Bill Tracking

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramnares P.E.

Reaction score
How do you keep track of bills?  Outlook calendar? App?

With the new home purchase I now have quite a few bills to keep track of and the memory just isn't as good as it used to be.  Recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:
I set the ones I can to auto-pay, and for hard copies, we actually hung up three metal envelope storage thingies right on the inside door.  Junior gets the mail and sorts by name, so they stare me in the face when I walk through the door.  I pay them as I get them.

Excel spreadsheet. 

Oh yes, I am an engineer.
x2 :thumbs:

Most bills are documented in Excel but scheduled in our financial institution's bill pay system. Which can be exported as need be. Reminders are also set that can be emailed/SMS'd but since the payments are fairly regular, I've cut back on those.

I guess i'm old fashioned.  Write them all down in a ledger.  Sunday Afternoons i sit down and pay the bills for the week.  Several are on autopay and anything i can pay online i do. 

How do you keep track of bills?  Outlook calendar? App?

With the new home purchase I now have quite a few bills to keep track of and the memory just isn't as good as it used to be.  Recommendations?
I usually get a phone call from the company when my bills need to get paid. 

I like to wait until at least the 3rd "notice" also ;)

But in all serious the wife is the OCD bill person so she deals with it. She is so paranoid about them she actually reviews the online credit monitoring every month when she does the bills to make sure that the 'credit score' people are correct... guess that's a rare quality in a woman but I am so far removed from it I wouldn't even know where to start if I had to start dealing with it..

60785474.jpg

the wife is the OCD bill person so she deals with it. She is so paranoid about them she actually reviews the online credit monitoring every month when she does the bills to make sure that the 'credit score' people are correct... guess that's a rare quality in a woman but I am so far removed from it I wouldn't even know where to start if I had to start dealing with it..
But can she unclog the toilet? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have only a couple of bills (car insurance, electricity, internet + cable, and rent). I pay rent by check (because our landlord is old fashioned), have my car insurance as auto-pay, and pay the internet + cable and electricity bills once I get the email reminders, generally at the month.

I pay everything through my bank's online billpay system. (car, mortgage/tax/ins, credit cards)

I get paid monthly, so I pay all of my bills immediately after that, and my regular occurring bills are all grouped together. it inherently shows my most recent payment date, so i can verify every month that I'm up to date. I like getting paid monthly so I can just pay everything once a month. I've aligned all of my credit cards to have the same pay by date to help me stay sane. 

Every bill that is possible to pay on a CC I do. (Hulu, utilities) I get points for it, and it auto pays so I'll never be late, and then I just pay my CCs in full every month which helps me streamline the process. 

Mint might have a way to organize bill due dates etc. I know I get a notice when my cc payment is due soon. 

My wife does all the bill pay.  She just uses the online bill pay of our bank.  When a bill comes in, it gets filed into a special area and once or twice a month she goes through the stack.  I downloaded an ap called Bills Reminder Pro, but have never used it.  Looked good when I got it, though.

x2 :thumbs:

Most bills are documented in Excel but scheduled in our financial institution's bill pay system. Which can be exported as need be. Reminders are also set that can be emailed/SMS'd but since the payments are fairly regular, I've cut back on those.
x 1.5

Back