure your project experience is well document and can be substantiated by supervisors. I was actually audited TWICE and was ultimately able to support my case. Just in case you don't happen to have the requisite experience, the CAPM is a good choice to get your feet wet in PMI-land.

I would look for the most economical online course and read the reviews.  I have seen the Prep courses run from about $9 to $3,000 or $4,000.   A quick check above shows a range of OnDemand courses being about $300 to $500, with the exception of Udemy at $11.99.  While it seems to good to be true, I have read good things about the Udemy by Joseph Phillips course, but know of none who has taken it personally.
Those are the list of vendors that I am considering to take. Udemy is one of them because of its price. I thought Joseph's teaching style isn't bad (according to demo videos). So far i'm considering PM Training, PM PrepCast or Joseph. 

Also, make sure your project experience is well document and can be substantiated by supervisors. I was actually audited TWICE and was ultimately able to support my case. Just in case you don't happen to have the requisite experience, the CAPM is a good choice to get your feet wet in PMI-land.
How did you get audited TWICE if you don't mind asking? How was the audit process? Are supervisors' signature enough to justify audit process? 

I don't want to spend time and money for CAPM if i'm not qualified. I'd rather wait until i get enough years for PMP exam. 

How did you get audited TWICE if you don't mind asking? How was the audit process? Are supervisors' signature enough to justify audit process? 

I don't want to spend time and money for CAPM if i'm not qualified. I'd rather wait until i get enough years for PMP exam. 
I looked back into it, here's how it went down: The audit selection process is random, so the system alerted me immediately after I clicked "submit." Upon review, my application was declined because I didn't give enough detail demonstrating how I "led cross-functional teams" on projects. So, I updated the language, got my documents signed again from my bosses (current and former), and reapplied. If your application was ever rejected, it's an automatic audit hence getting audited twice. Anyway, my application was approved, I sat for my exam the next week and crushed it. Not too bad, just a slight bump in the road.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help. I passed the PE exam last October on my first try and I am starting to look into taking the PMP exam. How difficult is the PMP exam? Also, Has anyone had a difficult time writing the experience section on the PE application? All of my experience is in the field engineering and project controls. My company does not do "Engineering" drawings or calculations per say. We take the engineered drawings and build the actually facility (Mainly chemical plants).

Thanks for the help. I passed the PE exam last October on my first try and I am starting to look into taking the PMP exam. How difficult is the PMP exam? Also, Has anyone had a difficult time writing the experience section on the PE application? All of my experience is in the field engineering and project controls. My company does not do "Engineering" drawings or calculations per say. We take the engineered drawings and build the actually facility (Mainly chemical plants).
The PMP exam is not that difficult if you put some time into it.  There are some memorization type questions on the test type (The quality Guru's, financial formula's, Channels of communication) but most of it scenario based with the most logical choice coming down to 2 possible answers.

I had no difficulty with the application/experience and there is plenty of online resources that help you fill out the application.  I was randomly audited and had to send in my college transcripts and have my supervisor verify my experience.  The big thing to remember on the application is that "A Project is a temporary endeavor taken on to produce a unique product or result"  I have hear someone used their wedding planning and senior class project as their experience.  I see your discipline is Construction so you should have no difficulty in picking out some of your projects for experience.  Field engineering and Project Controls falls right in line with some of the concepts of the exam (An upgrade to chemical plant or an upgrade to a process at the plant should count as PM experience).

Remember to take off your Experience Hat and put on your PMI Hat to answer questions.  You need take a more academic and not your practical experience approach.

I took the Exam before PMI added the Agile techniques so perhaps someone who has recently taken the exam can add how much agile material is on the new exams. 

Again, it is not difficult but you do have to study for it.  

The PMP exam is not that difficult if you put some time into it.  There are some memorization type questions on the test type (The quality Guru's, financial formula's, Channels of communication) but most of it scenario based with the most logical choice coming down to 2 possible answers.

I had no difficulty with the application/experience and there is plenty of online resources that help you fill out the application.  I was randomly audited and had to send in my college transcripts and have my supervisor verify my experience.  The big thing to remember on the application is that "A Project is a temporary endeavor taken on to produce a unique product or result"  I have hear someone used their wedding planning and senior class project as their experience.  I see your discipline is Construction so you should have no difficulty in picking out some of your projects for experience.  Field engineering and Project Controls falls right in line with some of the concepts of the exam (An upgrade to chemical plant or an upgrade to a process at the plant should count as PM experience).

Remember to take off your Experience Hat and put on your PMI Hat to answer questions.  You need take a more academic and not your practical experience approach.

I took the Exam before PMI added the Agile techniques so perhaps someone who has recently taken the exam can add how much agile material is on the new exams. 

Again, it is not difficult but you do have to study for it.  
Thank you for the clarification. What is a good review course for the PMP? I used EET for the PE exam. It was a fantastic review course.

Thank you for the clarification. What is a good review course for the PMP? I used EET for the PE exam. It was a fantastic review course.
I used EDUMIND's "School of PM" since I used School of PE and passed the PE Exam.  It was okay (I passed with "MP,'s" now "T"'s, across all disciplines) but there are other options out there.

How you prepare depends on your learning style:

Online - The above options are probably pretty good if you want to take on online prep course.  Costs ranges from $12 to $500.

Self Study - Rita's Book is good if you are self studying.  A lot of people have passed by knowing this book inside and out and tasking a lot of practice exams.

Live - There are numerous Bootcamps (3 or 4 day all day classes) out there that guarantee you passing. Cost is about $1,200 to $5,000.

Again, it all depends on your learning style and budget.

Read the other Topics on this subforum to get more information.   Youtube and Reddit are other locations you can get more information.      

Back