Formwork for concrete Reference book

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Display Name

Reaction score
Can I get by with the 6th edition of this book for the construction PE exam or is the 8th edition worth the $250?

While older versions may be cheaper or available online, it is best to use the version of the code listed in the test specifications. It may seem expensive up front, but think about how you will feel and how much it will cost if you fail by 1 question because code requirements change and you solve the problem based on an outdated code. 

The one you may be able to get away with using an older version of is the CERM. For the most part much of the material will probably be the same.  However, the newer versions may be organized in different order and same topics may be added/removed from the book based on the revisions to test specifications.  If you are taking an online review course, you may not even use the CERM a whole bunch during the exam. Personally,  I took EET review course and I used their reference book as my main source during the actual exam. 

Keep in mind, realistically if you buy it new, pass the first time and resell the book your $250 SP4 really costs $50 after you sell it for $200. The risk you have is they don't change to Rev 9. Unlikely IMO for this particular book.

I liked the newer edition personally. Per above, School of PE as well was revised with the new code sections/titles. I had an old edition from work and said screw it because I couldn't bounce back and forth from SoPE notes to the SP4.

Back