Forces

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly, no other information given other than this. My solution was to do square root of ( 8^2 + 15^2 ) = 17.

Then F= 200 x (17/8) = 425 as the solution

Engineer22 - If these are the types of questions you are studying for the SE exam, I think you are going to be in for a rough time. You might want to look into buying a study guide or 2 that deals specifically with the SE exam.  See PPI, IBC Seismic Manuals, Bridge Questions for the SE Exam (my book), etc.

If you are just doing these for the fun of it, carry on.  

my thought would be have more information to clarify the problem lol!

This is all that was given! I’m sorry it’s so bare, just looking for guidance on my solution. I have to solve for that force.

you can't, though. if you don't know the length of the wall - the load is in PLF (which I've never seen called LPF, but I could have just not been exposed to it?). So in using trigonometry, yes you could hypothetically figure out the force in the cable that is connecting the two walls. But is there any force in the second wall? Is it just resisting? Is "x" a point or an angle? I understand you were given two dimensions so you could solve for the angle anyway, but the "x" looks like it's labeling the angle, not the point. Then you could use the method of sections to figure out the load components / a resultant at a point. 

it's not your fault that it's bare if you didn't develop it, but i would speak with the person who is providing you these questions and request that they come up with problems that have a solvable solution. 

This question is vague, but this is how I would interpret it if force to solve it:

8' X 200PLF = 1600# (since why else would they give you length of wall and linear #/ft)

Then its just a force triangle, 8'/1600# = 17'/X

X = 3400#

Which is pretty much what you already did. But this is a bad question IMO. 

Agree. The 8ft isn't the length of the wall though imo, it's the horizontal dimension from one end of the diagonal to the other

Back