Watches?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breezy_moto

Reaction score
The information regarding watches on my exam authorization is rather conflicting.

Top section: "1. No...watches....or any other electronic devices may be worn on the wrist. 3. The test site will have large timers available to keep track of time."

Bottom section: "Wear a watch and turn off the beeping function. Clocks are not always visible. Smart watches are prohibited."

Thoughts/experiences?

DO NOT under ANY circumstances wear a fitness tracking device of any brand.  people were thrown out of the test in a couple states for that.  a non-digital watch to set on the table would be best.  

Except at my location, if you had a watch (I agree, analog is best) had to be worn on the wrist! It couldn't be put on the table.

Thanks guys. You'd think they'd be a little more clear on the subject. But I will bring an analog watch and put it where I am told lol.

Is this from NCEES or the State rules? Also which State?

Maryland had a fitbit fiasco a few years ago (referenced above) and they now forbid all jewelry.

I wore a very simple digital watch with a stop watch.  As soon as they said 'start', I started my stopwatch.  All beeping sounds were turned off.  It stayed on my wrist.  Did this for 8 hr, CA-Seismic, CA-Survey, and FE.    

I still swear to this day that they called stop exactly one minute early on my CA-Survey Exam.  :eek:/  

Mine just says: "Wear a watch and turn off the beeping function. Clocks are not always visible. Smart watches are prohibited."

I'll be wearing a regular analog watch. Most of my watches are automatic mechanical action (no battery) so those ones are truly electronics free. :p

In CA they won't allow you to put your wristwatch on table. Only a tableclock can be put on table. 

If you accidentally stroll in with a forbidden device and you're too far from your car/hotel, they should have an "amnesty box" where you can leave gadgets, phones, fitness trackers, and (gasp!) unapproved calculators. So don't stress too much, if you're not looking for trouble neither are the proctors, probably.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it would be NCEES. Yes, it's in MD. 
When in doubt: follow the more restrictive instructions.

The bottom section of the authorization is the boilerplate instructions. The boxed top section is the state or site specific instructions. They don't always agree.

You can find a few other tips here:

Watches real bad.  You could try this instead  
hqdefault.jpg

I wore a very simple digital watch with a stop watch.  As soon as they said 'start', I started my stopwatch.  All beeping sounds were turned off.  It stayed on my wrist.  Did this for 8 hr, CA-Seismic, CA-Survey, and FE.    

I still swear to this day that they called stop exactly one minute early on my CA-Survey Exam.  :eek:/  
Ptatohed, what brand of watch did you use? I just realized the cheap Casio F91W watch I bought, the stopwatch feature only goes up to 60mins before it resets. I'd like to hit the stopwatch and have it go up to 4hrs like you mentioned. 

I never wear watches so I don't know anything about em, but can anyone recommend an affordable one that the stopwatch feature can go up to 4hrs? 

Ptatohed, what brand of watch did you use? I just realized the cheap Casio F91W watch I bought, the stopwatch feature only goes up to 60mins before it resets. I'd like to hit the stopwatch and have it go up to 4hrs like you mentioned. 

I never wear watches so I don't know anything about em, but can anyone recommend an affordable one that the stopwatch feature can go up to 4hrs? 
m_p, I don't remember the model number, sorry.  I can try to find it.... I'll think about where I put the watch.  I do think it was a Casio though.  Does your F91W have a countdown timer?  You can set it at 4 hours and have it count down.  Do make sure the alarm/beeping is turned off though.  

m_p, you are right about the F91W.  Yikes, that kinda blows.  

I found the watch I used for the exam, in my drawer.  :) It is a Casio DB-36.  

I'd recommend the DB-36 or:

W800H-1AV for $18

or

F201WA-1A for $10.50

or

W201AV-1AV for $12

or

W96H-1BV for $16

There a handful of choices under $20.  Good luck!

image.png

m_p, you are right about the F91W.  Yikes, that kinda blows.  

I found the watch I used for the exam, in my drawer.  :) It is a Casio DB-36.  

I'd recommend the DB-36 or:

W800H-1AV for $18

or

F201WA-1A for $10.50

or

W201AV-1AV for $12

or

W96H-1BV for $16

There a handful of choices under $20.  Good luck!

View attachment 11046
I got the W201 but I couldn’t find a mute feature. There’ll be a little beep when I start the stopwatch.  Do any experienced test takers see that being an issue? I can cough when I hit it lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I've worn the F91W the previous two times I took the test (in Missouri) and have not had any issues with it being digital or the beep when the stop watch starts.  I believe they are more worried if you have an alarm that goes off at 3:30 or something and beeps until you turn it off, which could be distracting to others. 

I got the W201 but I couldn’t find a mute feature. There’ll be a little beep when I start the stopwatch.  Do any experienced test takers see that being an issue? I can cough when I hit it lol
Now that you mention it, I don't think I was able to turn off the one chirp/beep it makes when you start the stop watch.  I think you'll be ok.  

Back