Hi from NY — need advice about licensure qualification

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SideRule

Reaction score
I went to a Big-10 engineering school, but got a BSE in an interdisciplinary engineering program that wasn't ABET-certified. I went on to get master's and doctoral degrees in science, and I'm now tenure-track faculty with a teaching and research appointment at an engineering department in New York state.

Any suggestions as to the most straightforward way to get authorization to take the FE, and later PE, exams?

It would probably be most efficient to contact the department of licensure for your jurisdiction / ny state. They can give you a direct answer with your qualifications. 

Also check the board's website. You should be able to find the exact educational requirements and the different ways to meet it. Without a full application, if you call the board they will probably just give the standard response and will not review your exact details as to what school, what accreditations your program did/ didn't have etc. Any educational path not outlined in their guidelines may need full in depth review for approval.

I went to a Big-10 engineering school, but got a BSE in an interdisciplinary engineering program that wasn't ABET-certified. I went on to get master's and doctoral degrees in science, and I'm now tenure-track faculty with a teaching and research appointment at an engineering department in New York state.

Any suggestions as to the most straightforward way to get authorization to take the FE, and later PE, exams?
You should be OK to go for taking the FE examination without further approval see the table below form the NYS Professional Engineers website) - However, you will need 6 years experience as an Engineer before taking the PE.

Are you currently performing educational tasks that what would be considered 'Engineering Work' (i.e. Running Engineering Labs)?

If your Dean (or whoever your Manager/Supervisor happens to be) is will to sign-off on the Form 4, then you are Golden after 5-years (since they give you credit for one-year of graduate school).  Also, despite popular misconceptions, the person signing-off does not themselves need to be a PE, just your direct Supervisor.

NYSED 1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back