Engineer Boards
​ ​
GR8 PLUMENG

The wait is killing me

11 minutes ago, ME_VT said:

I heard @squaretaper already got his results...

4 minutes ago, squaretaper said:

@ME_VT ....for the PMP!

PMP comes even before you leave the exam room. :multiplespotting:thats what i like...

1 hour ago, Mr. Zane said:

Worse for me even, I had several times that I was thinking about the exam while pushing the dumb bells, its bad for me because I lost my count. It seems my mind is linear and does not allow multiple tasks processing....

go on the elliptical or bike while watching something funny. it helps. I've gotten through almost an entire season of the office since april 13... 

• Like 1

Hi guys, going to the gym is the best way to kill this waiting anxiety! it helped me a lot last year

I work full time and have a 2 year old. The only thing thats getting worked out is my liver

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ME_VT said:

I work full time and have a 2 year old. The only thing thats getting worked out is my liver

really admire a guy like you with all worka amd family committment and you work hard on exam prep. Hard worker...

i am taking advantage of having no such committment. 

Edited by Mr. Zane

11 hours ago, RBHeadge PE said:

No way that's happening the week of May 7th. Much too early even before one considers the new issues this session.

What do you mean? What new issues for this cycle?

4 hours ago, kimberly9 said:

Well, for one they changed the exam this time. More protection content for example. This means some of those questions were test run on us. They need to review those and look at rBis etc  to see what to adjust. The new changes to the specs will be board evaluated by sampling our answers.  Since we have a long wait, read through this and you’ll understand better what/why we are waiting on.

Good read straight from NCEES:

2012_AM_Understanding_Exam_Dev.pdf

Heres an excerpt:

The passing score is determined in one of two ways.
•  For the first administration of a new exam or specification change (the anchor exam), a cut-score panel recommends the score. (Ie this new April 2018 specification change)
•  For subsequent administrations, a statistical procedure known as “equating” is used to set the score relative to the anchor exam

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kimberly9 said:

4 hours ago, Surf and Snow said:

Well, for one they changed the exam this time. More protection content for example. This means some of those questions were test run on us. They need to review those and look at rBis etc  to see what to adjust. The new changes to the specs will be board evaluated by sampling our answers.  Since we have a long wait, read through this and you’ll understand better what/why we are waiting on.

It happens every time. Gotta work out those new test kinks.

We can almost always retroactively attribute a results release delay due to an exam committee meeting post-test to discuss any anomalies and establish the cut score. The larger tests (CE, EE, ME, etc) proactively schedule these meetings so it typically doesn't impact the release date much. The larger tests also get screened by a lot more people before release too which cuts back on anomalies. But the smaller tests (nuclear, petro, ag, FP, etc) often scheduled ad-hoc and it delays things a few weeks. The larger tests committees are run by NCEES, whereas the smaller test committees tend to be run by professional societies. Obviously the NCEES committees are more sensitive to the schedule needs and can actually pay people to attend meetings. Professional societies, tend to be volunteers who need to take off time from work and schedule last minute flights cross country on their own dime. The implications here are obvious.

We usually see delays due to new tests for October exams but it can happen for April too.

So now that you have the background you want to know how it may actually effect you? This cycle all of the Electrical exams, Environmental, and Architectural exams have updated their questions and format. Per the civil webpage:  Const, Struct, and Geo have also updated their test too but this isn't reflected fully in exam content PDFs so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . EE and Envr meet May 18-19 at NCESS for an exam standard setting study meeting. Architectural also meets May 18-19 at a different location for their standard setting study meeting (source: https://ncees.org/wp-content/uploads/2_Licensure-Exchange_April-2018.pdf on page 11). I don't see anything about CE meetings. If those meetings are held specifically to discuss the new exam then you shouldn't expect results until a few business days after those meetings. The name implies its a cut score meeting. But it's possible that those meetings might not be related to the new exam and there may not be a delay as a result. If CE has to hold a meeting all bets are off.

Meetings may also be needed to address new problems that arise with established exam questions. Or NCEES may need to investigate something that happened at a test site and need more time to complete their work. It's rare that that alone would cause a delay but the possibility can't be discounted.

And don't get me started on the rumor about how the new pencil erasers are screwing with things. That has the October 2014 pencil lead fiasco written all over it.

tl;dr nominal release around May 23-25

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ME_VT said:

I heard @squaretaper already got his results...

And we are off with the trolling. Even though i knew this is was definitely untrue, my heart still jumped a bit. 

1 hour ago, RBHeadge PE said:

It happens every time. Gotta work out those new test kinks.

We can almost always retroactively attribute a results release delay due to an exam committee meeting post-test to discuss any anomalies and establish the cut score. The larger tests (CE, EE, ME, etc) proactively schedule these meetings so it typically doesn't impact the release date much. The larger tests also get screened by a lot more people before release too which cuts back on anomalies. But the smaller tests (nuclear, petro, ag, FP, etc) often scheduled ad-hoc and it delays things a few weeks. The larger tests committees are run by NCEES, whereas the smaller test committees tend to be run by professional societies. Obviously the NCEES committees are more sensitive to the schedule needs and can actually pay people to attend meetings. Professional societies, tend to be volunteers who need to take off time from work and schedule last minute flights cross country on their own dime. The implications here are obvious.

