Orlando, FL

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csb

Reaction score
Okay, hit me. A friend and I are headed to Orlando in August for a weekend away. We know we want to go to Universal Studios and ride an airboat. 

Any recommendations for either? Anything else we should try to see? 

Should I start hydrating now? 

I will report back after our trip that starts this weekend! :thumbs:

@Road Guy had some pretty good tips/suggestions as well. Though I do not envy you visiting that area in August.

If you are renting a car, drive to Cocoa beach. There will be some tolls but you'll have some great (better than classy Daytona) beaches and you'll get to visit Ron Jon's surf shop!!

If you can swing it (they're pricey) try to stay one night at one of Universal's three nicest resorts (Hard Rock, Portofino Bay, or Royal Pacific) because they provide you with early park entry and an unlimited express pass that allows you to bypass the regular line for all the rides. You can check into the hotel at 7 am to get the pass and it's good the entire day the day you check out, so you can get two days worth of it for one night. We've had season passes to Universal since October (was basically the same price as a 4 day pass) so if you have any specific Universal questions just ask.

We've had season passes to Universal since October (was basically the same price as a 4 day pass) so if you have any specific Universal questions just ask.
We're staying at Disney's Contemporary Resort. How do we see the most Star Wars & Harry Potter entertainment possible? :D

were not huge universal fans, its a really small park, but if you are a harry potter fan than I understand ;) - just plan to dead out sprint to the harry potter village when the gates open during the summer before its insanely crowded (& you may get 5 minutes of "normal) ;)

its been so long since we have been to Orlando, but its a cool town. we were never able to stay at the on premise resorts since they are $$$$$ and generally cater to the standard family of 4 or less so we always stayed off site (they used to have a sponge bob hotel in Orlando but changed it - kids thought it was amazing..

They think they have good beer there, but most of the good beer they have is brewed in Fort Collins :D

We were in that area for a couple nights in March.  Don't stay at the Country Inn & Suites Universal, it was a dump.

We mostly visited family and the Tank, so I don't have much other advice to give.

just make sure you get some good fried seafood and none of the swanky stuff that Krak will want to take you to ;)

There used to a place called The Brown Lantern? looks like a dump when you drive up, but those are generally the best places...

Excellent! Thank you for the recommendations so far! I'm not sure if we're renting a car or not. If we stay near Universal, I don't want to have to pay for parking, but it looks like we'd have to take a bus to an airboat tour. 

We're staying at Disney's Contemporary Resort. How do we see the most Star Wars & Harry Potter entertainment possible? :D
Get to Universal as early as possible for maximum Harry Potter enjoyment. To fully experience it you'll need park-to-park passes which is the only way you can ride the Hogwarts express. The Harry Potter worlds at Universal are extremely well done and I highly recommend them to HP fans.

575c2f3c567101cfafc0539ac207ceff.jpg

The time stamp on this photo was 8:13AM - so hustle from the main gate!!!!

Not that you asked, Busch Gardens Tampa Bay Area is also a place to visit since your in the Orlando Area. 

I think we might make the trip over to Cape Canaveral. It looks like it's only about an hour away. 
The Kennedy Space Center is pretty fantastic. But I haven't been there since high school.

Back