Jump to content
Engineer Boards
​ ​
cfm03

How many references are you bringing?

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, mongolianbbq said:

After reading the results forum topics for previous years, one common theme was "I brought a ton of stuff but only used the MERM"

With 6 minutes per problem I'm not sure how you'd have time to use anything besides MERM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
After reading the results forum topics for previous years, one common theme was "I brought a ton of stuff but only used the MERM"
I think it comes down to your style of studying. During all the mocks I took so far, I have noticed that I used the following in the exact order:

1.Merm reference manual
2.Cheetsheet unit conversion
3.Keenan steam/gas tables,
4.Solved problem binder
5.Cameron

The rest are just fillers...just in case type.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, sambisu said:

With 6 minutes per problem I'm not sure how you'd have time to use anything besides MERM

I think with the format change a few years ago, the exams are now more in depth. I'm studying for the HVAC&R exam and have come across countless problems that I need to reference the ASHRAE books. 

I'm bringing:

-2017 ASHRAE Fundamentals

-2016 ASHRAE HVAC and Equipment

-2015 ASHRAE HVAC Applications

-2014 ASHRAE Refrigeration

-MERM

-MERM Quick Reference Equation book

-Personally bound book with eng pro guides equations, psych charts, notes, etc.

-Will also probably bring the NCEES practice exam and Lindeburg's book of practice problems. If I get stuck on a problem I will try to find a similar problem/solution to go off of.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm bringing:

  1. MERM
  2. Home made reference (about 100 pages, bound with cover)
  3. Crane "Flow of Fluids" (mostly for fluid/gas properties)
  4. Cameron Hydraulic Data (for quick and dirty approximations)
  5. Dr. Tom's material (basically a metric ton of worked problems)
  6. College Thermo textbook (I like the steam table layout)
  7. PPI unit conversions

Item #2 is what I have found to be most useful. It's a collection of crib sheets, MERM index, property tables, steam tables (SI and US) printed on 11x17, refrigerant tables, psychrometric charts printed on 11x18, Mollier printed on 11x17, home brewed flowcharts, etc. Basically, it's everything I used for practice extracted out of MERM and other references for ease of use and then tabbed identically to MERM. Since it's just printer paper bound with a plastic snap-on binding, I can flip through this like a paperback, much faster than I can turn pages in the MERM. Plus it's handy in case I simultaneously need a table and equation from MERM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My "Go to" references:

MERM
Unit conversion book
Machinery handbook
Binder of notes

 

References that i will bring but wont be out on the table:

NCEES practice exam
Engproguides practice exam
Scott Hart and Kevin Klein practice exam
NCEES FE practice exam
Engineering pro guides study book
Tim Kennedy study book
Lindburgh practice problem book

Edited by Kloeb222

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kloeb222 said:

My "Go to" references:

MERM
Unit conversion book
Machinery handbook
Binder of notes

 

References that i will bring but wont be out on the table:

NCEES practice exam
Engproguides practice sample exam
Scott Hart and Kevin Klein practice exam
NCEES FE practice exam
Engineering pro guides study book
Tim Kennedy study book
Lindburgh practice problem book

Similar to mine, though I have all my solved problems in a question bank folder and tabbed by each topic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so no ones bringing the energy code, mech code, 90.1 or 62.5? Ive been trying to decide.

Im bringing for sure:

  • Merm
  • 4 AHRAE books (fundamentals, refrig, systems and applications)
  • Proengineer study guide that I printed off and 3 ringed
  • another 3 ring binder with psych charts and 6 pages (front and back) of notes and equations
  • conversion book
  • NCEES practice test
  • Proeng practice test
  • water bottle
  • granola bars. (i get hangry if i dont eat every couple hours)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, pat_in_the_hat said:

so no ones bringing the energy code, mech code, 90.1 or 62.5? Ive been trying to decide.

Im bringing for sure:

  • Merm
  • 4 AHRAE books (fundamentals, refrig, systems and applications)
  • Proengineer study guide that I printed off and 3 ringed
  • another 3 ring binder with psych charts and 6 pages (front and back) of notes and equations
  • conversion book
  • NCEES practice test
  • Proeng practice test
  • water bottle
  • granola bars. (i get hangry if i dont eat every couple hours)

I have mech and energy codes but I dont think they would ask question blindly, I think if any, it would be the same like in practice test, where they test if you understand or if you interpret it correctly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, emmajuwa said:

Similar to mine, though I have all my solved problems in a question bank folder and tabbed by each topic.

Oh and ill be bringing Shigleys. Although I didn't use it as much as i thought i would the during the last few months. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Kloeb222 said:

Oh and ill be bringing Shigleys. Although I didn't use it as much as i thought i would the during the last few months. 

 

Shigley is on standby for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2018 at 6:58 PM, Vel2018 said:

Thanks for sharing! 

 

By the way, anyone else bringing mechanical engineers dictionary? 

I did this past April and glad I brought it with me.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TFS/HVAC folks: BRING YOUR OWN STEAM TABLES (printed on 11x17 and folded accordion style). Get both US and SI units and make sure you understand the base units (e.g. the NIST SI steam tables are great but have units that might not perfectly match the problem statement). You have been warned. Happy stuDYING! :rotflmao:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, squaretaper said:

TFS/HVAC folks: BRING YOUR OWN STEAM TABLES (printed on 11x17 and folded accordion style). Get both US and SI units and make sure you understand the base units (e.g. the NIST SI steam tables are great but have units that might not perfectly match the problem statement). You have been warned. Happy stuDYING! :rotflmao:

whats a steam table?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ME_VT said:

whats a steam table?

Alternatively, print out an 11x17 Mollier diagram. I used this one to death and saved SO much time. Actually, definitely use Mollier first if at all possible. Steam tables come second (too many opportunities for mistakes).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2018 at 6:45 AM, sambisu said:

With 6 minutes per problem I'm not sure how you'd have time to use anything besides MERM

um because the MERM doesn't have everything and if you know your references, you quickly know which one to look in to help solve a problem?  I'm not sure how it takes any longer to look in one reference vs. another.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×