Jump to content
Engineer Boards

​ ​ ​
 photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
Sign in to follow this  
new_at_this

Qualifying experience under a non-PE supervisor

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I am from CA and I am planning to registrar as a PE in the State. While I think that I have qualifying experiences (engineering work for more than 3 years after completing my Civil PhD), the people I worked under did not have a PE license. 

Now, as CA board wants at least 4 reference letter with at least one from your supervisor (PE), I need your help with how to proceed. I am wondering if you all good people have any advice for me. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@CAPLS may be the best resource for you on this matter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, new_at_this said:

Hi,

I am from CA and I am planning to registrar as a PE in the State. While I think that I have qualifying experiences (engineering work for more than 3 years after completing my Civil PhD), the people I worked under did not have a PE license. 

Now, as CA board wants at least 4 reference letter with at least one from your supervisor (PE), I need your help with how to proceed. I am wondering if you all good people have any advice for me. Thank you!

If your education qualifies in CA, those with an approved PhD only need to provide a minimum of 12 months of engineering experience.  However, ALL claimed experience must have been gained serving under the responsible charge of someone that is licensed in the jurisdiction of the engineering projects for it to be considered as qualifying experience.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, CAPLS said:

If your education qualifies in CA, those with an approved PhD only need to provide a minimum of 12 months of engineering experience.  However, ALL claimed experience must have been gained serving under the responsible charge of someone that is licensed in the jurisdiction of the engineering projects for it to be considered as qualifying experience.

Thank you for responding. Just to double check, if I want to be licensed in CA after my PhD,  there is absolutely no other alternatives for me than getting a new job/supervisor with a PE licence and work under him/her for at least 12 months 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, new_at_this said:

Thank you for responding. Just to double check, if I want to be licensed in CA after my PhD,  there is absolutely no other alternatives for me than getting a new job/supervisor with a PE licence and work under him/her for at least 12 months 

Unless you have 12 months of engineering work experience, under a licensed civil engineer, that occurred after your BS graduation that does not overlap with your MS or PhD dates, no.  You mentioned that your current experience is the last 3 years since your PhD.  Do you have any experience between your BS graduation and the beginning of that 3 year period that was under a licensed engineer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, CAPLS said:

Unless you have 12 months of engineering work experience, under a licensed civil engineer, that occurred after your BS graduation that does not overlap with your MS or PhD dates, no.  You mentioned that your current experience is the last 3 years since your PhD.  Do you have any experience between your BS graduation and the beginning of that 3 year period that was under a licensed engineer?

Unfortunately not. I am heavily involved in engineering research. My projects although applied were supervised by university professors without a PE/management people in public agency without a PE. 

Thank you very much for your input. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, new_at_this said:

Unfortunately not. I am heavily involved in engineering research. My projects although applied were supervised by university professors without a PE/management people in public agency without a PE. 

Thank you very much for your input. 

Ah, I understand.  Well, once you can obtain the necessary experience I hope you decide to become licensed at that point.  Good luck to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there someone in the department/company that *does* have a PE, that you could request to be your supervisor so that you can obtain the required work experience hours without having to change jobs? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×