New to the board

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xetrov123

Reaction score
Good morning, my name is Chris and I live in the pacific northwest, specifically in Tacoma Washington. I am currently working on the engineer in training long form application with the intention of eventually taking the test for the control system engineer PE. I have had over twelve years of control system experience with increasing responsibility that includes creating and maintaining standards, programming, designing control systems, leading design teams, and eventually project management. Additionally, I have experience as an electrician. 

As I am filling out the work experience section of long form application, I get the sense that what experience I provide is just as important as how I explain it. Could any of the veterans give me any clues as to what the board is looking for when reviewing these answers?

Thank you all!

Chris Roberts 

Good morning, my name is Chris and I live in the pacific northwest, specifically in Tacoma Washington. I am currently working on the engineer in training long form application with the intention of eventually taking the test for the control system engineer PE. I have had over twelve years of control system experience with increasing responsibility that includes creating and maintaining standards, programming, designing control systems, leading design teams, and eventually project management. Additionally, I have experience as an electrician. 

As I am filling out the work experience section of long form application, I get the sense that what experience I provide is just as important as how I explain it. Could any of the veterans give me any clues as to what the board is looking for when reviewing these answers?

Thank you all!

Chris Roberts 
Try these two links:

https://www.nspe.org/resources/licensure/resources/demonstrating-qualifying-engineering-experience-licensure

https://engineering.stackexchange.com/questions/2437/what-constitutes-progressive-engineering-experience

This is from the State of Tennessee Board:

What constitutes progressive engineering experience?

The Special Committee on Experience Evaluation of the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) has developed the following guidelines for the work areas and skills an engineer intern must develop to obtain progressive engineering experience. Board members utilize these guidelines when evaluating exam applications, with greater weight being given to the Practical Application of Theory component.

PRACTICAL APPLICATION OF THEORY

• ANALYSIS--of operating conditions; performance assessment; feasibility studies; constructability; value engineering; safety; environmental issues; economic issues; risk assessment; reliability.
  • DESIGN--construction plan or specification preparation; product specifications; component selection; maintenance and social implications of final product.
  • TESTING--developing or specifying testing procedures; verifying functional specifications; implementing quality control and assurance; maintenance and replacement evaluation.
  • IMPLEMENTATION--of engineering principles in design, construction, or research; performance of engineering cost studies; process flow and time studies; implementation of quality control and assurance; safety issues; environmental issues.
  • SYSTEMS APPLICATION--evaluation of components of a larger system; evaluation of the reliability of system parts; design and evaluation of equipment control systems while considering ergonomics, utility, manufacturing tolerances, and operating and maintenance concerns; the engineering required to establish programs and procedures for the maintenance and management of buildings, bridges, and other types of structures where failure or improper operation would endanger the public health and safety.
  • TIME IN THE ENGINEERING PROCESS--difficulties of workflow; scheduling; equipment life; corrosion rates and replacement scheduling.
  • KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING--codes, standards, regulations, and laws that govern applicable engineering activities.
MANAGEMENT OF ENGINEERING

Engineering management includes supervising staff, managing engineering projects, and managing and administering technology as it is applied in the field or in construction. It may involve:

• PLANNING--developing concepts; evaluating alternative methods.
  • SCHEDULING--preparing task breakdowns and schedules.
  • BUDGETING AND CONTRACTING--cost estimating and control; contract development.
  • SUPERVISING--organizing human resources; motivating teams; directing and coordinating project resources.
  • PROJECT CONTROL--complete or partial project control.
  • RISK ASSESSMENT--assessment of risk associated with the progression of the project.
COMMUNICATION SKILLS

• Accumulation of project knowledge through interpersonal communication with supervisors, clients, subordinates, or team interaction.
  • Transmission of project knowledge in verbal or written methods to clients, supervisors, subordinates, the general public, or team members. Examples would be via meetings, written reports, public hearings and reporting or findings and suggestions, other written correspondence and/or verbal briefings.
SOCIAL IMPLICATIONS OF ENGINEERING

• Promoting and safeguarding the health, safety, and welfare of the public as demonstrated in daily work activities.
  • Demonstrating an awareness of the consequences the work performed may incur and a desire to mitigate or eliminate any potential negative impact.
  • Following a code of ethics that promotes a high degree of integrity in the practice of professional engineering.
I had to clarify my experience and followed this as an outline and it was accepted.  MY NCCES record also follow this format and was eventually accepted, although they made me redo it a number of times.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey @xetrov123 welcome to the board from a fellow tacomite? Is that a thing? haha.

The above references parallel what I did for my WA PE application. The content is the most important part. Good luck in your quest! 

Back