Net Neutrality

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been loosely following it. We don't have it here in NZ and don't seem to have any issues, but society seems to have a bit more common sense and decency. Businesses don't seem to be as scrupulous and politically driven.

TBH, I don't think the vast majority of Americans will ever notice a difference. The vast majority of information is already filtered by those disclosing it and we all have the attention span of a fruit fly. Someday down the road we'll look back and notice say, "wait a minute, I haven't seen anything about ____ recently. What ever happened with that?" and then we'll resume scrolling and forget about it again.

I'll trust in the free market.

This is my simplistic comparison as this previous action was in place of a "could"

For example I "could" charge everyone that uses this site a fee to access it. And I would have like 2 members and it would cease to exist because people would just find an equivalent free alternative, or someone would make a free version and people would
Migrate there

^^^ Assuming there is a free market alternative. For many Americans, their options are very limited.

Look at something like Electricity. You have the "option" to get it anywhere, but in your region the only supplier is Xcel Energy. Because of these regional monopolies, they are regulated by the Public Utilities Commission (PUC) to ensure rates remain "fair". If your only local internet provider is Comcast, who prevents them from jacking your rates or limiting access to certain websites?

I'll trust in the free market.

This is my simplistic comparison as this previous action was in place of a "could"

For example I "could" charge everyone that uses this site a fee to access it. And I would have like 2 members and it would cease to exist because people would just find an equivalent free alternative, or someone would make a free version and people would
Migrate there
That reminds me I need to renew. 

Can someone please tell me any positives that come from the net neutrality repeal for the 99.9% of the population that is not an ISP? Having trouble seeing how this isn't just and opportunity for my bills to go up.

I'm all for free market when it creates competition that has the potential to lower prices or provide a superior service but that is not what I see going on here. 

and what is going on? What was the problem that was supposedly "fixed" by the Obummer administration when this was passed a few years ago?

If the providers start royally screwing people (like they have been doing since the dawn of their existence, the market will compensate and something better will come along) sort of like how we all used to go to blockbuster video a few decades ago to pay $5 bucks to rent a movie..

Net Neutrality was a solution in search of a problem.  Look at how far the internet advanced without the government stepping in to "protect" it.  The end result of treating an ISP like an electric utility is that you wind up with the same service and quality as any other monopoly.

Not trying to enter a debate. Really trying to understand how this will benefit the nation as whole. It has been proven that the capital being spent on R&D and infrastructure related to the internet was not effected by the regulation. And I hate using the word regulation like I'm for it but won't this just give the ISPs the opportunity to regulate how, what, and at what speed we use the internet? Sure I could just not use the internet or invent an alternative but realistically where is the benefit the general public?

Not trying to enter a debate. Really trying to understand how this will benefit the nation as whole. It has been proven that the capital being spent on R&D and infrastructure related to the internet was not effected by the regulation. And I hate using the word regulation like I'm for it but won't this just give the ISPs the opportunity to regulate how, what, and at what speed we use the internet? Sure I could just not use the internet or invent an alternative but realistically where is the benefit the general public?
For just one minor benefit, less federal regulation means fewer federal workers to enforce the regulation, which means smaller federal government, and ultimately a smaller deficit.  Now, it could mean a smaller tax bill to you, but realistically it won't pan out to that.

But any time the federal government has less power... that's a good thing. 

kTrT1BD.jpg

I didn't read all the comments, but I can't tell if some of you are joking or not... there was absolutely an existing problem.  Providers were picking and choosing which services that you had full and faster access to.  That IS NOT okay.  Comcast did it with BitTorrent, ATT did it with FaceTime, Verizon did it with Netflix.  I don't want Comcast to limit my speed while I watch DirectvNOW service because I don't subscribe to Comcast TV.  Do you???

Imagine.  Comcast, which does not have a stake in Netflix.  But does have a stake in Hulu.  They can now be allowed to provide better service to those that subscribe to Hulu than to Netflix.  And I don't have another ISP choice where I live.  How can anyone support this.  The internet should be a "dumb pipe" of information, freely and openly flowing, to those big corporations like Netflix, and small start ups that don't have money to pay Comcast for a better/faster service.  It's totally asinine 

And if you don't believe that the Government should regulate the internet a la China, then how can you agree it is okay for big corporations to regulate what websites you visit.  Hold them to the same standard, and they won't do it through Capitalism, there's only a handful of these nearly monopolistic internet providers in most areas.  Otherwise, I just think you guys don't know what you're talking about.  You hear the word "regulation" and you think "that's wrong!", but you can't honestly be as intelligent to have your PE license and also not agree with Net Neutrality.

Back