How to transition to a core Design Engineer (CAD) role?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacknwhiterose

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am an ME working in the medical devices field for 10 years.  I've done a variety of stuff mostly with 2 companies (5 years each), mostly project engineering, verification/validation, testing, technical documentation, a little r&d, and in a previous life, a lot of SolidWorks CAD.  In the past year, my company has really gotten me away from my SolidWorks roots and I am missing it.  Plus, I get tired of the meetings/games you have to play with project engineering, managing projects, etc.  I'm thinking of looking for a new job where I could just do a lot more CAD Design, but I've never been in a full-fledged core Designer role.  My SolidWorks skills are upper-intermediate, I've done intermediate and advanced modeling, assemblies, and drafting (lofts, blends, configurations), know GD&T, and I feel the passion to get even better with it all.

What is the best way to transition towards more core design?  I can take my company computer home and play with solid works in my free time, have done a few youtube tutorials, etc.  I've researched SW training with local distributors, it's very expensive (over $1000.00) for the class I would probably want (Advanced Part Modelling) to beef up my skills.  Otherwise, will people be willing to take a chance on a mid-career professional and be willing to put me into a hard-core CAD/Design role?  How should I market myself?

One thing to consider is that some companies may see the CAD position as entry level so you may be limited in advancement opportunities as well salary. 

In terms of training in solid works, have you checked with local community colleges? They may have a class that would be a cheaper option.

My company views designers as equals to drafters which would be a demotion compared to being an engineer.  The engineers that I know who's majority of time is spent using CAD usually own their own businesses and do contract engineering work.

A licensed engineer's role should be to do layouts, analyses, and review of the design drafting team's work.  If you're beyond the entry level engineer doing CAD full time and are paid to do engineering, you're essentially wasting your company's resources.

Back