Construction Depth Ref Manual / Test Problems

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tehparadox

Reaction score
Anybody use the Construction Depth Reference Manual for the Civil PE Exam (CECN2) from Thomas Korman on PPI2pass?  Is it worth it?  Also what about the Construction Depth Practice Exams for the Civil PE Exam? Any other practice problems to pass the construction PE exam? 

Anybody use the Construction Depth Reference Manual for the Civil PE Exam (CECN2) from Thomas Korman on PPI2pass?  Is it worth it?  Also what about the Construction Depth Practice Exams for the Civil PE Exam? Any other practice problems to pass the construction PE exam? 
I bought it, but never really used it in preparation.  However, I did use for one accounting type problem on the exam that was as simple formula lookup that was not in the CERM or my SOPE notes.

It's not bad and goes into more detail than the CERM.  It is nice to have if you need it, but it is rather expensive.  I would not consider it a necessity but more of a "luxury good" .

For practice problems I used: 

1. SOPE notes and problems  as the main source.
  2. NCEES practice exam as a simulated test a week before the exam.
  3. PPI Exam cafe a couple of weeks before the exam.  They had a special for about $20 to $30 for a month if I remember correctly and the questions were not that great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used the construction depth reference manual, not a ton but it helped. I spent more time looking up info in references I had while studying, to later find out a lot of it is actually in the Construction Depth reference manual. If you learn that manual well and know the sections that are actually covered in it, it can save you from needing a few of the other references listed for Construction Depth. It covers shoring, temporary loads on structures, trench/retaining wall design/geotech, accounting, estimating, and a lot of other stuff. Great overall afternoon reference if you learn how to use it, I could have saved time and money if I had studied more of it and realized I didn't need a few other books I bought. 

Back