Bonus/Salary Increase expected for PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tiger

I new around here, so please excuse me if I have missed this somewhere else. I have browsed around and did not see this specifically.

My question is: What kind of bonus and/or salary increase are you expecting (or did you receive) for having passed the PE?

I saw in the salary thread that a few people mentioned it made a difference and others mentioned they got nothing, but I am looking for more information. I work for a small company (15 employees) and wondered what I should consider reasonable for a :p in salary based on others experience. Any info is appreciated!

Looking to get about 3%, but the company is less than one month old with (3) people. Asphalt & geotech consulting firm.

From what I have seen, 10% is pretty average in private firms. You can probably do ~5% better with some haggling.

The question is just too general and doesn't account for all of the variables involved, particularly the economy.

For example, the MI economy is in the tank, I work for a small company, and we all took a salary and benefits cut. I have been here two years and I make $0.08/hr more than when I started! Supposedly, there is a $2000 salary increase for obtaining the PE, though I haven't seen it.

I am actively looking for a different job :angry:

:BS: :2cents: :2cents: :2cents: :brickwall:

I just got 5%, but I'm not complaining, its more than nothing and my rate isn't real bad anyway. I'm in a 100 people sized firm, A&E and consulting, primarily nuclear, but not nuke power.

Chaos

very dependent on work done and company profile. I'm in a fairly large consulting company where engineers are pretty much expected to get/have thier P.E. when eligible. Only upper mangaement is allowed/asked to actually stamp drawings so staff P.E.'s are credentials only. Rewards for getting your P.E. depend on your pay grade level. If someon is already at a level where the P.E. is expected then rewards are small, maybe 3-5%. If the qualification permits an increase in level, then you're likely to get promoted which will be a 5-10% increase.

Sorry about this but I received a 85% raise last year after passing the P.E. I also jumped from Municipal work to Cunsulting work. The Owner/Boss also gave me a after 6 months of employment.

RleonPE

Sorry about this but I received a 85% raise last year after passing the P.E. I also jumped from Municipal work to Cunsulting work. The Owner/Boss also gave me a after 6 months of employment.
RleonPE
:th_rockon: :lmao: :banhim:

Just kidding RLeon. That is great....PE at max exposure. :bio:

I work for a heavy construction company and actually have no clue what kind of a raise a fresh PE would get. But I was strongly advised to refuse to stamp any plans if I don't get a substantial raise. Of course I still have to get my stamp. :th_rockon:

I work for a heavy construction company and actually have no clue what kind of a raise a fresh PE would get. But I was strongly advised to refuse to stamp any plans if I don't get a substantial raise. Of course I still have to get my stamp. :th_rockon:
I don't know who advised you, but I'll add this: you need to make sure that anything that you stamp meets all of the board mandated requirements (usually something like, "work done by you or by someone under your direct supervision...") also make sure liability is covered by errors and omissions insurance (the company's/your own/somebody's). "Substantial raise" is a relative term, but increased responsibility/liability should come with increased compensation.

Looking to get about 3%, but the company is less than one month old with (3) people. Asphalt & geotech consulting firm.
I got 5% for passing the PE. I joined an upstart office 2 years ago. My company (consulting, 5 offices in northern New England, +/-60 people) bought out an LA office in the area and wanted to grow a civil division there.

They couldn't offer the huge raise a large company could, but getting in on the ground floor was nice. I'm doing stuff younger guys might not get to do at larger places and the exposure to various stuff is great. Plus it's nice being one of the "old timers" at the office.

Thank y'all so much for all of the helpful posts. I am seeing that it definitely varies a lot from person to person, but your replies have given me a better idea of what to expect.

Thanks!

I don't know who advised you, but I'll add this: you need to make sure that anything that you stamp meets all of the board mandated requirements (usually something like, "work done by you or by someone under your direct supervision...") also make sure liability is covered by errors and omissions insurance (the company's/your own/somebody's). "Substantial raise" is a relative term, but increased responsibility/liability should come with increased compensation.
Well, of course. That goes without saying. I thought we're just talking about money here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I work for a construction manager... I can expect to get a whopping 0% (although it will look really good in our company portfolio when they pitch me for a specific project).

-Ray

Well, of course. That goes without saying. I thought we're just talking about money here.
Well the way you phrased it "But I was strongly advised to refuse to stamp any plans if I don't get a substantial raise." you were advised to refuse stamping anything without compensation. Believe it or not, there are some company's that ask the registered individual to stamp company documents (requiring a stamp) that may not meet these requirements as far as supervising/doing the work. And they pay them pretty well for acting as the "company stamp".

Provided it was your work and you had adequate liability coverage, I can't see why you wouldn't stamp something, either for yourself or for your employer. Afterall you got paid for doing the work.

Out of curiosity, what value do you or your advisor put on a stamp?

Well the way you phrased it "But I was strongly advised to refuse to stamp any plans if I don't get a substantial raise." you were advised to refuse stamping anything without compensation. Believe it or not, there are some company's that ask the registered individual to stamp company documents (requiring a stamp) that may not meet these requirements as far as supervising/doing the work. And they pay them pretty well for acting as the "company stamp".
Provided it was your work and you had adequate liability coverage, I can't see why you wouldn't stamp something, either for yourself or for your employer. Afterall you got paid for doing the work.

Out of curiosity, what value do you or your advisor put on a stamp?
If we go thru all the effort to get our stamp and the company benefits from it, they should give us a pay raise, especially if the company is doing very well financially. The company I work for has quite a few PEs working for them and they wouldn't need another one. So I don't know if they would give me a raise or not. But I wouldn't stamp anything without a raise.They'd probably care less. But you know, I want to be a PE to get a better pay at some point in time. After all, I didn't get up at 4 in the morning every day and study just for fun. It has to pay off some day.

I understand that the picture looks very different if you work for a small company and they're dependent on you.

Back