say what?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
OK what the hell was that?  referring to

Luke popping into thin air?

Is this the end?????????

Have to say was kind of lost in the overall story line towards the end...

OK what the hell was that?  referring to

Luke popping into thin air?

Is this the end?????????

Have to say was kind of lost in the overall story line towards the end...
I'm confused by this as well. But I'm 90% sure Luke has now descended into the force ghost world (blue-glowy apparition). Which I don't necessarily think had to happen. I mean that simulation he generated did take a lot out of him, but didn't think it caused him any physical harm. But either way, he appears to now be physically gone but possibly still around as Obi-Wan was in Empire.

A couple of things I was not expecting. I certainly wasn't expecting to see Snoke get killed. That was an epic scene. I wasn't expecting to see Master Yoda, but that was really great.

Some things I'm still unsure of. At this point I really have no idea who Rey's parents are (maybe the old guy at the beginning of "The Force Awakens"?). And if Luke is truly gone, then who will carry on the Skywalker legacy in the final movie? I can only speculate that she is some descendant of the Skywalker family (not of Luke or Leia). Without a Skywalker, how can they truly end the "Skywalker Saga"? I guess technically Kylo Ren has the Skywalker bloodline as well. But I just don't see him coming back from the point of no return. There's still quite a bit to tie off in the final movie. Especially considering the Rebellion is now "starting over" as they put it. I agree though it was difficult to follow their "plans".

And what is/was the story on Snoke? What's his origin and overall role and how did he come into the picture between ROTJ and TFA?

Will be interesting to learn what they title the 9th movie. I need to go see Ep. 8 again either way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess for me killing off all the original cast doesn't sit well to be honest. I assume Luke will be back as "ghost force Luke" but I always figured the sequels would focus a little more on the original trio. But I know they have to have a new group to carry forward -but it's hard to make a Star Wars movie without Han Solo - that's one of the things the prequels lacked -

But at least the prequels had a good story , even if the movies themselves were not all that great.

The yoda scene was great - made me feel like a 12 year old again.

And I wish they would have told where the hell snoke came from. Maybe that was sidious's master who had been in hiding?

I Just think the movie makers "owed" it to all of us who basically built the Star Wars "empire" to have one more Luke Skywalker light saber battle -

And I wish they would have told where the hell snoke came from.
Agreed! I should add that to my synopsis above. Here's this new mega-powerful Sith they introduced in Ep. 7 and now he's basically dead and gone with no really story on his origin and what not.

Also, I had a few chills when I actually thought Luke was walking out to battle Kylo Ren. Because I figured they would save that until the final movie. Wish they had made the sequence a little longer though, even if it turned out to be a simulation.

Saw it over the weekend as well.  Loved the movie, but like you've pointed out above, still a few questions. The movie was really long, but also a bit thin. Too many under-developed storylines crammed into one movie, but I don't know how it could have progressed without them all.

Luke was clear-cut to me. He essentially did the same thing Yoda and Obi Wan did when they died. He accepted it as his time to go, let himself go to the force, and disappeared. Only a Jedi who is killed leaves a body (Vader, Qui Gon, Mace Windu, the Jedi temple, etc). Yes, that means I think Obi Wan died before Vader hit him.

I'm curious to see what they do with Leia. I saw several opportunities for the movie to "write her out" with a clean end, but have no idea what they do with her character moving forward. I read that the 9th (and final) movie was supposed to be centered around her. They have permission to use previously shot footage in the next movie, but it sounds like they won't include her at all.

I thought the Finn-Rose storyline was a bit cheesy, especially with the Benicio Del Toro character. BB-8 was used too much as a "bail out" for me to consider him a legit character. He miraculously appeared at all the right times to bail someone out. At least R2D2 had more function and development. 

I was convinced Laura Dern was in cahoots with the First Order. Glad she redeemed herself with the epic light-speed battering ram.

The fight scene with Rey, Kylo, and Snoke was awesome. Would have liked to know more about Snoke. It almost felt like Snoke was in the shadows since before than the Chancellor rose to power and was the real Sith master.

It never occurred to me to pay attention to the footprints in the red/white salt during the Luke/Kylo fight. They made such an obvious "look at me" note of it when the first guy gets out of the trench and leaves the footprints, then again when Kylo slides around during the fight. I never even looked at Luke's feet.

I'm not surprised Kylo did what he did. Everyone who has interacted with him seems to dictate what he should do and he finally snaps. He just wants to be in control of his own fate instead of listening to others (Snoke, Luke, Rey). I was almost expecting him to flip to the good side as Rey went to the dark. Rey and Kylo are obviously opposites and as one changes, the other does as well but in the opposite direction. Meanwhile both are getting stronger.

If Kylo had turned to the light side of the force I was going to get up and leave right then!

Saw it Friday night. I thought it was alright, but I seem to remember liking the first movie in this series more, whatever it was called.

I definitely didn't expect Luke to be a projection of himself in that battle with Kylo Ren until the light saber went through him without harming him. Even when they shot all the bullets at him, I kind of thought maybe he was so strong with the force that he deflected them all.

Still couldn't really take Adam Driver as Kylo Ren that seriously. The Kylo Ren character is still very similar to the character he played as Lena Dunham's boyfried on Girls.

and what the hell, that was the slowest chase scene in the galaxy.  seriously, the star destroyers are just following and waiting for the resistance to run out of gas?

