Wood Structural Panels (Diaphragms)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mithrandir918

Reaction score
image.png

Wood Structural Panels consist of plywood, OSB and composite panels and are recommend thought NOT required per NDS SDPWS for use on wood diaphragms.  The tables for unit shears provided in the SDPWS appear to be only given for WSP sheathing (either for Structural I or basically all other grades).  So what happens if you have a gypsum board or particleboard sheathing, where do we get design values for this?

image.png.49f1a9fe15cff600e9c490bf35a66bfc.png

Wood Structural Panels consist of plywood, OSB and composite panels and are recommend thought NOT required per NDS SDPWS for use on wood diaphragms.  The tables for unit shears provided in the SDPWS appear to be only given for WSP sheathing (either for Structural I or basically all other grades).  So what happens if you have a gypsum board or particleboard sheathing, where do we get design values for this?
Look at the tables again. I don't have my sdpws on hand but I'm sure I've found gyp values. Maybe more tables on different pages or a special line. Can't remember exactly because I never use gyp for anything but 100plf for existing buildings in practice

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

IBC is for stapled diaphragms though my problem was for nailed.
Does this help.... 

I've never liked considering the shear value of gypsum board over a diaphragm or wall. I even had issues using it as sheathing for 4.4.1.2 c or other considerations that allow us to consider the system continuously braced because of the gypsum sheathing. However, I suppose I am being conservative by it.  

In case this image is helpful, I think it is, I am including the link to the PDF. There is more research out there on gypsum board over stud walls with gypsum being Cement base taped and other samples not. The results are interesting, but It still doesn't make it comfortable for me to include it in my calcs. I wouldn't like to use particle board for that matter and there is enough data for it that could be helpful in some designs. 

http://www.icc-es.org/reports/pdf_files/ESR-1338.pdf

Gypsum Shear Wall Values.JPG

Back