Output voltage of a full wave rectifier with an open diode

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EngrinSF

Reaction score
Supposed we are given a full wave rectifier with an RMS input voltage of 120V , what would be the output voltage across the load if one of the diodes were open circuited?

I think the rectifier would then operate as a half wave rectifier and the output voltage would be half of the peak voltage?

Therefore the answer would be : (sqrt(2) * RMS voltage) / 2 = 85V?

Is this right?

Yes. EngProguides has the same problem execpt at 480V with a load of 30Ω. Find Vmax then divide by 2.

Same steps as you have done it also has another way of doing it with power equations which is useful if you are asked this same problem but only given the voltage across the load. 

Pfull = 480^2/30 = 7680W

Phalf  = 7680/2 = 3840W

Vhalf -> 3840 = V^2/30 -> V = 339V

I haven't taken the PE yet but the Engproguide test seems to be the most challenging one to me and relates to the NCEES practice test the closest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the reply!

Do you think it is worth buying the Engproguide? I am debating on it. I heard it's a downloadable link ? 

Thank you for the reply!

Do you think it is worth buying the Engproguide? I am debating on it. I heard it's a downloadable link ? 
Yes, you should definitely buy it. That is the only exam , which gave me the feel of an actual PE exam. 

@EngrinSF PM me for a promocode, should still be good.
Where were you last week when I bought the exam? Haha!

Also bought the book, which is good, but not having an index makes it extremely hard to navigate quickly. :-( Exam is unlike any of the others. Seems much harder (full page to solve using 3-6 equations at times) than CI, Spin Up, PPI and Graffeo (mostly 1 or maybe 2 equations to solve). Definitely makes me a bit nervous. I scored a 73% on it and up till now was in the 85-95% on the other 4 I mentioned. Lots of gen/motor internal voltage/reactance questions I hadn’t scene in any of the other tests and other surprises I wasn’t ready for. It’s a doozie. 

Yes, both were instant downloadable PDF. I printed at work and brought to Office Depot to have spiral bound and covered for like $5. 

Also bought the book, which is good, but not having an index makes it extremely hard to navigate quickly. :-( Exam is unlike any of the others. Seems much harder (full page to solve using 3-6 equations at times) than CI, Spin Up, PPI and Graffeo (mostly 1 or maybe 2 equations to solve). Definitely makes me a bit nervous. I scored a 73% on it and up till now was in the 85-95% on the other 4 I mentioned. Lots of gen/motor internal voltage/reactance questions I hadn’t scene in any of the other tests and other surprises I wasn’t ready for. It’s a doozie. 

Yes, both were instant downloadable PDF. I printed at work and brought to Office Depot to have spiral bound and covered for like $5. 
Was it your first time working through it that you got a 73?  The author said anything above 50 for a first time is good.

I already owned both the guide and the test before I got the code, decided today to get the code drill book he has. Not having an index is really a downside to it but alongside with Graffeo's book they seem to cover pretty much anything I have encountered. Maybe I will get bored and tab his guide book also.

Was it your first time working through it that you got a 73?  The author said anything above 50 for a first time is good.
I got about 60% on my first pass through, I plan to take it again and the NCEES practice test.  But I did remember seeing him say that 50% on the first pass through is pretty good. 

Thank you for the replies!

Diverting to another topic, can you tell me some good sources for reactors? I checked the Wildi Electrical Machines, drives and power systems and could not find it. Does anyone know if it's there in this book?

Back