This was a synopsis from a fan forum that I frequent. Which I (painfully) have to admit it's hard to argue with...

You could skip this movie and go straight to Episode 9 and not miss a beat. Nothing happened. Rey is still an untrained force user. Ren is still an emotional child. The resistance is still in bad shape. Luke died after using the force too much. Snoke died just because. There is now Force Skype. Jedis no longer need a decade of training to master the force or a lightsaber, they just need to read a couple old books. Star ships are now weapons at light-speed (which begs the question why didn’t they use the medical frigate at light speed before it ran out of fuel).

I also don't remember "fuel" being an issue in any other star wars movie?

No decent space battles (agree that the star destroyers were just sort of "there"), no real lightsaber duel in the entire movie - other than Ren / Rey dicing up the guards..

I had to put in Empire Strikes Back Sunday just to cleanse my brain of what Star Wars is supposed to be..

I did enjoy the discussion where the general is trying to talk kylo out of going down to battle luke, kylo throws him against the wall of the ship and the pilot immediately replies, "right away sir"

Those "dreadnaught" ships were cool looking. Kind of like the successor to a Super Star Destroyer. I also don't recall fuel ever being issue. It was usually more power and/or system problems where they had to find some place to land for repairs. The whole chase scene was like watching paint dry.

While we're talking about the few good/funny parts, I liked what Luke did with saber when Rey gave it back to him. "F this thing...throws it over his shoulder". LOL

And since RG brought up Empire, I've been wanting to know just how that lightsaber even came to be in Maz's possession from The Force Awakens. The last time any of us saw that weapon, it was getting lobbed off along with Luke's hand and landed in some random exhaust port in Cloud City. How F did anyone even find it (assuming it even landed)?! :huh:

People are getting so worked up about this. I am happy that I am able to let go and just enjoy Star Wars movies. This was a very enjoyable movie.

Even as a kid, I thought there was stuff in Return of the Jedi that sucked.  Sucked bad. But I still enjoyed it. I think this movie was better than ROTJ. 

On 12/17/2017 at 3:31 PM, Dexman PE PMP said:
Luke was clear-cut to me. He essentially did the same thing Yoda and Obi Wan did when they died. He accepted it as his time to go, let himself go to the force, and disappeared. Only a Jedi who is killed leaves a body (Vader, Qui Gon, Mace Windu, the Jedi temple, etc). Yes, that means I think Obi Wan died before Vader hit him.

I'm curious to see what they do with Leia. I saw several opportunities for the movie to "write her out" with a clean end, but have no idea what they do with her character moving forward. I read that the 9th (and final) movie was supposed to be centered around her. They have permission to use previously shot footage in the next movie, but it sounds like they won't include her at all.

Qui Gon actually did come back, but not a force ghost.  He appeared to Obi Wan in the Clone Wars series.  I think Yoda talked about this at the end of RotS.  So he passed on the training to Yoda and Obi Wan.  Vader I guess figured it out on his own?  

Did anyone else think Leia flying through space was dumb?  That whole scene was very silly to me as she flew through the air like Mary Poppins.

On 12/18/2017 at 1:07 PM, knight1fox3 said:
Those "dreadnaught" ships were cool looking. Kind of like the successor to a Super Star Destroyer. I also don't recall fuel ever being issue. It was usually more power and/or system problems where they had to find some place to land for repairs. The whole chase scene was like watching paint dry.

While we're talking about the few good/funny parts, I liked what Luke did with saber when Rey gave it back to him. "F this thing...throws it over his shoulder". LOL

And since RG brought up Empire, I've been wanting to know just how that lightsaber even came to be in Maz's possession from The Force Awakens. The last time any of us saw that weapon, it was getting lobbed off along with Luke's hand and landed in some random exhaust port in Cloud City. How F did anyone even find it (assuming it even landed)?! :huh:

The fuel plot and shields reminded me of Star Trek.  I was waiting for Worf to call out "Shields at 40% Captain!"  

The lightsaber throw was hilarious.  I also liked him wiping the dirt off his shoulder before his battle with Kylo Ren.

Maz said that would be a story for another day in the last movie.  Maybe they'll come out with Star Wars: Maz Kanata at some point.

Kylo said Rey's parents were junkers and nobody important.  Any reason to believe he was lying?  I thought she was going to be related to Luke in some way, but I guess not.

I thought the little kid at the end was going to do some kind of force lift on the rocks around him.

Overall, I really liked the movie.  My second viewing will be in imax next week.  

Did anyone else think Leia flying through space was dumb?  That whole scene was very silly to me as she flew through the air like Mary Poppins.
Yes. So many other ways that they could have demonstrated how she had force powers. 

Kylo said Rey's parents were junkers and nobody important.  Any reason to believe he was lying?  I thought she was going to be related to Luke in some way, but I guess not.
ABSOLUTELY! What do the Sith do best? They lie and deceive to generate hatred so as to fall prey to the dark side. Think about the ending of RotS, when Palpatine tells Vader that he killed Padme. Which was untrue but ultimately made him become the most powerful dark lord in the SW Universe. And how would Ren even know to begin with? He was trying to make her feel unwanted and isolated so that she would be more inclined to join him.

I thought the little kid at the end was going to do some kind of force lift on the rocks around him.
Well him moving the broom was pretty cool too though.

Back