Help Needed on Reference Forms in CA

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JenSho

Reaction score
I'm trying to get an FE Waiver in CA and have a few questions and I'm wondering if anyone here can help as I'm waiting for a phone call back from the board. I'm an EE with over 20 years of experience in an exempt environment. So this translates to having only one reference that has a stamp and a true struggle to find sups/managers that aren't dead or retired (I wish I was joking about the dead part sadly).

1. "In responsible charge" seems to be a licensed PE term/classification. How do I translate this for my exempt references? The application says (http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/pubs/forms/peapp.pdf): "At least one of the licensed references must be from a person in responsible charge over the applicant for each engagement for which the applicant desires credit."

2. Do I need to provide references for all my engagements? I have experience performing work outside of electrical engineering, including my current job which is civil.

3. What should my exemption references say in the fill-in-the-blank after "I am legally exempt from licensure because" ......... ?  Does anyone else have any advice as to how to help your reference fill out the form when they are likely not familiar with the terminology in the form. I'm worried it will be a barrier to getting these back.

TIA,

Jennifer

I never totally understood exemptions but you can read about them in the PE Act.  Maybe that will help answer some of your questions.  Also, maybe @CAPLS can help.  Good luck. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe you need to have at least 10 years qualified experience for FE waiver. Why don't you just take the FE exam, it is not that difficult and will give you a lot of mobility for the certification.

In CA, electrical engineer unlike civil engineer, you could find electrical engineers who are exempt from PE for references, as long as they are in the position to decide whether you are qualified for the PE.  But I believe all these references should cover enough time for exemption. That is another reason why I would encourage you to take the FE exam first,  you only need 2 years experience rather than 10 years. 

http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/pe_errf_instructions_2010.pdf  The document would give you enough information for the references.

I believe you need to have at least 10 years qualified experience for FE waiver. Why don't you just take the FE exam, it is not that difficult and will give you a lot of mobility for the certification.

In CA, electrical engineer unlike civil engineer, you could find electrical engineers who are exempt from PE for references, as long as they are in the position to decide whether you are qualified for the PE.  But I believe all these references should cover enough time for exemption. That is another reason why I would encourage you to take the FE exam first,  you only need 2 years experience rather than 10 years. 

http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/pe_errf_instructions_2010.pdf  The document would give you enough information for the references.
If I understood correctly, I don't think her issue is with taking the FE or not.  Whether she is approved for the FE waiver or she passes the FE... I think her issue/question is about obtaining the proper references for the PE application since most of her supervisors are/were not PEs but are 'exempt'. 

Back