• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to EngineerBoards and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

If you fail the PE power, buy these books

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owism

PE
Reaction score
I have these books for sale, practicing with these books has definitely helped me to pass the PE. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you are probably 30 days too early to take advantage of our roll coaster of emotions developed from failing.

At least let us fail the first time before you start selling us your snake oil about about how we can not fail the next time with these special books!   :)  

Who are these people that take the test and don't know about graffeo and CI books?!?

So I already have these books so if I don't pass does that mean you're full of it?   :D
No it just means you didn't spend enough time studying.  Having these books does not guarantee your passing. Using these books as practice exams and reference guides will help your brain be in a mentally fit state to quickly tackle the most common type of problems. I spent 3 hours each day for 5 days a week for 5 months straight.  So... time spent on studying is your main factor of success, turn off your phone and study. I actually bought a dumb phone during my study months to remove any chance of me getting distracted. How badly do you want to pass? These books are just the tools to get there, and since they are allowed in the exam, they are your GO TO. Along with custom "cheat" sheets (yes more than 1, I had probably 8 categorized by the different categories of problems: rotational machines, transformers, etc.) of commonly used equations for yourself only you can make so you know where to find what based on your weaknesses.  Another main method of success is to find out why you don't understand whatever concept, google it, find a decent explanation which you can use to replicate your success of answering the problem and print out that document and put it in a 3 ring binder, tab it, and that becomes your go to guide for challenging concepts for you. I repeated the CI exams twice before taking the exam, It really strengthens your mind to prep for the exam. I really wanted to do 3 times but I didn't have the time... :)  . And yes I took School Of PE courses. The second time I took the course, they had great professionals teaching them. I really enjoyed it. 

All in all, these are great tools to pass the exam, I passed, I have no use of them. so I'll refresh this post once scores come out. Or just keep me in mind.

Goodluck, all the best. 

I think you are probably 30 days too early to take advantage of our roll coaster of emotions developed from failing.

At least let us fail the first time before you start selling us your snake oil about about how we can not fail the next time with these special books!   :)  
I never said you can't fail next time, I said " practicing with these books has definitely helped me to pass the PE"

Who are these people that take the test and don't know about graffeo and CI books?!?
People who are first time visitors to this forum. I also didn't know about CI books, I did know about Graffeo but I underused it the first time I took the test and Failed it. The best advantage to Graffeo is that the index is nicely organized to find how to solve problems based on key words you might not have seen before.

No it just means you didn't spend enough time studying.  Having these books does not guarantee your passing. Using these books as practice exams and reference guides will help your brain be in a mentally fit state to quickly tackle the most common type of problems. I spent 3 hours each day for 5 days a week for 5 months straight.  So... time spent on studying is your main factor of success, turn off your phone and study. I actually bought a dumb phone during my study months to remove any chance of me getting distracted. How badly do you want to pass? These books are just the tools to get there, and since they are allowed in the exam, they are your GO TO. Along with custom "cheat" sheets (yes more than 1, I had probably 8 categorized by the different categories of problems: rotational machines, transformers, etc.) of commonly used equations for yourself only you can make so you know where to find what based on your weaknesses.  Another main method of success is to find out why you don't understand whatever concept, google it, find a decent explanation which you can use to replicate your success of answering the problem and print out that document and put it in a 3 ring binder, tab it, and that becomes your go to guide for challenging concepts for you. I repeated the CI exams twice before taking the exam, It really strengthens your mind to prep for the exam. I really wanted to do 3 times but I didn't have the time... :)  . And yes I took School Of PE courses. The second time I took the course, they had great professionals teaching them. I really enjoyed it. 

All in all, these are great tools to pass the exam, I passed, I have no use of them. so I'll refresh this post once scores come out. Or just keep me in mind.

Goodluck, all the best. 
My comment was definitely meant to be tongue-in-cheek.

