Structural Depth April 2018

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mnguy88

Reaction score
How did you feel about the structural depth exam?

I felt the morning depth was the easiest I’ve had (third time test taker). However, I lack in a lot for the depth. I had a lot of trouble even on the quick look up in the manual questions. I couldn’t find any of the manual questions! It was so frustrating. I’m disappointed in my performance. 

What did you guys think?

I feel the exact same way. Second-time taker here. I pretty well breezed through the morning, feel 100% confident in about 34/40 of them, but the afternoon absolutely destroyed me. 

Hi,

1st time taker here. Was hoping AM would be slightly more easier. Expecting between 30-33. Afternoon was a complete bummer. Found the paper very difficult & completely different than NCEES sample exam & other exams I took. I prepared mostly problems & there were a lot of conceptual theories where I was clueless(I suck in theory).

Did self study. Was wondering if I had taken review course, would that have helped me tackling those conceptual theoretical questions.

Hi,

1st time taker here. Was hoping AM would be slightly more easier. Expecting between 30-33. Afternoon was a complete bummer. Found the paper very difficult & completely different than NCEES sample exam & other exams I took. I prepared mostly problems & there were a lot of conceptual theories where I was clueless(I suck in theory).

Did self study. Was wondering if I had taken review course, would that have helped me tackling those conceptual theoretical questions.
I’ve taken this exam two other times and this was the first that I had difficulty answering any theory or code questions. I hope we get some more feedback from others. I took EET and maybe I was so bummed out by the questions that I didn’t look up how to do some problems in my eet manual, but I’ll say, it was pretty hard that I didn’t use much of the books I brought because I just didn’t know how to do them.

lets hope for the best for everyone!

I’ve taken this exam two other times and this was the first that I had difficulty answering any theory or code questions. I hope we get some more feedback from others. I took EET and maybe I was so bummed out by the questions that I didn’t look up how to do some problems in my eet manual, but I’ll say, it was pretty hard that I didn’t use much of the books I brought because I just didn’t know how to do them.

I also took EET but felt that the test was beyond what even EET covered. Sure, we got introduced to all of those codes and stuff, but it was insanely specific to the code, and the test gave no clue as to where to find it. I was just totally frantic the afternoon searching for stuff.

I also took EET but felt that the test was beyond what even EET covered. Sure, we got introduced to all of those codes and stuff, but it was insanely specific to the code, and the test gave no clue as to where to find it. I was just totally frantic the afternoon searching for stuff.
Exactly how I felt! I kept saying to myself “omg, f this...omg f me” I kept thinking maybe I’m the idiot who can’t find anything in the code books. I’m glad I’m not the only one. I thought EET was great, but I barely used anything from EET for the depth; or at least for the problems I was able to do.

Exactly how I felt! I kept saying to myself “omg, f this...omg f me” I kept thinking maybe I’m the idiot who can’t find anything in the code books. I’m glad I’m not the only one. I thought EET was great, but I barely used anything from EET for the depth; or at least for the problems I was able to do.
I was just crushed in the afternoon & was thinking maybe if I had taken a course would have helped me. Looks like that too is not the case.

Mnguy88: How was the PM part in the last 2 times.

I took EET also, I felt the morning was a breeze, honestly feel very confident on 37/40 and the other 3 I think I still had a good chance. The afternoon was definitely harder. I agree there was stuff EET didn't cover, but during my studying I did find everything EET covered in all of the codes and tabbed those along with thing's I thought were still important, every code lookup question and even some calculating questions were in the codes word for word. I won't deny I was a little rushed with my last few I was struggling on at the end. I counted at the end and felt confident on 31/40 in the afternoon ( but I may have fallen for their traps, who knows) and still ok on a couple others,and probably 3 that I was stumped on. This is my first time taking it, so I can't compare how it was in difficulty to past exams. I will say tho there were at least a few problems that initially looked very difficult and I skipped, but after coming back and looking st it again they wee actually very simple analysis problems

I was just crushed in the afternoon & was thinking maybe if I had taken a course would have helped me. Looks like that too is not the case.

Mnguy88: How was the PM part in the last 2 times.
Each exam that I’ve taken have been very different from each other. I would say, they all are similar in difficulty but maybe had more emphasis in one area more than another. I felt this one was the most challenging for me when it came to looking up codes. The last two times, I didn’t struggle finding the codes to answer a question like I did with this exam.

