Structural Lateral Interpretation + CLT inquiry

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User1

Reaction score
I'm currently designing a residential apartment building. It is set up with 2 "block" types. One is a 2 story version; the other is a 3 story. CLT Floor system, so I'll be analyzing it as a rigid diaphragm. The architect has multiple combinations of these "blocks" to form a couple variations of the building. 

I'm hoping to be efficient with my design and calculations and be able to analyze the "blocks" separately as laterally and vertically independent systems that just happen to be adjacent to each other, but I'm wondering how others interpret the code re: seismic joints required in between the two buildings. 

I have done a group of (3) townhomes and the related permit comment was to verify that the three units are independent of each other, so that's what I was hoping I could do here, but my PM raised a great point that I want to further investigate about the seismic joint requirement. 

also, does anyone have any useful CLT lateral resources? the fabricator has "goal" design values but no testing done yet - they will get there but are on an accelerated design path. They are hoping for 2-way panels with minimum post locations. I've located a few, but none give a full picture of system values/capacities compared with span tables, for example. 

Here's a schematic sketch of what I'm talking about for context
8be9f5c832aa7cb0692e4d3c656a9e49.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

yeah, i've found some decent resources and watched a webinar yesterday. just putting feelers out there in case there's something I might not have happened upon. 

the link you provided - that's for lay in ceilings? do you have some specific part of that reference that you're pointing to? I'm not sure it applies to what I'm investigating. Thanks!

Back