Qualifying experience under a non-PE supervisor

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new_at_this

Reaction score
Hi,

I am from CA and I am planning to registrar as a PE in the State. While I think that I have qualifying experiences (engineering work for more than 3 years after completing my Civil PhD), the people I worked under did not have a PE license. 

Now, as CA board wants at least 4 reference letter with at least one from your supervisor (PE), I need your help with how to proceed. I am wondering if you all good people have any advice for me. Thank you!

Hi,

I am from CA and I am planning to registrar as a PE in the State. While I think that I have qualifying experiences (engineering work for more than 3 years after completing my Civil PhD), the people I worked under did not have a PE license. 

Now, as CA board wants at least 4 reference letter with at least one from your supervisor (PE), I need your help with how to proceed. I am wondering if you all good people have any advice for me. Thank you!
If your education qualifies in CA, those with an approved PhD only need to provide a minimum of 12 months of engineering experience.  However, ALL claimed experience must have been gained serving under the responsible charge of someone that is licensed in the jurisdiction of the engineering projects for it to be considered as qualifying experience.

If your education qualifies in CA, those with an approved PhD only need to provide a minimum of 12 months of engineering experience.  However, ALL claimed experience must have been gained serving under the responsible charge of someone that is licensed in the jurisdiction of the engineering projects for it to be considered as qualifying experience.
Thank you for responding. Just to double check, if I want to be licensed in CA after my PhD,  there is absolutely no other alternatives for me than getting a new job/supervisor with a PE licence and work under him/her for at least 12 months 

Thank you for responding. Just to double check, if I want to be licensed in CA after my PhD,  there is absolutely no other alternatives for me than getting a new job/supervisor with a PE licence and work under him/her for at least 12 months 
Unless you have 12 months of engineering work experience, under a licensed civil engineer, that occurred after your BS graduation that does not overlap with your MS or PhD dates, no.  You mentioned that your current experience is the last 3 years since your PhD.  Do you have any experience between your BS graduation and the beginning of that 3 year period that was under a licensed engineer?

Unless you have 12 months of engineering work experience, under a licensed civil engineer, that occurred after your BS graduation that does not overlap with your MS or PhD dates, no.  You mentioned that your current experience is the last 3 years since your PhD.  Do you have any experience between your BS graduation and the beginning of that 3 year period that was under a licensed engineer?
Unfortunately not. I am heavily involved in engineering research. My projects although applied were supervised by university professors without a PE/management people in public agency without a PE. 

Thank you very much for your input. 

Unfortunately not. I am heavily involved in engineering research. My projects although applied were supervised by university professors without a PE/management people in public agency without a PE. 

Thank you very much for your input. 
Ah, I understand.  Well, once you can obtain the necessary experience I hope you decide to become licensed at that point.  Good luck to you.

Is there someone in the department/company that *does* have a PE, that you could request to be your supervisor so that you can obtain the required work experience hours without having to change jobs? 

Back