Charles in Charge

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nothing really surprises me with any of these Hollywood types, more every day it seems.  May not solve the problem but probably be good for everyone to unplug from TV, Movies for a year or so to make them feel some financial pain until they can clean house

It appears that Hollywood has viewed being a sleazeball as a resume enhancement for a long time now.  I pretty much tuned out a number of years ago figuring I have better things to do with my time.

regarding the Olympic doctor guy, did anyone follow enough to know how he was able to scare these girls into not talking?  I didn't read much on it (just cause it was so sickening) but was he holding what he did over them and threaten to deem them not eligible to compete or something?  I just don't know what he could have used for almost a decade to have them to afraid to talk?  Hope he gets put in general population.

With respect to Dr. Nassar I understand that he did his groping under the guise of a medical exam/massage for the athletes.  I believe the fear was that if they questioned his methods at all they would risk losing their team spot or competitive place in the gymnastics field.  I understand that some of the kids would mention it to the parents and the parents deferred to Dr's reputation that what the was doing was part of valid medical practice for elite athletes.

Id hate to ever get so blinded by my desire for my kid to be on a team that I would ever get fooled like that, but the small time we were involved on competitive sports teams it seems many parents would do almost anything to make their kid the next Lindsey Von, mega start,etc. They should throw a parade for whomever finally called BS on that and brought it to light

again I just hope this guy spends a long time being multiple inmates bitch, but I think I read the taxpayers would spend more money to keep him in isolation because of that, maybe a guard will slip him a knife so he can cut his own throat (or something)

There's tons of coverage of this around here since it's a few minutes drive away.  Some of the girls DID bring it up with their parents/coaches/school and nothing happened.  The local police even investigated him, but they believed him when he said it was a legitimate medical procedure.

Heads are rolling all over the place because of the lack of action by the associated schools/coaches/training facilities.  The NCAA investigation of Michigan State is just beginning, and some people are trying to tie it to sexual assaults by football players that they claim were also swept under the rug.  I'm sure Michigan State will see some sort of penalties from NCAA similar to Penn State.

The president of the university has already been forced to resign, and the students and faculty are calling for the entire board of trustees to be forced out too.

One of the dads last week asked the judge for five minutes alone with Nassar.  When the judge said no he tried to assault Nassar in the middle of the courtroom.

You're also forgetting the shame aspect of this. How much did anyone ever talk to their parents about sex? I think it takes a very strong teenager to say, "I think the team doctor is sexually assaulting me." 

With regard to Scott, is there anyone that doubts he got it on with her?  She was a total tart back then.  Not sayin' that she was, in fact, assaulted.  I'm sayin' it seems more than likely she was a willing participant.  And **** if she hasn't let herself go. :B

With regard to Scott, is there anyone that doubts he got it on with her?  She was a total tart back then.  Not sayin' that she was, in fact, assaulted.  I'm sayin' it seems more than likely she was a willing participant.  And **** if she hasn't let herself go. :B

I have to assume you're joking, but either way it's not funny.

The reasonable side of my brain wants to take all these 30 year old allegations with a grain of salt.  I'm glad she is going through the police, maybe he pressured her, maybe she was a tease, maybe they were both young and dumb?  Scott Baio pretty much dropped off the face of the earth in the mid 80's - why not bring this up sooner?  Those are just the "reasonable" parts of my brain. But I tend to agree that most of Hollywood is scum and the men want to prey on the young women.

But there are women in Hollywood as well....

Remember the news article / book about Carrie Fischer's affair with Harrison Ford when she was pretty young and he was "a bit" older?  She didn't claim any abuse, but its still creepy to me she was around 19, he in his 30's?  He was also married at the time, with kids..  "legal" age but I think most of us wouldn't want our daughters dating a 30 year old when they are basically right out of HS.

So pretty much all of our Hollywood heros are pretty much scum, or worse, when you find out Mark Hammill is such a panty waste liberal :(   (pour out a 40)

The reasonable side of my brain wants to take all these 30 year old allegations with a grain of salt.  I'm glad she is going through the police, maybe he pressured her, maybe she was a tease, maybe they were both young and dumb?  Scott Baio pretty much dropped off the face of the earth in the mid 80's - why not bring this up sooner?  Those are just the "reasonable" parts of my brain. But I tend to agree that most of Hollywood is scum and the men want to prey on the young women.

Remember the news article / book about Carrie Fischer's affair with Harrison Ford when she was pretty young and he was "a bit" older?  She didn't claim any abuse, but its still creepy to me she was around 19, he in his 30's?  He was also married at the time, with kids..  "legal" age but I think most of us wouldn't want our daughters dating a 30 year old when they are basically right out of HS.

So pretty much all of our Hollywood heros are pretty much scum, or worse, when you find out Mark Hammill is such a panty waste liberal :(   (pour out a 40)
Yep. Well said.

So pretty much all of our Hollywood heros are pretty much scum, or worse, when you find out Mark Hammill is such a panty waste liberal [emoji20]  (pour out a 40)

I agree with most of this, except the why not sooner / why now thing. It is much easier now to draw support from sharing such a difficult experience now, than it was then. And the consequences of calling someone out now vs when you're in a financially trying part of your career are much less because it's likely you wouldn't suffer as much now from backlash, as you would then.

I feel like noone should be let off the "hook" if they did something wrong based on time passed. If someone has committed wrongdoing they need to own it.

If the person is truly still affected by this, my heart breaks for them that they've had such pain for so long.

And, because this is a very sensitive subject, I want to clarify that I'm not saying any of the above words aggressively. Simply discussing my opinions. I feel weird saying that but is true.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Assuming she is telling the truth, this stuff was going on when she was 14 and 15 and he was in his late 20s, so yes, it was assault.  Even if she was willing, girls of that age are not legally capable of giving consent.

And being a "tart" has nothing to do with whether someone was sexually assaulted.

Replying to TJ

I agree with that (I am just saying its part of my brain that has trouble immediately passing judgment)

Id be more than happy to see the long time ago stuff (if found true) be prosecuted & those bringing charges about things ultimately learned to be lying to also be charged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Replying to TJ

I agree with that (I am just saying its part of my brain that has trouble immediately passing judgment)

Id be more than happy to see the long time ago stuff (if found true) be prosecuted & those bringing charges about things ultimately learned to be lying to also be charged.
same. especially for those lying even moreso, I feel. because not only does it affect the person being lied about, it adds to the stigma of....well who else is lying? which contributes to the whole vicious circle of they won't believe me anyway so i'm not going to say anything well why didnt you say something if something really happened etc etc. 

ps sorry if this got too serio. lol

Back