Table set up at exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellalshaaban

Reaction score
What was your table setup like when you took the exam?

Exam location?

Table size?

Number of people at each table?

Where did you keep your books?

Any other info appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stacks-of-books-on-table.jpg

NYC. Square card tables - one per examinee in a big gymnasium. I kept the most common books on my table and the rest in their bags on the floor.

I had 1/2 of a standard folding table.  I put all my books in a non-carryon type rolling suitcase that I put under my table.  I had my SOPE notes on my desk and my suitcase with everything else under the table.  I just reached into my suitcase when I needed the CERM or other code books/reference material.  The amount of reference material carried into the exam varied from a single backpack to a furniture dolly full of books in milk crates stacked on top of each other using bungee cords to hold them to the dolly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maryland

~10'x~2.5' wood folding table.

Two at a table. 250-300 total exam takers including SE.

Books had to be stored on the desk, or beneath it completely. Nothing in the aisles. Anything that couldn't fit there or any non-transparent storage materials had to be stored against one of the walls far from the examination tables.

I took two milkcrates in with me. I unloaded one crate with the 9 books I knew would be needed and placed those on the desk. Six books 2 high, spines facing me in a row in front of me. Three books (which were essentially of equal importance to my calculator) were on my left and right. The other milkcrate was left loaded and stored under my desk. These were the books I doubted I would use but brought just-in-case.  I don't recall touching that crate or the books within it during the test.

The amount of reference books needed seems pretty tightly tied to the exam subject. I know some disciplines require a ton of books. Some disciplines not so much. I probably could have answered 65-70/80 questions using only 2-3 books for the nuclear exam, and those were the three I mentioned above. Nuclear is now CBT and they supply the sole reference book.

Maryland
~10'x~2.5' wood folding table.
Two at a table. 250-300 total exam takers including SE.
Books had to be stored on the desk, or beneath it completely. Nothing in the aisles. Anything that couldn't fit there or any non-transparent storage materials had to be stored against one of the walls far from the examination tables.
I took two milkcrates in with me. I unloaded one crate with the 9 books I knew would be needed and placed those on the desk. Six books 2 high, spines facing me in a row in front of me. Three books (which were essentially of equal importance to my calculator) were on my left and right. The other milkcrate was left loaded and stored under my desk. These were the books I doubted I would use but brought just-in-case.  I don't recall touching that crate or the books within it during the test.
The amount of reference books needed seems pretty tightly tied to the exam subject. I know some disciplines require a ton of books. Some disciplines not so much. I probably could have answered 65-70/80 questions using only 2-3 books for the nuclear exam, and those were the three I mentioned above. Nuclear is now CBT and they supply the sole reference book.

This seems ridiculous to some but I’m planning on using this book cart. I probably have to take the wheels off to get it under a table. What are your thoughts on this?

ee1e7cad1a80f964f6e736c8232fd8fc.jpg

27e172c103964a2e4e839a7361b971b2.jpg

The use of a rolling bookshelf is ballsy.

Where is the testing location? You'll want to ask someone who's tested there to see if its even a useful idea. You may need to contact the board to see if its legal. I don't remember the state specific testing rules being sent out until a few weeks before the exam, so this whole plan may be for nought anyway.

It passes the letter of the law in Maryland, as written a few years ago, if it fits under the table. If it fits it would only be in only one orientation though.  I don't know how effective the set up would be in practice. The spines of the books would be out of sight, under a table, and pointed towards the aisle 90deg away from you. It doesn't make for easy access.  I don't remember the rules for having to get up from your seat during the test.

I've heard a couple stories of engineers that brought in large bookshelves or boxes of books, setting up a mini-office around them. In none of those stories did I hear that the engineer passed the exam...

The use of a rolling bookshelf is ballsy.
Where is the testing location? You'll want to ask someone who's tested there to see if its even a useful idea. You may need to contact the board to see if its legal. I don't remember the state specific testing rules being sent out until a few weeks before the exam, so this whole plan may be for nought anyway.
It passes the letter of the law in Maryland, as written a few years ago, if it fits under the table. If it fits it would only be in only one orientation though.  I don't know how effective the set up would be in practice. The spines of the books would be out of sight, under a table, and pointed towards the aisle 90deg away from you. It doesn't make for easy access.  I don't remember the rules for having to get up from your seat during the test.
I've heard a couple stories of engineers that brought in large bookshelves or boxes of books, setting up a mini-office around them. In none of those stories did I hear that the engineer passed the exam...

I appreciate your response. I see what you’re saying and I’m going to adjust. However, I don’t see the correlation between book set up and pass rate?

I appreciate your response. I see what you’re saying and I’m going to adjust. However, I don’t see the correlation between book set up and pass rate?

The correlation is having too many references can potentially hurt overall exam performance in terms of time to answer each question. Remember, each question allots roughly 6-1/2 minutes to complete. If one is constantly shuffling through references, this can really impact question response time. Not to mention the quantity of references that would necessitate an entire bookshelf. :thumbs:

Book set up doesn't matter, other than saving a few seconds-minutes during the exam.

