Waiting for CBT?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BirdGrave

Reaction score
I've been thinking it over.  Obviously I would like to have passed the exam I took on April 13th of this year.  But in the event that I don't, I feel like the reason is almost definitely going to be that I didn't have the right resource in hand and/or the right page tabbed to quickly access the information I need.

That being the case, if I do need to take the exam again, I am wondering if I am better off waiting until I can do it in the CBT format in 2021?  With only one document as a resource in pdf format and with a word search function a lot of the problems outlined above I think will be eliminated.  I know that the questions will change to reflect the a new level of difficulty, but at the same time I feel like I can train myself to do questions that are of a different magnitude of difficulty.  I don't trust myself as much to be able to purchase the correct books or have the right pages tabbed for a 6 minute average the next time around.  I feel as though that aspect of the test was where I was personally the most weak.

I'm wondering if my train of thought is making any sense.  I'd appreciate your input, if you have any?

Can you wait 3 years without impacting your career development? 

The PE is a useful career development achievement but if it won' benefit you immensely or immediately then I see no reason why you couldn't wait...  Other then having the information in your head right now.   Wheres three years from now (assuming they even hit their schedule)  it's back to  ground level for studying. 

If you even feel like you came close to passing, I would assume the amount of effort you need to put in now will be substantilly less to gather better resources and tab then potentially have to learn all new material in different applications with a potentially harder exam and unknown exam 

Maybe if you failed like 3 or 4 times, but I think you're just anxious about your results and you are already pretty close to passing and will most likely pass this time or next. Waiting 3 more years when you've put in all this work should be a last resort in my opinion.

personally I can't imagine a CBT Power exam being any easier than the current format. The one reference material fits all format would be scary to me, especially on conceptual topics and topics that I have a hard time grasping. I'd say if this time doesn't go the way you'd like I'd say use the diagnostics that they give you, along with the experience you have from this test to go crush the test next time. I must say though, from the interactions we've had prior to the test and your posts after, I have a feeling that this topic will be irrelevant to you in a few weeks.

Hang in there the next few weeks and start making plans then. But in my opinion the CBT exam is not the answer.

I've been thinking it over.  Obviously I would like to have passed the exam I took on April 13th of this year.  But in the event that I don't, I feel like the reason is almost definitely going to be that I didn't have the right resource in hand and/or the right page tabbed to quickly access the information I need.

That being the case, if I do need to take the exam again, I am wondering if I am better off waiting until I can do it in the CBT format in 2021?  With only one document as a resource in pdf format and with a word search function a lot of the problems outlined above I think will be eliminated.  I know that the questions will change to reflect the a new level of difficulty, but at the same time I feel like I can train myself to do questions that are of a different magnitude of difficulty.  I don't trust myself as much to be able to purchase the correct books or have the right pages tabbed for a 6 minute average the next time around.  I feel as though that aspect of the test was where I was personally the most weak.

I'm wondering if my train of thought is making any sense.  I'd appreciate your input, if you have any?
Echoing blewis' advice.  Any decision you make now is premature.  Wait and see what your results are.  You may have passed and your question goes away.  if you didn't pass see what your weak areas are.  It may not be as much of a test format issue  as you thought but it may involve different resources or reorganizing your resources that day.  When the time comes, if it's necessary for you to ask there are plenty of us who will be happy to share our genius organizational skills.  :D   In the meantime, think positive thoughts and drink a responsible amount of overly expensive craft beers. 

Till you give up it is not a failure, it is only work in process and I have yet to see someone who did not give up and failed. I am sure you must be feeling yourself better prepared and doing better every time than what you did last time. Now when you extrapolate the graph there is point of time on x axis, when one breaks the barrier on y axis. May be you are reaching that level this time. Best wishes. Now coming to the worst situation..... Since you have already put in lot of efforts, continuing it, is a better option then taking a break and restarting it.

My experience has been that except code questions and some formula reference, the references are not much of use. I took 2 Codes (NESC, NEC), Wildi book and my own notes. I referred Wildi book only once. Rest three were more useful. For me getting answers by refering a book takes more time than 6 minutes. I prefer to do it without much of reference. I consider reference is only a help or hint, the question does not appear in the exam as it is from the references. Anyways, stay positive,  my best wishes are there with you and would like to see you passing this time.  

Back