Pe exam arrival time

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PARSCORA

Reaction score
I just got my exam authorization.  I felt prepared before because it always seemed like I had awhile left, but it's crunch time!

anyway my question is, the exam authorization says to arrive by 7am.  Everyone says to arrive early, but I heard the test starts at 8am, so is 7am already with a built in hour early or should I plan on getting there at 6:15-6:30?  I'm about an hour away with southern cali traffic to deal with, so I don't want to take any chances, but I also don't want to show up 2 hrs early

I plan on getting there an hour early (my time says 7:15). Ill be up that early anyways due to having early riser babies!

Yup an hour early is best, find a parking spot, drink the coffee and relax.

they'll start letting you into the exam site around the 7 oclock hour. there will be a really, really long line of people waiting at 7 o clock. if you don't need time to decompress and are fine running in the door and starting the exam, you can gamble. but i would rather be early and relax than on time and late. 

Relax?! Ha! good one.  :D

I got the authorization email today. Mine says 7:15 for Chicago/northlake. I live about 30 min away so i'll probably leave shortly after 6.

I took my exam an hr away so I was out the door by 5:15 and at the test site around 6:30. Actual testing starts around 8, but they let us in the room around 7:30. This gives time to get all your stuff set up as well as them going over the instructions for the test. 

While it may be early, you have to consider potential morning traffic on your travel path as everyone else will still be on their normal work schedule.

Concur with all the responses here basically saying arriving very early is better than having to run to the exam room or, gasp, arriving late.  If I recall correctly, I got to the exam site 1-hour early but the time flies by.

Funny story - when waiting a group of us were chatting and someone mentioned that this test site does not allow eating/snacking during the exam.  One poor guy had one of those party size bags of kit kats and didn't want to throw it out so he started munching through them.  He must have had one major sugar crash midway through the morning exam.

Concur with all the responses here basically saying arriving very early is better than having to run to the exam room or, gasp, arriving late.  If I recall correctly, I got to the exam site 1-hour early but the time flies by.

Funny story - when waiting a group of us were chatting and someone mentioned that this test site does not allow eating/snacking during the exam.  One poor guy had one of those party size bags of kit kats and didn't want to throw it out so he started munching through them.  He must have had one major sugar crash midway through the morning exam.
lmao! There's always that one guy right there.

Yea getting that exam authorization makes this seem like its actually going to happen! I have to get from Northern Colorado down to Denver in morning rush hour  :unsure:

I feel bad for those on the fringes of their state needing to drive long distances just to even take the test. I am staying the night in Minneapolis the night of due to the distance.

I only had about an hour drive but I chose to stay local for less stress.

Back