Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Road Guy

Damn united airlines at it again!

photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif

EMOTIONAL. SUPPORT. PEACOCK.  WTF.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Can I bring an emotional support peacock to work?  Maybe an emotional support squirrel.  

No amount of opprobrium is too much for that individual.

• Like 2

and if this is a gripe about United thread, I just took their new "basic economy" from DEN to LAX.  No carry on?  WTF?  No advance check in unless you buy a checked bag? 

We have the United Explorer Credit Card but only the card holder (my wife) gets any benefits? 

Where's the scissors?

• Like 2

The wife and boys are taking United to Ireland this Spring. Will they have normal "international" amenities or will it be a basic 8 hour flight of misery?

I would say probably misery if flying economy, but unless it's basic economy you should get your standard meals and bevvies. 

I just booked economy tickets to europe for this fall and paid an extra 150 to choose my seats ahead of time :o 

1 hour ago, cement said:

and if this is a gripe about United thread, I just took their new "basic economy" from DEN to LAX.  No carry on?  WTF?  No advance check in unless you buy a checked bag? 

We have the United Explorer Credit Card but only the card holder (my wife) gets any benefits? 

Where's the scissors?

yeah, and fun fact - most basic economy fares are at the same level as the old non basic economy fares. but if it helps more people see more places or visit loved ones more often because they can afford more tickets, then yay i guess. 

the one good thing is the entire plan is "rented" its one of those HS Marching Band trips, I think they are taking 3 planes, but all the seats will be band nerds - feel sorry for the flight crew - especially the plane that is mostly "percussion" people ;)

tell them to fight for the biz class seats then! ha

I'm sure the faculty /band staff who the band boosters (parents) are paying their share of the trip will grab those - but I will tell my kids to go for those and remind the faculty they ain't paying for their seats #fuckedup

When I was flying back and forth to Afghanistan all the time, the military would charter planes to get between D.C. and Kuwait.  One flight home was on a 737 so we ended up having to make 5 or 6 stops.  My R&R was right before Christmas so the flight back was almost creepy....a 777 with maybe 20 people on it.  Weren't many people heading back to the 'Stan right before Christmas but people are always trying to head home for the holidays so they have to size the plane based on the number of people they would be picking up, hence the 777.

5 hours ago, cement said:

^ I see somebody is subscribed to word of the day

Nope. I just pay attention on these forums.

• Like 1

I read an article about this too. It seems that it was not the fact that it was a peacock, but that it was TOO BIG. That made it even more ridiculous to me!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, leggo PE said:

I read an article about this too. It seems that it was not the fact that it was a peacock, but that it was TOO BIG. That made it even more ridiculous to me!

The peacock was too big? Damn, I’ve never had that happen before. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, matt267 PE said:

The peacock was too big? Damn, I’ve never had that happen before. 

Well, that's what, in fact, she said.

• Like 3

Even the American-based airlines have different baselines for international versus domestic flight ammenities.

Basic domestic only really covers your seat. Everything else (carry on, snack, checked bag, etc) is extra, but it varies based on airlines.

Basic international always allows for at least one checked bag, you get one carryone + a "personal item" (book, jacket, purse, etc), and any flight longer than 3hrs has at least one meal + drinks.

31 minutes ago, leggo PE said:

and it had its own ticket/seat.  Seems reasonable to me.  :brickwall:

idk, i feel like if you need a support animal to the extent that you need it to travel with you, maybe don't choose a peacock. 

people have been abusing the support animal allowances terribly. I do not support this action. I understand you want to take your babies with you but make proper arrangements for this to happen. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, tj_PE said:

people have been abusing the support animal allowances terribly. I do not support this action. I understand you want to take your babies with you but make proper arrangements for this to happen. 

Agreed.

I have been on UA only one time before.

Last year we went to Taiwan were were on one of those god forsaken UA 747's with the communal movies. The movies sucked and the wifi streaming didn't work. I just kept telling myself that it was a cheap ticket. (And it was.)

This summer we will be using them again (cheap ticket) and will be flying on the 777. Each seat will have the standard touch screen entertainment so it should go ok.

In international coach, you'll get a hot meal and free beer/ wine. UA's beer sucks so I would need to recommend the wine. 

58 minutes ago, kevo_55 said:

Last year we went to Taiwan were were on one of those god forsaken UA 747's with the communal movies. The movies sucked and the wifi streaming didn't work. I just kept telling myself that it was a cheap ticket. (And it was.)

#BYOMobileMediaDeviceFail 

:P

• Like 1

The Flyer family encountered the same BYO device system on a flight from Germany to Chicago.  We had the following 2 problems:

1.  No power available at the seats.  All the little kids that had spent the last few hours killing their iPad batteries had no way to charge them.

2.  The wifi system crashed about 10 minutes into the 8hr flight. 

It was an aircraft full of very unhappy people.