NCEES Sample Exam - Errata for WR (question #516)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAWRE

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, 

Longtime listener, first time caller. The NCEES Errata page does not have anything posted for the E&WR depth sample exam. Searched the forums with no luck. 

The answers to question #516 are in the wrong units (see attached.) Unless I'm missing something here. Is there a contact at NCEES for reporting errata?  

Nothing helpful on NCEES website, either: 

https://ncees.org/exams/exam-preparation-materials/exam-prep-errata/

unnamed.jpg

I used the equation A = (Duration x Q)/2; Q peak is  (cf/sec-in). Solve for Q = (2*A)/Duration

I agree that the NCEES exam solutions don't exactly explain themselves that well, but this solution is correct.  1 ac-in/hr = 1 cfs (1.008 cfs really, but it's commonly used as 1:1).

As a side-note, McCuen (the reference for this problem) was my surface water hydrology professor, and he drilled 1ac-in/hr = 1 cfs into us.  He was a great teacher.

I'm taking this exam next Friday as well - good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
 Oh wow! I should have known that. I'm embarrassed, but happy to be making a note of that in my book. Good luck to all!

Hello everybody. I appreciate the feedback the feedback for this problem, but I still have no idea how you are solving this problem. I do know that ac-in/hr is equivalent to cfs, but this problem only states area and duration. There is no info pertaining to storm intensity. I do believe this problem contains errors.

The problem reads as: 

A unit hydrograph for a 200-acre watershed has a triangular shape and a duration of 4 hours. The peak flow rate (cfs/in of precipitation) for runoff (ignoring infiltration through the soil) is most nearly:

How did the solution determine v=200 acre-in?

How does acre-in/hr convert to cfs/in, it converts to only cfs.

I have officially wasted far too much time on this problem now.

I would think a problem like this would use 

Q(peak) = 0.756A / t

Not my subject, but an acre-ft  is an acre covered with water 12 inches deep, so an acre-in is an acre covered1inch deep.

So from the solution 4hr x Q/2 = 200 acre-in  so then Q = 100 acre-in/hr x (43560 SF/1 acre) x (1 hr/3600 seconds) x (1ft/12 in) = 100.833 cfs /in of precip. or 100 cfs/in.

Does that make sense?

Back