Professional Ethics

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jhnblgr

Reaction score
I have a question on a recent incident where my former boss left the company without notice and started give proposals to my clients claiming that the professionals left at the company were not able to meet the clients needs. These statements were made prior to departure and undermined me as a professional. I am unsure what to do but I feel that this conduct is unacceptable. 

Seems to violate canon 5.g 

https://www.asce.org/code-of-ethics/

g. Engineers shall not maliciously or falsely, directly or indirectly, injure the professional reputation, prospects, practice or employment of another engineer or indiscriminately criticize another's work.
But I'm not an expert on ethics. 

Depending on how he communicated with the clients the company could possibly file criminal charges against him for using company property and time to solicit business for a third party, as well as defamation of character for the entire firm. 

You should check the state statutes for professinal engineers. In Florida the specific section is in Chapter 471.033.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2017/Chapter471/All

(f) Advertising goods or services in a manner that is fraudulent, false, deceptive, or misleading in form or content.
(g) Engaging in fraud or deceit, negligence, incompetence, or misconduct, in the practice of engineering.

You have many options and they all would need a copy of that letter.

1. Forward the letter to the State Board for their review/comment.

2. I would think a phone call to the old boss would have a quicker effect and might be enough to stop the bleeding.

3. Have your current company send the guy a letter through an attorney. There may be some info in the employee manual that deals with this situation. If he signed the employee manual notice then it could be considered a contract. Or if he signed a contract (non-solicit or non-complete) he may in breach of that contract as well.

4. Have your own attorney send a letter to the guy for libel.

You can take it as a lesson in business that some people are jerks and will do anything to get ahead. Don't stoop to their level, always act professional and your career and life will be better off in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question on a recent incident where my former boss left the company without notice and started give proposals to my clients claiming that the professionals left at the company were not able to meet the clients needs. These statements were made prior to departure and undermined me as a professional. I am unsure what to do but I feel that this conduct is unacceptable. 
I suppose hiring a hit man to take him out is out of the question?

If the proposals mirror work performed at your organization, your lawyers also need to look at possible IP theft.

Honestly you could waste a bunch of time and gather evidence and submit to the state board and maybe (big maybe) they may send him a nasty letter; if even that. But probably not worth your time unless your firm feels they are losing work for it and then they can get attorneys involved, but sadly these people exist and normally karma / life ends up catching up to them eventually

Now one of them shows up to bid openings and pre bids. They started handing out cards. Then the President of my company received a phone call from a client saying that I had an incident with one of their workers. I haven’t seen their worker in four years and don’t ever recall any such incident. Guess some people feel they have the right to interfere with my jobs. The reason listed for them leaving an inexperienced group which is funny since they hired everyone. 

Back