Does anyone keep their materials after passing?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModestMussorgsky

Reaction score
I've kept my reference manuals and sold off most of the study books.  I'm left with the CERM.  Since I've passed (almost 3 years ago), I haven't opened it once.  But there's so much good info in it.  Other PE's I work with end up using it as a monitor stand or keep it on their shelves for years without opening it.  For those who kept it, have you ever used it?  Was it worth it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I kept everything after the exam because I'm a pack-rat. Admittedly, I really haven't looked at any of the study material since and eventually gave most of that away to co-workers who were prepping.  

I did use my standards books (MUTCD mostly) and CERM fairly regularly in my day-to-day work, but that was before I moved overseas. All that stuff is still packed up in storage somewhere, simply because my new desk doesn't have as much shelf space as what I had before and it all can be found online.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know why everyone is so quick to sell their stuff after they pass.  I saved everything.  I have used it 1.) to help members here with questions they may have and 2.) to do a little side work of preparing test prep material.  I can't say I have used it much for work though. 

I kept everything after the exam because I'm a pack-rat. Admittedly, I really haven't looked at any of the study material since and eventually gave most of that away to co-workers who were prepping.  

I did use my standards books (MUTCD mostly) and CERM fairly regularly in my day-to-day work, but that was before I moved overseas. All that stuff is still packed up in storage somewhere, simply because my new desk doesn't have as much shelf space as what I had before and it all can be found online.
Yeah, I still use the MUTCD, HCM, AASHTO, so I kept them all.  The CERM though, haven't opened once.  I feel kind of guilty holding on to it if I'm not using it.

I don't know why everyone is so quick to sell their stuff after they pass.  I saved everything.  I have used it 1.) to help members here with questions they may have and 2.) to do a little side work of preparing test prep material.  I can't say I have used it much for work though. 
I think its because the high investment cost.  As far as the reference manuals, those are a must keep in my opinion.  But the Lindeburg stuff, etc.  Why even hold on to it if you're not going to use it professionally?  I tried to give my stuff away to coworkers and nobody wanted it.  SO I ended up selling most of it.

I've kept most of it.  I believe the only item I sold was the 2001 NCEES practice exam.  Admittedly, other than committee stuff, I don't use the material at work.

I am the de facto keeper of code books/reference material in our office, so all the code book/reference manuals are on our shelves.  I update the code books every so often (when the I-codes got updated to 2018 for instance) so I was able to have our company purchase the material i needed for the exam as code/reference update material.

With that said, I did keep the CERM, SOPE, NCEES practice exam at home. I pull out the practice exam every exam cycle and realize how screwed I would be if had to take the exam again. 

Back