We usually see delays due to new tests for October exams but it can happen for April too.

So now that you have the background you want to know how it may actually effect you? This cycle all of the Electrical exams, Environmental, and Architectural exams have updated their questions and format. Per the civil webpage:  Const, Struct, and Geo have also updated their test too but this isn't reflected fully in exam content PDFs so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . EE and Envr meet May 18-19 at NCESS for an exam standard setting study meeting. Architectural also meets May 18-19 at a different location for their standard setting study meeting (source: https://ncees.org/wp-content/uploads/2_Licensure-Exchange_April-2018.pdf on page 11). I don't see anything about CE meetings. If those meetings are held specifically to discuss the new exam then you shouldn't expect results until a few business days after those meetings. The name implies its a cut score meeting. But it's possible that those meetings might not be related to the new exam and there may not be a delay as a result. If CE has to hold a meeting all bets are off.

Meetings may also be needed to address new problems that arise with established exam questions. Or NCEES may need to investigate something that happened at a test site and need more time to complete their work. It's rare that that alone would cause a delay but the possibility can't be discounted.

And don't get me started on the rumor about how the new pencil erasers are screwing with things. That has the October 2014 pencil lead fiasco written all over it.

tl;dr nominal release around May 23-25

Thanks for the update. And the erasers did suck, bigly.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, GR8 PLUMENG said:

And we are off with the trolling. Even though i knew this is was definitely untrue, my heart still jumped a bit. 

haha I'm in the same boat. Everytime I log in to NCEES and see a green box (from my FE result) my heart jumps...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, GR8 PLUMENG said:

Thanks for the update. And the erasers did suck, bigly.

This happened to me as well, I needed to ask the invigilator if this messy will mess up the machine or not...:facepalm:

20 hours ago, Mr. Zane said:

and unfortunately, I dont drink.... :true::true:

Never too late to take on new projects! :D

18 hours ago, vee043324 said:

go on the elliptical or bike while watching something funny. it helps. I've gotten through almost an entire season of the office since april 13... 

All while heart rate is non-existent with only 50% or less effort. :thumbs:

12 hours ago, kimberly9 said:

Read above. I also posted regarding this.

19 hours ago, ME_VT said:

so much respect for people who take this exam with a family. I'm single and in grad school right now and even though it totally sucks, I would much rather balance homework w/exam prep than another human being / a family w/exam prep.. 

57 minutes ago, vee043324 said:

so much respect for people who take this exam with a family. I'm single and in grad school right now and even though it totally sucks, I would much rather balance homework w/exam prep than another human being / a family w/exam prep.. 

I am in grad school as well, needed squeezing from daily work for exam prep.

Not everyone is happy with me for doing this because I cant meet other requirements like the research or other work in the meantime. 

But suffer a little from now is better than have it later years.

3 hours ago, ME_VT said:

haha I'm in the same boat. Everytime I log in to NCEES and see a green box (from my FE result) my heart jumps...

Not sure how it goes in other states, but in CA we'll get an email from our board right as results are released so there's really no point in refreshing the NCEES page (although I wish it made a difference). Like most people I get my email through my phone so it pings me when I get that message.

I cant control myself...

image.png

Edited by ME_VT

21 hours ago, Lucas H said:

Hi guys, going to the gym is the best way to kill this waiting anxiety! it helped me a lot last year

This is what I've been doing. Getting back into lifting after having a spotty training schedule the last couple months.

4 minutes ago, cfm03 said:

Precisely 425d4bfa63dd0501bf7c97657478a325.jpg

RESLUTS?

You're definitely going the H&B route to de-stressing.

RESLUTS?
You're definitely going the H&B route to de-stressing.
I know I have noticed that after the fact...oh, well!!!

1 hour ago, squaretaper said:

Not sure how it goes in other states, but in CA we'll get an email from our board right as results are released so there's really no point in refreshing the NCEES page (although I wish it made a difference). Like most people I get my email through my phone so it pings me when I get that message.

I'm in CA as well and I don't remember getting an email from the state board notifying me of the results, just the one from NCEES...at any rate, I won't be logging into my account until I get that email...3 more weeks at least !... ugh....

3 hours ago, SacMe24 said:

I'm in CA as well and I don't remember getting an email from the state board notifying me of the results, just the one from NCEES...at any rate, I won't be logging into my account until I get that email...3 more weeks at least !... ugh....

Some people have noted and posted that the alert email can arrive anywhere from seconds to 30 min after the results are posted online.

Get those F5 keys ready!

1 hour ago, RBHeadge PE said:

Some people have noted and posted that the alert email can arrive anywhere from seconds to 30 min after the results are posted online.

Get those F5 keys ready!

I'm telling you.... today has been especially bad for me. My anxiety has been through the roof!....those exam results can't come fast enough....

Results are overrated.

• Like 1