CA PE Timeline

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quique07

Reaction score
Hello everyone, 

I was wondering if some of you can give a brief timeline about how long your entire process to become PE took. 

From sending the application in the mail, to getting your license number. Approximate dates/ time frames are fine. 

I just want to get a feel of what I'm looking at in terms of time sequence. 

Thanks! 

1. 04/21/17 - Took NCEES 8 hour exam
  2. 05/25/17 - Received results notice from NCEES. Passed 8 hour. 
  3. 07/03/17 - Mailed my application package for licensure via USPS priority mail (with a tracking number)
  4. 07/05/17 - CA BPELSG received my application package (tracked with tracking number)
  5. 07/12/17 - CA BPELSG cashed the check in my application package
  6. 07/20/17 - Received email from CA BPELSG, stating that my application package was received
  7. 07/24/17 - Received email from CA BPELSG, stating that my application package was referred to technical review
  8. 09/05/17 - Received email from CA BPELSG, stating that my application package was technically approved
  9. 09/12/17 - Received both Authorizations to Test for Fall 2017 CA Exams 
  10. 10/24/17 - Took CA Seismic exam
  11. 11/07/17 - Took CA Engineering Survey exam
  12. 12/18/17 - Received result notice for both Seismic and Survey exams. Passed both. 
  13. 12/20/17 - Received license number

3. 07/03/17 - Mailed my application package for licensure via USPS priority mail (with a tracking number)
  4. 07/05/17 - CA BPELSG received my application package (tracked with tracking number)
  6. 07/20/17 - Received email from CA BPELSG, stating that my application package was received
  7. 07/24/17 - Received email from CA BPELSG, stating that my application package was referred to technical review
  8. 09/05/17 - Received email from CA BPELSG, stating that my application package was technically approved
  12. 12/18/17 - Received result notice for both Seismic and Survey exams. Passed both. 
Dang, 8 months, that's pretty bad A.  I think I started filling out my reference forms and application late 2009/ early 2010, applied, studied for a while, took one exam at a time every 6 months, got my license late 2011/early 2012.  24 months for me. 

Dang, 8 months, that's pretty bad A.  I think I started filling out my reference forms and application late 2009/ early 2010, applied, studied for a while, took one exam at a time every 6 months, got my license late 2011/early 2012.  24 months for me. 
Technically, quique07 asked how long the application period took for PE in CA.  According to k.heezy's schedule, that would have started 7/05/17...6 months.  Would be nice to cut that in half again.

That would be awesome! Cutting the process in half!

I submitted my application on Jan 5, I know is still way to soon for anything, but based on what others have said, they usually have had their checks cashed by now. Mines haven't.... 

That would be awesome! Cutting the process in half!

I submitted my application on Jan 5, I know is still way to soon for anything, but based on what others have said, they usually have had their checks cashed by now. Mines haven't.... 
Spoke too soon. I just checked my bank account, and got posted just now lol 

I sent in my application (for comity) late April. First communication was in mid June (application was incomplete). Fixed that within a week, was approved maybe within a week. Passed both exams first try and was licensed end of December.

8 months from application to license. Maybe 2.5 months from application sent to approved, though this would be shorter if your application is 100% when you send (I had an issue with a reference who didn't fill out form right).

Oh wow!!

So wait, if your application is deemed incomplete or "not approve" , does the state give you a change to complete it/ fix it? (Without having to start all over??)

I'm a little worry on the experience part because people have told me the state sometimes can get real picky on how things are worded... 

So i need to apply first, then get the OK to take these other two stupid tests??

Does that authorization to test go bad?

And yes, I'm too lazy to read that entire thread....but I have some work coming up in LA so I need to get rolling on this license.

So i need to apply first, then get the OK to take these other two stupid tests??

Does that authorization to test go bad?

And yes, I'm too lazy to read that entire thread....but I have some work coming up in LA so I need to get rolling on this license.
Yep that's right. You need to send in an application, wait for approval and an authorization to test (ATT) form from the board, and only then can you sign up. The ATT (and the board website) states that the ATT is only valid for you to take the test in the quarter that you were approved for. So if you're approved for Quarter 2, you have to take the test between April 1 and June 30. 

ugh....so I need to take a review course before I even apply?

CA is so weird. I bet this is Pelosi's doing, isn't it?

ugh....so I need to take a review course before I even apply?

CA is so weird. I bet this is Pelosi's doing, isn't it?
Technically, all you need is the appropriate work experience.  Taking a review course is solely your decision and not a requirement of any licensing board.

Hi @CAPLS I have question about postponing exam scheduling. So I am approved to take the exam in the April Quarter but I am not sure I will be prepared enough because I am traveling a lot for work these days. In case I want to schedule the exams on the following 3Q instead, do I need to do any additional processing with board or pay any extra fee? Thanks in advance.

Hi @CAPLS I have question about postponing exam scheduling. So I am approved to take the exam in the April Quarter but I am not sure I will be prepared enough because I am traveling a lot for work these days. In case I want to schedule the exams on the following 3Q instead, do I need to do any additional processing with board or pay any extra fee? Thanks in advance.
The CA Board has very specific policies related to approving postponements and it’s my understanding that not having enough time to prepare or work does not qualify to postpone. Especially given that the Board has essentially opened up the exam administration to be almost any day during that 90 day window that you were approved for. You would need to contact the Licensing Unit at the Board. 

WOW! You're My Hero 👆😄👏

Thank you for the info!

This was really helpful! 

UPDATED:

- 09/11/18 - Submitted application
- 09/12/18 - Packet received 
- 09/21/18 - Check was cashed
- 11/9/18 - Application referred to technical review
- 11/19/18 - Application approved
- 12/14/18 - Received Authorization to Test email

Last edited by a moderator:
This was really helpful! I wonder if it usually takes about a month after the package to be referred to technical review for it to be approved. 
So far:

- 09/11/18 - Submitted application
- 09/12/18 - Packet received 
- 09/21/18 - Check was cashed
- 11/9/18 - Application referred to technical review
I think they just submit them in batches, to be honest. I submitted my application just about the exact same time as you, believe it or not, and I got the email telling me it was referred for technical review on 11/9 as well.

I've read quite a bit about how people's applications have gone, and it seems to flip back and forth each year as to which part takes longer. It seems to average out to 2-4 months total, and either the initial evaluation takes the longest, or the technical review takes the longest.

Since we've clearly been on the evaluation part for a long time, I'll be surprised if we don't receive application approved emails by the first of next month. (I would assume earlier, but thanksgiving will throw a wrench in the process, I'm sure.)

I think they just submit them in batches, to be honest. I submitted my application just about the exact same time as you, believe it or not, and I got the email telling me it was referred for technical review on 11/9 as well.

I've read quite a bit about how people's applications have gone, and it seems to flip back and forth each year as to which part takes longer. It seems to average out to 2-4 months total, and either the initial evaluation takes the longest, or the technical review takes the longest.

Since we've clearly been on the evaluation part for a long time, I'll be surprised if we don't receive application approved emails by the first of next month. (I would assume earlier, but thanksgiving will throw a wrench in the process, I'm sure.)
That makes sense. Hopefully, we hear back soon! I'm actually planning to check in with them a few days before Thanksgiving since that would mark 60 days since our checks have been cashed. I will keep you updated. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back