Cladding

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engineer22

Reaction score
This came up in my study of seismic design and I can't seem to find a definitive answer, hoping someone can shed light: What type of cladding is utilized for a building in earthquake area? Given the choices of aluminum, metal, wood, and glass.

I am honestly torn- I know wood is excellent absorbing energy, and metals in general are ductile and should also perform well.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a weird question. I live in a seismic region and we utilize all of those as "cladding" on buildings. I would say aluminum or wood possibly, since they would contribute less to the seismic mass/ weigh less/ reduce base shear? 

That is a weird question. I live in a seismic region and we utilize all of those as "cladding" on buildings. I would say aluminum or wood possibly, since they would contribute less to the seismic mass/ weigh less/ reduce base shear? 
Yes, this was exactly my thought! I think wood is the most lightweight though.. aluminum and metal are also ductile and could handle the seismic movement, so I am rather torn.

If accommodations are made for seismic movements in the connections of the cladding to the structural frame then you could use any of those materials

Last edited by a moderator:
If accommodations are made for seismic movements in the connections of the cladding to the structural frame then you could use any of those materials
Can you elaborate some of the accommodations? Say metal or aluminum cladding to structural frame..... 

It's all in the details of the specific connections.  Instead of rigid connections, bushings/slides/etc. can be incorporated to allow movement between the two elements

The question didn't specify- unfortunately, it only listed the materials. I am confused because wood is lightweight and metal is ductile, so theoretically either could work? I understand that it  is a poorly written question and am just looking for a best guess. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Back