Each exam that I’ve taken have been very different from each other. I would say, they all are similar in difficulty but maybe had more emphasis in one area more than another. I felt this one was the most challenging for me when it came to looking up codes. The last two times, I didn’t struggle finding the codes to answer a question like I did with this exam.
By studying previous threads, found out that cut-off is generally between 48-57 raw score  based on difficulty. What was the highest failing score last 2 times in Structure.

Do you think this time the cut-off will exceed 50 raw score.

By studying previous threads, found out that cut-off is generally between 48-57 raw score  based on difficulty. What was the highest failing score last 2 times in Structure.

Do you think this time the cut-off will exceed 50 raw score.
It’s hard to guess what the cutoff score will be but it looks like 56 has been the most probable passing score. I’ve seen on here someone failing structural with a score of 55/80.

It’s hard to guess what the cutoff score will be but it looks like 56 has been the most probable passing score. I’ve seen on here someone failing structural with a score of 55/80.
Pardon me, as I am electrical, not structural and should stay in my lane, but aren't those adjusted scores that people see?  For instance, the person in question failed with an adjusted 55/80.  I didn't think that candidates ever see nominal scores, as everything is scaled and you're never given what you got wrong on a specific per-question basis (which bothers me, as I would benefit greatly from knowing which specific questions I got wrong).

Last edited by a moderator:

Me too- I was expecting some code related questions, but did not expect the test to be THIS code-heavy. I know we're not allowed to discussed specific exam questions, and hope this is okay to mention, but I felt one had to be equally comfortable with ALL the codes to do well on last week's exam. I used all of the ones I had- the AISC, ACI, TMS, ASCE, IBC and NDS and would have used the other 3 if I had them- ASHTO, PCI and OSHA. Several of them weren't easy lookups either. 

Pardon me, as I am electrical, not structural and should stay in my lane, but aren't those adjusted scores that people see?  For instance, the person in question failed with an adjusted 55/80.  I didn't think that candidates ever see nominal scores, as everything is scaled and you're never given what you got wrong on a specific per-question basis (which bothers me, as I would benefit greatly from knowing which specific questions I got wrong).
This is new to me. What is the meaning of adjusted score? Is 55 not the raw score. Can someone given an example how adjusted score is calculated

This is new to me. What is the meaning of adjusted score? Is 55 not the raw score. Can someone given an example how adjusted score is calculated
When you fail, you receive your diagnostics.  It shows how many you got right in each category of the exam.

For folks ONLY in Texas, they are given their percentage score for passing or fail.  Sometimes when results comes out, the examinees in texas can help with finding out the "cut score" and the adjusted score.  For example, someone might fail with 48/80 (60%) on their NCEES diagnostics, but the Texas board shows that they failed with a 68%.  So, you can do the math and see that a few questions may have been thrown out.  Someone posted on here before on how NCEES scores the exams.  Its a lengthy process, but just know some questions are thrown out.

When you fail, you receive your diagnostics.  It shows how many you got right in each category of the exam.

For folks ONLY in Texas, they are given their percentage score for passing or fail.  Sometimes when results comes out, the examinees in texas can help with finding out the "cut score" and the adjusted score.  For example, someone might fail with 48/80 (60%) on their NCEES diagnostics, but the Texas board shows that they failed with a 68%.  So, you can do the math and see that a few questions may have been thrown out.  Someone posted on here before on how NCEES scores the exams.  Its a lengthy process, but just know some questions are thrown out.
Thanks. But, what if you crack those questions which have been thrown out. Will that mean that those would not be counted as correct answers.

Thanks. But, what if you crack those questions which have been thrown out. Will that mean that those would not be counted as correct answers.
I really don't know how they'll score it. I don't think it could go against you to answer a question thrown out correctly.

Results should be coming out soon!! How did others do on the exam?

Is that means if someone got 50/80 it will be count as 70% and will pass.

Is that means if someone got 50/80 it will be count as 70% and will pass.
Correct. I believe if you read in the water resources forum, their typical “passing” score is 45/80. It varies between depths and exam cycles. However, I think structural has been consistent at around 56/80.

Back