Winter Olympics 2018

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leggo PE

Straight Waffle-izer
Reaction score
Should be fun! What are your all favorite sports to watch in the Winter Games? Rooting for anyone in particular?

Indeed! We're actually going to an Olympic themed party next weekend where we plan our own series of mini-events for everyone and keep a score tally for prizes (note: not participation awards) at the end. :thumbs:

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed! We're actually going to an Olympic themed party next weekend where we plan our own series of mini-events for everyone and keep a score tally for prizes (note: not participation awards) at the end. :thumbs:
Is beer involved? My friends and I did a beer olympics for the 2012 Summer Olympics. The marathon was really tough.

What RG said.  I like watching anything that is more action oriented, so no figure skating or curling (how is that even a sport).

Our Roku TV has an NBC Olympic channel on it that I downloaded.  It's pretty neat.  You can watch all the live events, not just what they're showing on network TV, and even before the actual games started, you could watch a lot of the preliminaries and training runs.

I love figure skating! Tara Lapinski was my idol in the 1998 Winter Olympics. :)  Not so much the ice dancing though, as they don't do as many technical things like jumps or carries (if pairs).

I also like pretty much all skiing and snowboarding events, speed skating (I'm looking forward to mass speedskating, which is new this year, in particular), and the biathlon (which is weirdly exciting for me!). But I'll probably watch pretty much anything, including curling! I have a relatively good tolerance for becoming interested in very slow, commonly deemed unexciting sports.

Curling is my favorite Olympic sport by far.  I've played it, and it's extremely difficult to get that stone to stop where you want.

After that is the bobsled and luge, and maybe some skiing.

We're getting a lot of snow right now so maybe I'll break out my cross country skis and rifle this weekend and make my own biathlon?  What could go wrong there?

Ah, bobsledding and luge! And skeleton! I forgot those. They're always so fast and exciting!

Ah, bobsledding and luge! And skeleton! I forgot those. They're always so fast and exciting!
If you ever have the opportunity,  you should go to Lake Placid. You can go bobsledding and if you wanted to go Christmas day, you can do the luge also. I went there once with friends, crazy cold but was an awesome experience. 

Our friend group selects a country to root for. If said country wins total medal count, everyone must bring them beer from the country they chose. We then later have a party where you bring food from your country of choice. 

This is how I got all the beer and made poutine. 

OH CANADA, IT'S REALLY CLOSE TO MAINE

Anything but figure skating.  Im not a fan of sports where the winner is based on peoples opinions (skating, gymnastics, diving, etc).

Oh and GO 'Merica.

I love the Olympics!

I'll watch pretty much everything. When ice skating starts, I'll be sure to start drinking.

If you ever have the opportunity,  you should go to Lake Placid. You can go bobsledding and if you wanted to go Christmas day, you can do the luge also. I went there once with friends, crazy cold but was an awesome experience. 
My son's youth hockey team was in a tournament at Lake Placid.  They got to play a game on the "Miracle on Ice" rink. (I was surprised how small the arena was).  There were at least 3 rinks IIRC.  we were only there for a weekend and spent the vast majority of the time with the team and the games so we didn't get to explore all that much.  Plus it snowed pretty much the whole time we were there but I'd love to go back.  Very cool place.

I can never get too interested in the summer Olympics to be honest. when I lived in Atlanta we went to see some of the Olympic rowing and the kayak course on the Ocoee. But I generally gloss over all the track, gymnastics stuff..

Cross country skiing!  lots of alaskans on the roster and two Fairbanks boys!

Back