Rooftop Unit

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engineer22

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a super basic question- 

When you have rooftop equipment, and you are sizing the height of the screen to cover this equipment- do I need to take both the heights of the mounting coil and mounting curb into account? Or is the coil typically located within the curb itself? 

Total height should be Curb + Unit ...   Depends on the type of unit as the Air Inlet hood  is sometimes even higher.  Assuming your screen is to conceal all equipment?

If you are doing this for a real world application,  make sure you check with local rules. Municipalities may have their own specific regulations on how high screening needs to be as well as if you are limited to a specific height due to building height restrictions.  

Total height should be Curb + Unit ...   Depends on the type of unit as the Air Inlet hood  is sometimes even higher.  Assuming your screen is to conceal all equipment?
Thanks for your reply. Would it be the three respective heights of: mounting coil + mounting curb + equipment?

Or is a mounting coil housed inside a mounting curb?

A curb is just a support for the unit to sit on.  The rubber roofing material is usually adhered to the curb to maintain waterproofing.  The actual units sits on top of the curb with duct penetrations thru the curb supports, if your unit has those types of connections.  The coil is inside the unit.  The coil may not be the full height of the unit.  Weathhoods or air inlet hoods may add to the height.

I've worked at an MEP company for over 20 years, although not in our HVAC group, but never heard of an RTU mounting coil.  What the ***** is that?  

I may have recollected wrong, maybe it was coil, not mounting coil. In either case, coil sits inside curb?

Manufacturer specs should tell you exactly how the unit goes and the height of the equipment. The configuration may vary per manufacturer or specific model.

@Engineer22 & @youngmotivatedengineer

Engineer 22 I agree with Youngmotivatedengineer.

You need to request the factory cut sheets of the equipment per model #. Make sure to look into any additional equipment options that may be selected for your appilcation.

When you say "coil" I think of a fan coil or evaporator. Something to do with the heat exchange inside the unit to maintain a designed air temp.  See: https://www.dlsc.ca/air-fig1-illust.htm for reference.

These features are internal to the equipment typically. The enclosure of the unit would house this inside it's overall foot print.  

What type of material are you screening around the equipment? Just curious.

Best regards,

Brip

Back