People who are first time visitors to this forum. I also didn't know about CI books, I did know about Graffeo but I underused it the first time I took the test and Failed it. The best advantage to Graffeo is that the index is nicely organized to find how to solve problems based on key words you might not have seen before.
Did you find that Graffeo was the most helpful book to reference in order for you to pass on your 2nd attempt?

Did you find that Graffeo was the most helpful book to reference in order for you to pass on your 2nd attempt?
I wouldn't say that. There is no magic bullet. CI was probably the best investment to get me to do enough real practice problems, in contrast to the Spin-up books which have simple questions and really skew the perception of how challenging the PE exam questions really are. Graffeo has a nice index to help you find things quick in case you don't have it on your cheat sheet, so yes I definitely used it in cases where it had topics laid out nicely to help you solve problems. If you practice enough with the CI books, you will fall upon the same types of questions where your brain will trigger you to go look at that reference you looked at while practicing. And if its an equation you often forget, write it on a separate piece of paper and call that your cheat sheet. You will rack up pages upon pages of a cheat sheet but the key is to save time, get the common questions out of the way quick so you can focus your time and brain and flipping through pages to solve the hard problems.

Sometimes the NCEES is very conceptual, this is where all the resources in the world might not help you if you haven't had any experience. Sometimes it is very equations based, so it really depends on your experience and background as well.

Goodluck. 

Oh and you should buy LOTS of TAbs, TAB all your School of PE notes, all the problems which you find difficult to wrap your head around, Tab and Label those tabs for quick finding. Flipping pages will only be good for air circulation. 

I wouldn't say that. There is no magic bullet. CI was probably the best investment to get me to do enough real practice problems, in contrast to the Spin-up books which have simple questions and really skew the perception of how challenging the PE exam questions really are. Graffeo has a nice index to help you find things quick in case you don't have it on your cheat sheet, so yes I definitely used it in cases where it had topics laid out nicely to help you solve problems. If you practice enough with the CI books, you will fall upon the same types of questions where your brain will trigger you to go look at that reference you looked at while practicing. And if its an equation you often forget, write it on a separate piece of paper and call that your cheat sheet. You will rack up pages upon pages of a cheat sheet but the key is to save time, get the common questions out of the way quick so you can focus your time and brain and flipping through pages to solve the hard problems.

Sometimes the NCEES is very conceptual, this is where all the resources in the world might not help you if you haven't had any experience. Sometimes it is very equations based, so it really depends on your experience and background as well.

Goodluck. 
I took the exam earlier this month and thought that the CI books drastically undersold the difficulty of the exam.  In fact, while the official practice exam and EngProGuide one were better, I don't think any practice exam I tried accurately represented an approximation to the real thing.

In fact, while the official practice exam and EngProGuide one were better, I don't think any practice exam I tried accurately represented an approximation to the real thing.
And that's precisely the goal! Meaning NCEES accomplished what they initially set out to do. Otherwise it would be exactly that, just another easy practice exam. :thumbs:

Lol... This thread (outside of the for sale area and in the power section) where we are all biting on our teeth in stress and anticipation for our results, is like a guy standing outside the front door of a community center Narcotics Anonymous meeting, with a trench coat full of drugs, calling out "Hey man, how ya feeling? You don't really think your gonna stay on that wagon right? Gimme a break, you and I both know you aint gonna make it. You're gonna fail. I got your stuff right here. You know your gonna need it..."

-Bet on yourself folks. Keep positive thoughts. ;)

Lol... This thread (outside of the for sale area and in the power section) where we are all biting on our teeth in stress and anticipation for our results, is like a guy standing outside the front door of a community center Narcotics Anonymous meeting, with a trench coat full of drugs, calling out "Hey man, how ya feeling? You don't really think your gonna stay on that wagon right? Gimme a break, you and I both know you aint gonna make it. You're gonna fail. I got your stuff right here. You know your gonna need it..."

-Bet on yourself folks. Keep positive thoughts. ;)
Hey atleast its a book relevant to power :)   Not chemical engineering

Back