But there is anecdotal evidence that the pass rate is inversely proportional to the number of references brought (above a certain threshold). The theory behind it is that people who know the material enough to pass, don't need to spend as much time scanning books during the exam looking for [whatever], that they already know generally where to look in what book and how to apply it. Those individuals would know that they wouldn't need to bring certain references because they are redundant with other books, or generally irrelevant to the exam.

The correlation is having too many references can potentially hurt overall exam performance in terms of time to answer each question. Remember, each question allots roughly 6-1/2 minutes to complete. If one is constantly shuffling through references, this can really impact question response time. Not to mention the quantity of references that would necessitate an entire bookshelf. :thumbs:
Much more elegant than what I wrote.

I always got a kick out of the 6 min/question allotment. I know its an average and all but some of those questions are on the tails of the bell curve. I remember a few that could have been solved by a high school senior in 10 seconds and others that would have taken Enrico Fermi 20 min to solve under the best of circumstances.

Book set up doesn't matter, other than saving a few seconds-minutes during the exam.

But there is anecdotal evidence that the pass rate is inversely proportional to the number of references brought (above a certain threshold). The theory behind it is that people who know the material enough to pass, don't need to spend as much time scanning books during the exam looking for [whatever], that they already know generally where to look in what book and how to apply it. Those individuals would know that they wouldn't need to bring certain references because they are redundant with other books, or generally irrelevant to the exam.

I appreciate all your guys help. I just wanted a level platform to put my books on with spine facing me. That shelf is only 16” or so long so it’s about the same as a crate. I’m only bringing about one milk crates worth of books.

I can tell you from experience that you should be able to line up one milkcrate of books, spines toward you on your table. Maybe you can bring book-ends if you want them standing up.

Unless you're in California! At least at my testing location, they wouldn't let us have any books standing up on the tabletops.

Anyway, where I tested, there were two people per standard folding table  (probably 8" long). I brought in all of my books (for the Civil: Structural PE exam, so I had a lot) in two bankers  boxes inside of a big suitcase. I divided my resources into the two boxes based on whether they were morning resources or afternoon. There was a little overlap between the morning and afternoon for me. I then kept my primary box (whether morning or night) underneath my table, and put the other box in my suitcase (unzipped) next to me, in the aisle (our proctors didn't care about stuff in the aisle, as long as it wasn't too big/impeding traffic). On my tabletop, I chose  the things I knew I was going to need the most (i.e. CERM/EET binders for the morning, and my EET binder and the ASCE, concrete, and steel codes for the afterrnoon).

Hope this helps!

After reading the comments above, I'm guess the contraption I have built (attached) ain't going to work out. Was going to use it as a rolling bookcase, but this won't fit under a desk, if thats what needs to happen.

Also, does this thing look as ridiculous to you guys as it does to me, or have you seen similar things on test day. Im testing in the Raleigh NC area.

BOOK PE 3.png

If you need,  you can just place the crates on the floor but use the cart for hauling.  I would also reccomend rotating the crates for hauling.  If for any reason you need to try to bring the cart up/down stairs at the testing center you could risk the top crate falling or emptying out if you leave it as shown in picture.

This seems ridiculous to some but I’m planning on using this book cart. I probably have to take the wheels off to get it under a table. What are your thoughts on this?

How do you plan on getting the cart and books from car to testing center? If going to bring it in loaded,  those wheels could be annoying if you have to travel a long distance or if it's a bumpy path from parking area to test room. 

How do you plan on getting the cart and books from car to testing center? If going to bring it in loaded,  those wheels could be annoying if you have to travel a long distance or if it's a bumpy path from parking area to test room. 
I ended up getting this from staples and it’s actually working great for the couple practice exams I’ve used used it for.
f84e18256b1cb2ddec5ab9f9dfe207a8.jpeg

Agree with @leggo PE.  When I took the exam in NYS books on the table were not allowed.  This entire thread is a bit out of control really.  To sum up:

1.  You may be best suited taking a generic staples box and packing the books so that when the box is on the floor the spine is facing you.

2.  As many others have stated, if you really need that many references, you may not know the material well enough.  From personal experience, other than the MERM and unit conversion book, I don't recall using many other references (ME T&FS).

Agree with [mention=33510]leggo PE[/mention].  When I took the exam in NYS books on the table were not allowed.  This entire thread is a bit out of control really.  To sum up:
1.  You may be best suited taking a generic staples box and packing the books so that when the box is on the floor the spine is facing you.
2.  As many others have stated, if you really need that many references, you may not know the material well enough.  From personal experience, other than the MERM and unit conversion book, I don't recall using many other references (ME T&FS).

I’m sorry if the original post wasn’t clear. I’m not taking 50 books to the exam. I have 4 books plus my practice exams and index binders. I was simply looking for the best means to have the books at the table. To be honest, I’m tired of people suggesting I don’t know the material just because I’m trying to get a sense of realistic conditions for the exam. It undermines the 200 hours of studying I’ve put into this exam.

I thought this forum’s purpose was for questions like this (“anything about the PE exam”). Your opinion on whether or not I know the material can be kept to yourself. You should have kept your post to bullet point #1 and stopped there. How does bullet point #2 help anyone?

Back