Greetings

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zach

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Zach. I am currently in my last year of mechanical engineering and will be graduating spring of 2018. I have a few questions regarding the FE license. Aside from taking classes next term, I will be taking a non-credited course offered at my university that will help me prepare for the FE license. The plan is to take the exam in my last term. I looked into signing up for it and noticed there are three FE exams, one for Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, and Machine Design. I am assuming all options will give one a FE license for mechanical engineering not in a particular field?

There is an agency I want to work for when I graduate that will give me the opportunity to earn a PE after four years of working under someone who is PE certified, however the agency I want to work for is extremely competitive, even my friend who is currently a PE holder there can't get me into the company. It seems like a lot of companies out there don't require new graduates to even have  FE license. A FE holder has to work under a PE for 4 years before taking the PE test no matter what, right? I'd rather take a PE as soon as possible than wait several years to work for a company that would allow me to take the exam. 

What state do you live in?  Some states allow you to take the PE any time after you pass your FE.  Some states require  4 years of experience before you can take the PE.  I am pretty sure all states require a minimum 4 years of experience under a PE, passing scores on the PE and FE exams and a 4 year degree from an accredited college before you can apply for a PE license.

Unless things have changed very recently, it is my understanding that there is no specific mechanical FE. Are the options not "mechanical, other disciplines, electrical, civil, environmental etc"? It sounds like you may be looking at PE exam options.

Back